Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do I do with Battleborn now? Don't buy Godfall.

• 01-02-2021 2:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭

Battleborn is dead.
    Gearbox shut it down.
    I bought it and never played it didn't know about it shutting down.
    I found out today and now have a useless piece of plastic.

Imagine the waste when Destiny and both Divisions shutdown.
    In an age where we're supposed to be looking after the planet and now we're stuck with all these Battleborn discs that are good for nothing.
    I'm outraged.

Don't buy Godfall.
    That game will die probably quicker than this did as most gamers can't buy a PS5 anyway(scalpers have them all bought up) and the fact it is rubbish anyway.
    Gearbox are bastards.
    Won't even let people play the single player portion.

These online only games are a massive waste.
    They should be free.
    Physical copies of them are completely redundant.
    I'll have to play Destiny before that's deleted out of existence.
    I unfortunately bought that too.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Well the original Destiny was released in Sept 2014 and is still active. Destiny 2 is still very much alive and kicking.

Some game servers are taken offline, thats been going on for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Moral of the story, buy digital, help the planet...

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ozmo

quinnd6 wrote: »
    Battleborn is dead.
    Gearbox shut it down.
    I bought it and never played it didn't know about it shutting down.

Never played it ... But see It was only released in May 2016, so that's a pretty surprising short life-

Knowing servers go away like this is why I got the disk version of the PS5 - understand multiplayer going away - but if they kill the single player mode of games - well that just negates that and is just unfair.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Eh did battleborne not die like 3 or 4 years ago?

I remember getting it for a fiver in Argos.

Not a bad game to be fair. Didn’t work out for them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭quinnd6

dar83 wrote: »
    Moral of the story, buy digital, help the planet...

:pac:

Haha yeah right.
    Buy digital is bs overpriced games most of the time.
    I only spent 3 euros in GameStop on it anyway.
    3 wasted euros.
    Anyway I'll make sure and play Destiny before it's kicked to the kerb.
    I have Destiny the Collection.
    My PS Plus ran out unfortunately but going to play the campaign part.
    Can't be bothered spending another 60 on a PS Plus sub.
    I'm not really a multiplayer gamer prefer single player story stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

You are going to be let down by destiny so :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

In an age where we're supposed to be looking after the planet and now we're stuck with all these Battleborn discs that are good for nothing.

Even if the game was live the effect on the planet would be the same.

Why did you buy two multiplayer games then?

Destiny is 99.99% an online multiplayer game.

I could be wrong but as far as I remember Battleborn was 100% multiplayer?

Some strange choices on your part.

Why did you buy two multiplayer games then?

Destiny is 99.99% an online multiplayer game.

I could be wrong but as far as I remember Battleborn was 100% multiplayer?

Some strange choices on your part.

Destiny the collection has single player campaigns. Battleborn was very cheap and had some single player in it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Haha yeah right.
    Buy digital is bs overpriced games most of the time.
    I only spent 3 euros in GameStop on it anyway.
    3 wasted euros.
    Anyway I'll make sure and play Destiny before it's kicked to the kerb.
    I have Destiny the Collection.
    My PS Plus ran out unfortunately but going to play the campaign part.
    Can't be bothered spending another 60 on a PS Plus sub.

Are you for real? You created this whole topic over €3? :p

As someone else said, you're not going to be happy with Destiny if you're not playing it online, it's severely limited as a single player experience and probably not rewarding as an experience that way either, so just be prepared to

If you're against spending money, then maybe gaming isn't the hobby for you. :D

• Advertisement

dar83 wrote: »
    Are you for real? You created this whole topic over €3? :p

As someone else said, you're not going to be happy with Destiny if you're not playing it online, it's severely limited as a single player experience and probably not rewarding as an experience that way either, so just be prepared to

If you're against spending money, then maybe gaming isn't the hobby for you. :D

No you don't get it.
    It's the principle involved here.
    This is the problem with these types of games.
    It's about how a developer can turn off these online only games anytime they want and not give any notification.
    I booted up this game only once to try it out.
    People should be notified before these games get shutdown so they get to play them.
    There should be the ability to play the single player missions offline but no they wouldn't do that.
    The disc is completely useless now.
    It's about the environment and also the publisher and developer not caring about the gamer.

Oh gaming is the hobby for me I've been playing and enjoying games all my life.
    If a game doesn't have decent missions and a story that can be enjoyed in single player then I probably made a mistake in buying it.
    I have lots of games to play and I spent money on them.
    I'll try to play through it on my own anyway.
    I might come back to it as a multiplayer game when I get through my backlog if it still exists at that stage(it probably won't).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,313 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

No you don't get it.
    It's the principle involved here.
    This is the problem with these types of games.
    It's about how a developer can turn off these online only games anytime they want and not give any notification.
    I booted up this game only once to try it out.
    People should be notified before these games get shutdown so they get to play them.
    There should be the ability to play the single player missions offline but no they wouldn't do that.
    The disc is completely useless now.
    It's about the environment and also the publisher and developer not caring about the gamer.

