Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike on adverts almost certainly stolen

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

It’s funny on google maps how one of the houses at that eircode is entirely fuzzed out....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Why - when we see a dirty thieving rat, normal people call it as it is.

Name em. And hopefully someone will teach the rotten gits.

please read post #24 about naming the seller.

I caught (seen :-)) a guy robbing a neighbours bike. Followed him. Got a photo. Called the Garda told them where the guy was and what he was wearing. They took my details. Never contacted me. Left note for owner to contact me and I gave them the photo. They reported it. Garda called over to them. Photo shown of guy cycling away on stolen bike. Offered to Garda said no. Case closed. No investigation. Bike never seen again. This guy was easily identifiable.
    Welcome to Garda bike theft investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    I caught a guy robbing a bike. Followed him. Got a photo. Called the Garda told them where the guy was a s wHt he was wearing. They took my details. Never contacted me. Left note for owner to contact me and I gave them the photo. They reported it. Garda called over to them. Photo shown of guy cycling away on stolen bike. Offered to Garda said no. Case closed. No investigation. Bike never seen again. This guy was easily identifiable.
    Welcome to bike theft investigation.

It’s Stories like that makes me realise Cagney and Lacey need to come out of retirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    please read post #24 about naming the seller.

Was only ranting, I know naming is not allowed on boards.

Need a Facebook page for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Interestingly, if you search for the individual on Facebook, it returns a post he made selling the bike to a group called "Bikes Under A €1000" where he was also kind enough to post his Eircode.

Click into his profile, and it's not the first Giant bike he's "sold" in that group either.

541776.PNG

Different eircode on every ad.

Was only ranting, I know naming is not allowed on boards.

Need a Facebook page for that.

It was I that allegedly named them, that is if they really are silly enough to use their real name, and photo on the ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭fat bloke

And the alterative is they will ABSOLUTELY do nothing of the sort.

So what should we have done, or what should we do next time a bike is for sale and suspected stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭corks finest

Oberkon wrote: »
    It’s Stories like that makes me realise Cagney and Lacey need to come out of retirement.

Jack Frost is the man

• Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭corks finest

clevtrev wrote: »
    I visited 2 garda stations when my bike was put up on Adverts.ie. The first garda station asked where it was stolen from and when I told them they said it was outside of their area and to go to the garda station in that locality (Donnybrook). Not sure why it was relevant regarding where the bike was stolen from when it was sitting on the adverts.ie. Anyway when I got to that Donnybrook the station was closed for the night at 21:00. Obviously not a lot of night time crime to be tackled in Donnybrook!

I Didn't really feel the garda had any interest in helping - I think the days of stings by the Garda to help you get your bike back are far and few between.

Similar to a kidnapping time is of the essence so I bid on the bike and got it back myself.

Ask for an appointment with the local inspector that is they only time the sergeant will listen, might take time but someone will get a bollocking at least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

If you contact any site and say I THINK that is stolen, there is not a whole they can do about it.

The only people who can act are the gardai.

Contacted adverts in a similar situation in the past, they never replied.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,034 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Different eircode on every ad.

Eircodes have seven characters, not six.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,034 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It’s funny on google maps how one of the houses at that eircode is entirely fuzzed out....

There's one house for any Eircode.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

fat bloke wrote: »
    So what should we have done, or what should we do next time a bike is for sale and suspected stolen.
    not much, i can suspect. as per above, the gardai are not going to act, or be able to act, on the word of someone who has suspicions about a small ad, but has no connection to the bike whatsoever.

adverts could possibly hellban an ad, but i don't think that'd make sense as it'd be too easy to suss out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It has 7 characters - one was covered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Contacted adverts in a similar situation in the past, they never replied.
    this, again. the garda's reaction would be 'so there's this bike you know nothing about; have no evidence either way except a hunch - and you want us to do what about it?'
    even if the person has given their address, the gardai would need a warrant to search, and what judge is going to sign one off based on an online ad?

This. ~

Thank you for the lesson in eircodes. However this particular chap has a different eircode on every ad he has up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

There's one house for any Eircode.

I know its just the first time I have ever seen that in a residential property

I know its just the first time I have ever seen that in a residential property

Sometimes when construction work is going on this is done

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭rdwight

Boards.ie members should set up a sting.... if Reddit can tank the stocks market then boards.ie can sabotage the sale of a stolen bike.

Sounds like a good idea, but fraught with all kinds of risks. Citizens taking up slack from Garda didn't turn out so well for anyone when Brazilian guys tried it on East Wall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

boombang wrote: »
    I named the seller's user name earlier in the thread. I knew it would be deleted by the mods. I'm not trying to wind the mods up, but I find it so frustrating that there's we need to muzzle ourselves on what seems like reasonable cause for suspicion. Our society has its priorities arseways. Anyway, that's another discussion.

Apologies to the mods. I probably could have made the point without naming the seller's username.

In fairness i support the mods on these things - imagine we lost boards.ie as a resource because you'd like to name a potential criminal.. I guess that is the risk they would highlight (same reason they stop talk of anything not by the book/legal)

It's not like naming them will really matter - what can we do.

And then again i would love to be able to name and shame them myself.

Advertisement