Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jet Get Radio!!!! post here when you get something new!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Can second the opinions on the Saroo. Mine arrived last Thursday and had a chance to play with it on Saturday.

Every game that I tried on it (bar one, the Japanese copy of Fighting Vipers) loaded up fine, even the Sonic X-Treme tech demo and Sonic Z-Treme homebrew.

Loving it so far and the loading times are lighting fast.

Definitely a much better and budget friendly option as opposed to a Fenrir or Saitiator.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Hmm, it doesn't look great! If I get time I'll certainly like to try a design myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You guys have me really wanting to buy one and I already have a perfectly fine Fenrir setup!

I wonder might it be time to finally pick up a nice black 'This is Cool' Saturn that I've always wanted and leave it completely stock with a Saroo.

The ability to still use the CD drive along with the Saroo is definitely a plus!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,878 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Yeah, I still have a large Saturn collection and like to use the discs from time to time. So the SAROO seems the best option for me personally. Sure, a few compatibility issues on some games, but most can be fixed in the config file.

Plus the firmware updates keep coming with nice updates and bug fixes. The latest firmware with the reset to menu option was a really nice update.

• Advertisement

I've stress tested that SAROO cart a fair bit now. It's got about 20 hours of play time on it and at least the same time just running in the background while I work during the day.

So far no overheating or other issues with the cart. I though the constant streaming of data from the SD card for FMV/CD Audio might cause some heat or crashes, but nothing yet. Money well spent.

My BlueRetro Saturn adapter arrived today along with the white(ish) 8BitDo M30. I already have the black M30 for the Megadrive, but the white version matches my main Sega Saturn colours nicely.

All work perfectly together as long as you put the M30 in XInput and DPad mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭mm_surf

Definitely a nicer solution than the fenrir. I'll have to pick up one of these for t'other saturn I have.

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭dav09

Bought 10 CRTs today since you can never have enough lol, larger 25/29 arcade ones. Getting to that stage where I can't fit anymore, one cabinet already to go out soon which will help and will be moving on some other bits shortly incl PCBs, monitors and cabinets as am full to the brim pretty much. Got a Punisher Dynamo & Ninja Gaiden too more projects. On a side note found the printer off my Sega F355 Challenge Deluxe, I believe it was from Atari Expo, does anyone remember when it was removed? According to the last printed date it was the end of 00', if so it's crazy it has hung around awaiting almost definite scrapyard before being saved recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

That Brunswick in the grey case might be one of the ones I got from the bowling alley in Clonmel. I passed one on to a men's shed in Waterford. In any event, get rid of the control board, and there's a good Ceronix CGA monitor inside with a Thomson FST tube.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,367 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Few gets over the last month or two, most of which were actually to fill those inexplicable gaps in the collection (games you had before but moved on when jumping platforms, games you lost, games you just can't find etc). Few repro boxes for loose carts as well such as the weak-ass N64 cardboard jobbies.

Latest one last week was grabbing a couple of Japanese Sonics as they were in near pristine condition, and added the old PAL one just for the nostalgia of having it way back when. SFC Castlevania IV and Daimakaimura plugging gaps as well (actually had the Japanese of the latter back in the day, but only the PAL of the former so delighted to get my hands on them again.

Other item dropped in the door earlier so hope to try it out between the football. Retrostage lads in Canada put up another round of the RetroBlaster programmer/dumper earlier in the summer so wanted to check it as it could come in handy for dumping the old cartridge saves and for trying out those impossible to get carts out there. Have the Megadrive and NES adapters in the pic, but also got hold of adapters for the other main consoles. Bit on the high side by the time you add it up plus there's the usual duty due, but hopefully an item that'll come I'm very handy for years to come.

https://retrostage.net/?product_cat=retroblaster-programmer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Inviere

Heber are having a sale at the mo so I grabbed a Super Video Custard for my Multisystem. Composite and Svideo output options available from it, should I wish!

https://shop.heber.co.uk/super-video-custard-cartridge-for-multisystem-with-enclosure/

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Dublinandy3

I haven't bought anything retro in probably over a year, and while this is not retro I couldn't resist it when I saw it was up for preorder yesterday. I was drawn in by the wood finish and limited number with the number on the actual machine.

They have limited them to 2600, which I think is a clever touch. THere are still some available without the case if anyone is as weak as me:

https://funstock.eu/collections/hyper-mega-tech/products/hyper-mega-tech-atari-super-pocket-case-bundle?variant=44057657213103

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You know, if it had the arcade version of Stun Runner I'd have snapped it up

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Dublinandy3

Maybe it's a right issue as I've not seen it on any evercade cart/system, or anywhere else officially.