Oh gaming is the hobby for me I've been playing and enjoying games all my life.
    If a game doesn't have decent missions and a story that can be enjoyed in single player then I probably made a mistake in buying it.
    I have lots of games to play and I spent money on them.
    I'll try to play through it on my own anyway.
    I might come back to it as a multiplayer game when I get through my backlog if it still exists at that stage(it probably won't).

They announced in November 2019 that they were beginning the process of shutting the servers down.

https://twitter.com/Battleborn/status/1199056777804795904?s=19

Not sure how much more notice you needed in fairness.

Edit: click the tweet to open the thread. For some reason 2/3 isn't showing above.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    They announced in November 2019 that they were beginning the process of shutting the servers down.

https://twitter.com/Battleborn/status/1199056777804795904?s=19

Not sure how much more notice you needed in fairness.

Edit: click the tweet to open the thread. For some reason 2/3 isn't showing above.

I didn't follow Battleborn on Twitter so I didn't know.
    This game has basically had sweet feck all coverage in years anyway.
    It only got headlines when it came out first and then when it was too bloody late.
    So excuse me for not knowing about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I read reviews before I buy a game , there's
    free games like cod Warzone , fortnite etc
    Unless a game is a big seller expect its online servers to be closed in a year.

After overwatch. There were a few hero shooters released like battleborn
    crucible lawbreakers they all bombed
    It's not easy to design an online shooter
    with the superb design and character of overwatch
    Amazon is spending 500 million on its games studio . It has no success so far.
    Warzone is a battle royale based on cod
    and its well designed
    Games need to be designed now to be
    viewed on twitch easy to watch
    Battleborn was a hard game to watch
    with weird characters and random
    Special effects around characters as the
    used various weapons and powers
    Valorant is based on csgo its easy to watch with well designed characters
    Visual design is more important now
    when so many gamers buy games based
    on watching streamers on twitch or
    YouTube
    It makes no sense for company's to keep
    servers going when no one is playing the
    game or buying items or skins
    Games like csgo can keep servers going
    cos people are still buying the game and
    buying weapon skins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Battleborn arrived DOA
    Overwatch killed it stone dead when it was released

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Skerries wrote: »
    Battleborn arrived DOA
    Overwatch killed it stone dead when it was released

I remember watching a genuine youtuber call it that it had nothing to compete with Overwatch and that it wasn't going to last. Another genuine youtuber has made the same comments about Godfall, though it is getting easier to identify cash grab muck like Godfall, The Avengers, etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,197 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I don't think Godfall is a cash grab, but it's certainly not a finished game. Seems like they put a lot of effort into the combat and visuals, and then kinda rushed the rest out there. There's a good game behind it, but they don't seem to have finished it yet. I enjoyed my bit of time with it, but end-game there's really nothing to do. Can't speak on the MP side of things (if there is one, can you team up in it?). It's worth €20 as a single player game, just for the combat and visuals anyway. Will be interesting to see if they stick with it or forget it. It also has plenty of loot for those who are interested, and unlike other games I found myself swapping more often, so not all useless loot.

But it is missing the ability to customise your character, something that is 100% needed for an online game to stay alive imo. Especially one that's trying to be Hack 'n' Slash Destiny. It's also faily buggy, but I only noticed this after finishing the main quest, you're supposed to be able to complete multiple grind missions after you finish the main one, but it only works for 1 and you have to end the level then.

I did want it to be good though, so i'm probably less likely to outright dislike it. They either need to put a lot of work into the end-game content and fix the issues, or they need to make it F2P soon, otherwise it will die if it hasn't already. Not sure what Gearbox are like for supporting these types of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Cotts72

This tread is very humerous .. The loss of 3euro...haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Why are some of the poster writing in free verse?

I didn't follow Battleborn on Twitter so I didn't know.
    This game has basically had sweet feck all coverage in years anyway.
    It only got headlines when it came out first and then when it was too bloody late.
    So excuse me for not knowing about it.

Would you like publishers to write you a letter?

The world and it’s mother knew this game was dead.

I’m beginning to think you’re trolling.

You say you’ve been gaming all your life but have little to no understanding of how the industry works.

Online games like Battleborn or Destiny will die. It’s just a matter of how long before they do. This is completely dependant on the player base.

Destiny 2 is ancient at this stage but its still being played by a lot of people.

The story is about 1% of the experience.

If you want a 1player campaign driven FPS buy Doom Eternal.

Conversely to Destiny its online experience was a complete afterthought but the campaign is superb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I was having a tough time what with the economic instability, the tensions flaring up all over the world and the continuing Covid crisis but this news about Battleborn has tipped me over the edge...

