Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike on adverts almost certainly stolen

Options
  • 31-01-2021 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭

If it's very obvious a bike on adverts is a stolen bike, is there anything that can be done about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

How do you know it's stolen?

Report the ad to adverts/Gardai

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

07Lapierre wrote: »

I don't, hense the the phrase "almost certainly" in the thread title.

It's a brand new bike, not a scratch, selling for a sixth of its retail value of €2500+ with one single badly angled photo and zero detail in the description .

It's a suspicion. Without more information is it a case of move on and ignore?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's a 'report ad' link on each ad.
    a few years ago, when a friend's stolen bike was placed on adverts, they were quite helpful.

Post a link to the ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭fat bloke

A quick search for bikes around 600 quid reveals a fairly shiny purple "Giant Racer"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭fat bloke

600 quid for a 2020 Defy Advanced 1 is certainly. .. (ahem)... a steal

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭secman

fat bloke wrote: »
    600 quid for a 2020 Defy Advanced 1 is certainly. .. (ahem)... a steal

Looks suspect alright :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Grey tracksuit and cash literally in hand is hardly an endorsement. Previous sales of electric scooters might match this line of business. I would hope the Guards might be happy to do a sting here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Yep robbed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭De Bhál

secman wrote: »
    Looks suspect alright :(

I like that yer man holding the bike in the picture has a hand full of cash. It just adds that little bit of extra class to the whole thing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Just go straight to the gardai. Telling adverts you think something is stolen does not really help. The gardai are the ones to talk to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Someone is going to get a bargain

Dont report it to adverts, report it straight to the gardai, let them recover it properly if stolen, catch the fecks..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Garda won’t be interested, it’ll be noted in the big book in the station and that’ll be the end of it!

If you contact any site and say I THINK that is stolen, there is not a whole they can do about it.

The only people who can act are the gardai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

They are too busy policing holy wells.

Boards.ie members should set up a sting.... if Reddit can tank the stocks market then boards.ie can sabotage the sale of a stolen bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Certainly nicked, the clothing gives it away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

Boards.ie members should set up a sting.... if Reddit can tank the stocks market then boards.ie can sabotage the sale of a stolen bike.

Boards.ie couldn’t organise a fire in a match factory.

Ad has been withdrawn.

• Advertisement

Ad has been withdrawn.
    And now he and the bike can disappear into the night. No chance of recovering it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

for jaysus sake

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

folks - when there are suspected ads of stolen equipment on adverts, please *don't* name the seller in the thread. you're basically accusing someone of theft with no proof.
    also, as seems to have been sensibly done above, don't place a link to any ads. for two reasons; a) you've no proof, if it is legit this could be libellous; and b) it could alert the seller, if it's not legit.

as i alluded to above, a friend of mine was one of the lucky few who got his bike back after it was spotted by a poster here, on adverts, and the adverts team were very good; they deliberately left the ad up so as not to alert the seller, and ringfenced the data they would have had on the backend lest the gardai request it. in this scenario, it wasn't required, the gardai brought my friend along to the sting operation.

also, reporting a bike stolen to the gardai i suspect would be a futile exercise unless you are the owner or are able to state that you know the bike is stolen. the gardai are not going to initiate sting operations based on a hunch.

folks - when there are suspected ads of stolen equipment on adverts, please *don't* name the seller in the thread. you're basically accusing someone of theft with no proof.
    also, as seems to have been sensibly done above, don't place a link to any ads. for two reasons; a) you've no proof, if it is legit this could be libellous; and b) it could alert the seller, if it's not legit.

as i alluded to above, a friend of mine was one of the lucky few who got his bike back after it was spotted by a poster here, on adverts, and the adverts team were very good; they deliberately left the ad up so as not to alert the seller, and ringfenced the data they would have had on the backend lest the gardai request it. in this scenario, it wasn't required, the gardai brought my friend along to the sting operation.

also, reporting a bike stolen to the gardai i suspect would be a futile exercise unless you are the owner or are able to state that you know the bike is stolen. the gardai are not going to initiate sting operations based on a hunch.

I knew a sting operation was the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Cerveza wrote: »
    They are too busy policing holy wells.

Because it's Bridget's day? Lol really

• Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭corks finest

I reported to Adverts last year about a couple of scamners selling phones from a supposedly bricks and mortar establishment in Donegal and elsewhere,
    Guys were vv vague when I asked them exactly where in Donegal was the shop as I lived up in Derry for 20 years but from Cork I know that part of the world intimately.
    Myself and 2 others kept at him-them, told him I screenshot the conversation we had(supplied a number but not a land-line),
    Told him straight up I knew he was scamming, and had already contacted the Gardai he eventually admitted there was no shop and he was being paid to put up ads on adverts and be a middleman to pass on details about buyers etc, and that he physically didn't have or seen any of the products advertised,
    Reported several times to Adverts but the adds were still up a week later

I reported to Adverts last year about a couple of scamners selling phones from a supposedly bricks and mortar establishment in Donegal and elsewhere,
    Guys were vv vague when I asked them exactly where in Donegal was the shop as I lived up in Derry for 20 years but from Cork I know that part of the world intimately.
    Myself and 2 others kept at him-them, told him I screenshot the conversation we had(supplied a number but not a land-line),
    Told him straight up I knew he was scamming, and had already contacted the Gardai he eventually admitted there was no shop and he was being paid to put up ads on adverts and be a middleman to pass on details about buyers etc, and that he physically didn't have or seen any of the products advertised,
    Reported several times to Adverts but the adds were still up a week later

There is nothing in that post that is illegal. Saying he had a shop, but he didnt isn't. Passing on buyers info to the people who say they have phones is not either. Could have been across the border. Although, it could still be enough to have it removed if the info was collaborated.

There is nothing in that post that is illegal. Saying he had a shop, but he didnt isn't. Passing on buyers info to the people who say they have phones is not either. Could have been across the border.

Copied his texts and screenshot of same when he admitted there were no phones, and the ppl dealing with him weren't even in Europe and were using his bank details for potential buyers to lodge money which he then was paid a commission
    My point is there were no phones, yet the pictures on the link supplied photos of ppl purportedly in Letterkennyand and and other Irish areas receiving phones in a bricks n mortar establishment, and giving glowing reviews, all totally fabricated.
    Link supplied by this conman put you to a messenger contact list where other ppl outside the state tried to relieve u of your hard earned.

There were no phones, and dissappeared after a week on adverts verified this, co incidentally the same adds were on DD, also vanished

All this was reported to Adverts

Copied his texts and screenshot of same when he admitted there were no phones, and the ppl dealing with him weren't even in Europe and were using his bank details for potential buyers to lodge money which he then was paid a commission
    My point is there were no phones, yet the pictures on the link supplied photos of ppl purportedly in Letterkennyand and and other Irish areas receiving phones in a bricks n mortar establishment, and giving glowing reviews, all totally fabricated.
    Link supplied by this conman put you to a messenger contact list where other ppl outside the state tried to relieve u of your hard earned.

There were no phones, and dissappeared after a week on adverts verified this, co incidentally the same adds were on DD, also vanished

All this was reported to Adverts
    That makes more sense.

• Advertisement

there's a 'report ad' link on each ad.
    a few years ago, when a friend's stolen bike was placed on adverts, they were quite helpful.

I found them v slow to act tbh

Advertisement