Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Calving advice

• 31-01-2021 9:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭

So what's the rule of thumb ye all go by?
    How long would you leave a cow, heifer if the feet were showing before intervention? Etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

How long would you leave a cow, heifer if the feet were showing before intervention? Etc

I'd give a cow at least an hour and I'd leave a heifer 2 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭tanko

I'd give a cow at least an hour and I'd leave a heifer 2 hours.

I'd agree with that once the feet appear.

I find that it's when the feet don't appear at all that the real problems occur, big calf, foot down, cow/heifer not opened up enough, calf backways/upside down, lazy cow or twins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

tanko wrote: »
    I'd agree with that once the feet appear.

I find that it's when the feet don't appear at all that the real problems occur, big calf, foot down, cow/heifer not opened up enough, calf backways/upside down, lazy cow or twins.

Agreed, I've often handled them to make sure things are right and let them off again to calf themselves if they were able. They won't open right if the calf isn't up right in the channel anyway. Had a couple last year that were so big they couldn't even put out the tips of the legs as well so there's nothing set in stone really. Still if things are in order no point rushing in too quickly either, if things are progressing I'd be inclined to leave them at it once the legs aren't too big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 832 ✭✭✭cacs

I like to leave them 2 hours. Check the toes pointing the right way. Progress is the most important thing. When ever a cow has a big calf she almost knows and does little or no work herself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I think the calf has to come tru the cervix to stimulate the contractions. That's why cows don't push if the calf is coming wrong. I notice here if I put in my hand and rub lubricant around the cervix, the cow will start pushing like mad. I try and do this if I'm pulling a calf. The cow works with you then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 832 ✭✭✭cacs

I think the calf has to come tru the cervix to stimulate the contractions. That's why cows don't push if the calf is coming wrong. I notice here if I put in my hand and rub lubricant around the cervix, the cow will start pushing like mad. I try and do this if I'm pulling a calf. The cow works with you then.
    thats great advice patsy i did not know that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Base price

cacs wrote: »
    thats great advice patsy i did not know that
    Didn't know it either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Base price wrote: »
    Didn't know it either.

Press the top of your hand up against the roof of the canal makes them force too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Ya, I'd often push the calf back a bit so I can get back to the pelvic opening. I'd cup my hand facing upwards and fill it with lubricant. Rub it all around and on the calves head aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Thanks for the replies. Sometimes it's hard to know how long to wait when u see the feet out. As someone suggested here, handle the cow and if the calf is coming the right way leave her alone for a while. If there is no progress after an hour, intervene then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Best time to intervene is when you are putting the cow incalf. Pay more attention to ease of calving and save yourself a share of torment.
    The dead ones don't pay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Thanks for the replies. Sometimes it's hard to know how long to wait when u see the feet out. As someone suggested here, handle the cow and if the calf is coming the right way leave her alone for a while. If there is no progress after an hour, intervene then

Just one thing, if you haven't seen the cows for a good few hours and you find one with the crubes out, then you wont know how long they have been in this position and not making progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭148multi

Just one thing, if you haven't seen the cows for a good few hours and you find one with the crubes out, then you wont know how long they have been in this position and not making progress.

If I found myself in that situation I would Handle the cow, if everything is okay another I hour keeping an eye on her.
    As long as the calf isn't distressed and she's not calving long enough for placenta to detach, Time would be on my side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Genrerally around an hour once they show feet. Check everything is where it should be and then leave for another 45mins-1hr.

Advertisement