Sorry, I probably should have
    written it like this:

Why was there no campaign
    to let us know the hour
    of its death, no plaintive
    cries arose from the crowd,
    No ads heard on passing
    by the radio,
    The coffee cup is still warm
    but a shiver clings to my neck
    The earth can not be saved
    no more than my three euro.
    Proclamations, there were none
    No experts on plastics were on hand
    The bargain bins still hawked
    their wares, inviting me into
    their sliding mountain of
    failed hopes and dashed dreams,
    They did not warn me, no
    They did not speak,
    And I was left unaware
    because I never saw the Tweet....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Niska

This thread has reminded me to check when I'm next in my local GameStop (if there is a next time) if they still have that copy of Tabula Rasa they've been trying to sell for the last decade+.

Ok.
    Ye are all kinda missing the point of my post.
    The real point to be made here is it is a shame that these games will be lost forever.
    I never got to play Battleborn except for a brief moment just to check I didn't get a dud copy when I bought it.
    I don't think I missed out on much.
    I'm enjoying Destiny anyway it's fine I haven't come across any issues with having to grind so far.
    Anyway nice that I inspired some poetry ☺️.

Ok.
    The real point to be made here is it is a shame that these games will be lost forever.
    I never got to play Battleborn except for a brief moment just to check I didn't get a dud copy when I bought it.
    I'm enjoying Destiny anyway it's fine I haven't come across any issues with having to grind so far.

Well if your enjoying destiny then give destiny 2 a shot aswell, it's free 2 play.

Ok.

I think you’re missing the point.

Online only games which is essentially what Destiny is are only alive as long as they have a player base.

This isn’t a new concept. Plenty of games have worked this way for the past decade or so.

I was watchin a YouTuber the other day playing online games on PS3. Lots of games are still going on that!!

Destiny was one, COD as well.

Battleborn was DOA to be fair. It just never caught on.

Trying to think of that recent EA shooter that launched at €25 or something and then went down to a fiver and then recently free on a monthly PS+.

It’s not a bad game but they screwed themselves by not making it ftp like Apex which has been a huge success for them.

Oh and lastly I get your point about games being lost forever. I just don’t think it really matters for these online only type games. You’re either there at the time or not.

What does piss me right off though is licensing issues. Scott Pilgrim v the World is a great recent example.
    I didn’t get to play it at the time and then it got pulled. Thankfully got to play it now with the rerelease. Great little game. Playing it through with the kids. Fun.

I think you’re missing the point.

Online only games which is essentially what Destiny is are only alive as long as they have a player base.

This isn’t a new concept. Plenty of games have worked this way for the past decade or so.

I was watchin a YouTuber the other day playing online games on PS3. Lots of games are still going on that!!

Destiny was one, COD as well.

Battleborn was DOA to be fair. It just never caught on.

Trying to think of that recent EA shooter that launched at €25 or something and then went down to a fiver and then recently free on a monthly PS+.

It’s not a bad game but they screwed themselves by not making it ftp like Apex which has been a huge success for them.

Oh and lastly I get your point about games being lost forever. I just don’t think it really matters for these online only type games. You’re either there at the time or not.

What does piss me right off though is licensing issues. Scott Pilgrim v the World is a great recent example.
    I didn’t get to play it at the time and then it got pulled. Thankfully got to play it now with the rerelease. Great little game. Playing it through with the kids. Fun.

That EA game you're talking about is either Star Wars Battlefront 2 which was free on PS Plus or it could be and probably is Anthem which was never free on Plus but requires PS Plus to even play.
    Reports are saying Anthem will either be redone or dropped completely so I'd advise all who don't know about it not to buy it.
    It was a failure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Niska wrote: »
    This thread has reminded me to check when I'm next in my local GameStop (if there is a next time) if they still have that copy of Tabula Rasa they've been trying to sell for the last decade+.

I remember playing the beta of that back in the day and also remember seeing a copy of it in either Game or Game Stop years after it's servers had closed down :D

That EA game you're talking about is either Star Wars Battlefront 2 which was free on PS Plus or it could be and probably is Anthem which was never free on Plus but requires PS Plus to even play.
    Reports are saying Anthem will either be redone or dropped completely so I'd advise all who don't know about it not to buy it.
    It was a failure.

Is the EA game not Rocket Arena?

Anthem apparently will make a decision over the next couple of weeks on how its going to go but its not looking good for it right now.

Kimbot wrote: »
    Is the EA game not Rocket Arena?

Anthem apparently will make a decision over the next couple of weeks on how its going to go but its not looking good for it right now.

It was rocket arena. I bought it for a fiver. It’s not a bad game. You can see the devs put love into it but it was ****ed from day one as they got greedy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement