Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike on adverts almost certainly stolen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭corks finest

That makes more sense.

Sorry just too lazy to give a detailed text, phones were far too cheap, and I repeatedly asked for a landline number in any part of the country to verify what was advertised was legal etc he declined,,,, and other ppl requested the same but adverts kept it on their site for over a week after all this

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I found them v slow to act tbh

I recovered a stolen bike from adverts. I reported it at the time and adverts left it up until I had carried out my plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭corks finest

I recovered a stolen bike from adverts. I reported it at the time and adverts left it up until I had carried out my plan.

Fair dues

• Registered Users Posts: 9,867 ✭✭✭billyhead

I had a bike stolen before and put up on Adverts. I arranged to meet the seller in a sting operation which was 200 meters from the local Garda station. The intention was to meet and take it for a test ride to the station and report the seller their and then . Unfortunately the seller got cold feet 2 hours before the meet up and withdrew the add. The fecker was also selling garden tools @ equipment and other bikes. I reported him to adverts who do directed me to the Guards. They logged it in the book and I never heard from them again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Indeed, you played smart. This bike is gone now, never to be seen again, and the seller as well.
    The pile in that occured last night has done nobody any good.
    From the original post here to the ad being withdrawn, that looks like what, 90 mins or so? Not bad late at night. You also would not know how long it was being looked at and considered before something happened and by whom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Cerveza wrote: »
    They are too busy policing holy wells.

Have you heard of this global pandemic that is ongoing? Stopping groups of people congregating is an important part of their job now.

Belief in some all powerful sky being does not make anyone immune from catching and spreading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Its back up on the Cycle Buy & Sell Ireland FB page

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

He has it up on the Facebook group "Cycling Buy and Sell Ireland" now the fecker....

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    Its back up on the Cycle Buy & Sell Ireland FB page
    Good luck getting Facebook to act on anything.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

AmberGold wrote: »
    He has it up on the Facebook group "Cycling Buy and Sell Ireland" now the fecker....

Link? Can't see it this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Link? Can't see it this morning.

It was withdrawn when he was called out for it being stolen. I screen shot the ad and the sellers profile page. 99.9999% stolen. It was a purple fleck carbon defy and looked pretty new and he was selling it for €600 or best offer. When asked what size it was he replied, its a Giant Defy and then got all mouthy about wasting his time when asked to show the receipts he said he has.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

You called him out on the Facebook Group "(Cycling Products for Sale) Buy and Sell Ireland"?

I went over there minutes after someone earlier said it had moved from Adverts to there, couldn't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Indeed, you played smart. This bike is gone now, never to be seen again, and the seller as well.
    The pile in that occured last night has done nobody any good.

Not sure about that now. See a fire, shout "fire". Don't think it helps anyone to keep schtum and say nothing either.
    There isn't a whole lot can be done from a forum point of view but the ad has been removed which at least temporarily thwarted a sale and, worse, an unwitting purchase. A lot more people know about the bike, anyone watching the ad has an awareness of the bike being (possibly) dodgy. Ditto for any facebook users watching it. And if it crops up again, maybe we'll whack another mole. It's not going to put an end to bike-crime but... better than nuthin' innit, surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I named the seller's user name earlier in the thread. I knew it would be deleted by the mods. I'm not trying to wind the mods up, but I find it so frustrating that there's we need to muzzle ourselves on what seems like reasonable cause for suspicion. Our society has its priorities arseways. Anyway, that's another discussion.

Apologies to the mods. I probably could have made the point without naming the seller's username.

fat bloke wrote: »
    Not sure about that now. See a fire, shout "fire". Don't think it helps anyone to keep schtum and say nothing either.
    There isn't a whole lot can be done from a forum point of view but the ad has been removed which at least temporarily thwarted a sale and, worse, an unwitting purchase. A lot more people know about the bike, anyone watching the ad has an awareness of the bike being (possibly) dodgy. Ditto for any facebook users watching it. And if it crops up again, maybe we'll whack another mole. It's not going to put an end to bike-crime but... better than nuthin' innit, surely?

If the gardai had have been mobilised, they could have "bought" it and jumped him. That is not keeping schtum.

He got away and is free to rob more (if it was stolen)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭fat bloke

If the gardai had have been mobilised, they could have "bought" it and jumped him. That is not keeping schtum.

He got away and is free to rob more (if it was stolen)

The consensus however seems to be that the guards would do nothing of the sort?

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭clevtrev

I visited 2 garda stations when my bike was put up on Adverts.ie. The first garda station asked where it was stolen from and when I told them they said it was outside of their area and to go to the garda station in that locality (Donnybrook). Not sure why it was relevant regarding where the bike was stolen from when it was sitting on the adverts.ie. Anyway when I got to that Donnybrook the station was closed for the night at 21:00. Obviously not a lot of night time crime to be tackled in Donnybrook!

I Didn't really feel the garda had any interest in helping - I think the days of stings by the Garda to help you get your bike back are far and few between.

Similar to a kidnapping time is of the essence so I bid on the bike and got it back myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

MojoMaker wrote: »
    You called him out on the Facebook Group "(Cycling Products for Sale) Buy and Sell Ireland"?

I went over there minutes after someone earlier said it had moved from Adverts to there, couldn't see it.

No not me, someone else did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

clevtrev wrote: »
    I visited 2 garda stations when my bike was put up on Adverts.ie. The first garda station asked where it was stolen from and when I told them they said it was outside of their area and to go to the garda station in that locality (Donnybrook). Not sure why it was relevant regarding where the bike was stolen from when it was sitting on the adverts.ie. Anyway when I got to that Donnybrook the station was closed for the night at 21:00. Obviously not a lot of night time crime to be tackled in Donnybrook!

I Didn't really feel the garda had any interest in helping - I think the days of stings by the Garda to help you get your bike back are far and few between.

Similar to a kidnapping time is of the essence so I bid on the bike and got it back myself.

This is pretty shocking. Sounds stupid but you have to ring Joe Duffy on something like that. Unless you spoke to the Super and got a very positive response.

How did it go down meeting the scobe who had your bike?

And the alterative is they will ABSOLUTELY do nothing of the sort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

It's now on Twitter @stolenbikesdub.

It includes the seller's details for the curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭clevtrev

a148pro wrote: »
    This is pretty shocking. Sounds stupid but you have to ring Joe Duffy on something like that. Unless you spoke to the Super and got a very positive response.

How did it go down meeting the scobe who had your bike?

I just called him out on adverts/ie He immediately took down the ad. Claimed he bought it in good faith for 100 quid. I gave him 50 and collected it outside the flats. so a decent scobe story that ended well

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

And the alterative is they will ABSOLUTELY do nothing of the sort.

However blatant it might appear, the Guards can't act because someone thinks a bike might be stolen - that's hearsay. The only way they can act is a written statement from the owner

• Registered Users Posts: 2 E Lawless

Yis rats

Interestingly, if you search for the individual on Facebook, it returns a post he made selling the bike to a group called "Bikes Under A €1000" where he was also kind enough to post his Eircode.

Click into his profile, and it's not the first Giant bike he's "sold" in that group either.

541776.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Facebook marketplace is another joke.

Some bikes up for less than the cost of the group set.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 E Lawless

Interestingly, if you search for the individual on Facebook, it returns a post he made selling the bike to a group called "Bikes Under A €1000" where he was also kind enough to post his Eircode.

Click into his profile, and it's not the first Giant bike he's "sold" in that group either.
    Take dat down ye rat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

E Lawless wrote: »
    Take dat down ye rat

Why - when we see a dirty thieving rat, normal people call it as it is.

Name em. And hopefully someone will teach the rotten gits.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

E Lawless, don't post in this thread again.
    Everyone else, please don't respond to this poster as they won't be able to reply.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

However blatant it might appear, the Guards can't act because someone thinks a bike might be stolen - that's hearsay. The only way they can act is a written statement from the owner
    this, again. the garda's reaction would be 'so there's this bike you know nothing about; have no evidence either way except a hunch - and you want us to do what about it?'
    even if the person has given their address, the gardai would need a warrant to search, and what judge is going to sign one off based on an online ad?

Advertisement