Omg I remember that Ferrari F355 machine! I used to love that back in the day. I think it was the model that even had the Dreamcast VMU insert to save lap times, right? I can't believe it was found in a scrap yard.

Ahh… such memories.

I remember that arcade having a LOT of Sega stuff back in the day. A fair few Naomi Universals with Virtual Tennis 1/2 / Crazy Taxi. They had the deluxe 18 Wheeler and a sit down Initial D.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭dav09

Yeah it is in rough shape but I plan to do a mental restore on it although it's way down the list of priorities, couldn't watch it go to scrap, it's a coll version the regular twin wasn't great, I love the Ferrari shifter on it. Pretty sure I have a bunch of their Naomi universals as I said I think your latest project is one from there and maybe their Initial D too depending which one, I know tonnes of cabinets have been scrapped here over the years but glad to have saved a bunch particularly rare ones even if some are a lot of work.

I remember you saying. It honestly is going to feel so good to have a piece of my childhood in my possesion like that.

I very likely even played on this cabinet in the past at some point. I do remember them having some kind of kart racing game but the memory is too vague to know if it was Club Kart or not.

I'm probably just going to sell on the ticket thingy to anybody that needs one as I don't plan to use it.

I actually plan to do my best to convert the machine into a Crazy Taxi.

I mean yeah sure I can just whack my NetDimm in there and boot up Crazy Taxi… but I'm going whole hog with livery changes, respraying the monitor bezel… everything.

I really want to track down the foot pedestal and appropriate chair at some point too. Not even sure what Sega called them though so trying to track them down has been proving tough so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ellyU

Comparing it to modern games, there's still something special about those old machines.

Master of the Universe

Was surprised with an LG OLED for my birthday, first proper entry into the OLED world not counting my Switch.

Holy god is it magical with the Retrotink! All the issues I had with my aging Sony LED are literally gone. No syncing issues, no ghosting at all. It's a thing of beauty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Once you go LG OLED, it's hard to go back!

Once you go OLED you never go NOLED.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,367 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Couple of pickups over last couple weeks

Managed to finally get my hands on a proper complete SFC Actraiser (at a decent price), as well as a near as new Starfox 64 among a few other things. Original 'The Last Ninja' on tape for the C64 on an eBay bid of all things was a nice surprise as well, and even with a small shipping from the UK, it came in for half the amount doing the rounds. Great condition as well. Have no idea where my original one went over the years, but this one is getting pride of place.

Picked up a Memcard Pro 2 for the PS2 a few weeks back as well, and had to get a physical copy of Head Over Heels to go along with the digital copy already installed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Neither arcade or retro but I bought the magic hat for the PS5 off a guy this morning for €250...

Just saying

• Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

Thats a great price for PSVR 2. I saw an article a while ago saying there's a price drop in the US, down to $350 over there. Its €390 in Smyth's so you've saved yourself a nice bit. Haven't played Horizon Call of the mountain but looks like a cool one to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

The PC adapter launches 7th August if you fancy some PCVR games but it lacks HDR, headset feedback, eye tracking, adaptive triggers, and haptic feedback other than rumble.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Isn't that a non issue though? From what I hear none of the PC headsets support those features anyway?

I don't follow the VR world but from what I understand the hardware is very good, being able to use it on both PS5 and PC makes it decent value for money.

I had one briefly when it came out but sold it shortly after, with glasses on it felt like the screens were too far away for the immersion. I know you can buy clip on lenses but I didn't fancy spending €100+ on them at the time.

Master of the Universe

That's great news about the PC adapter. I've been playing a lot of Ace Combat 7 on Steam and was toying again with the idea of picking up a headset.

Probably be nauseous after about 30 seconds but what a 30 seconds they would be!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

what annoys me with psvr2 as a collector is how few physical releases there are. I wish they would put call of the mountain on a disc. Hate paying full retail for a digital game.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Yeah I never pay full retail price for a digital download. If I'm paying full price I'm buying a physical copy. If there's no physical copy, I tend to buy from CDKeys.com. (Managed to get the aforementioned Ace Combat 7 there the other day for 8 euro)

They have Call of the Mountain for the PS but it's only 20% off at the moment, might be worth adding to your watch list. They've massive discounts all the time.

https://www.cdkeys.com/horizon-call-of-the-mountain-ps5-ps-vr2-eu

Advertisement