Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

February Running Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

jackc101 wrote: »
    I'm going to break out the map, compass, projector and set square on this one :D

This might spur me on to lose a kg or two :o as well. Change the power to weight ratio :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

And manually pressed stop ;)

Sorry I wasn't clear. I think its perfectly acceptable. If someone uses their watch, stops it in time and has a pic of it should that not be acceptable if Strava adds a couple of seconds to push the time over?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I successfully managed to ignore this for the entire January.
    Now I have a dodgy Achilles, and it's by far at its worst when climbing a steep hill.
    This would be a really bad idea.

May I join? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

To be fair, that would be a high risk of DQ! Garmins by design keep the clock running beyond a workout until you manually press stop. Given the effort this challenge will take, I would not leave it in the hands of tech!

Rule#6 is set in stone.

Does the time verification have to be Strava? What about Garmin Connect, which doesn’t add a second?

Can we can stop anywhere and stop the watch to complete that run? if we have to walk/jog or crawl home that's a separate run?

That’s how I understand it anyway. Most people will be trying to end the run at the top of a hill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Sorry I wasn't clear. I think its perfectly acceptable. If someone uses their watch, stops it in time and has a pic of it should that not be acceptable if Strava adds a couple of seconds to push the time over?

Aha got you. Yes of course. Validation is validation.. GC, Screen shot of Garmin, Strava etc... I took a pic of my Boards 5K TT time last year and put that on Strava as B was only taking Strava :)
    I successfully managed to ignore this for the entire January.
    Now I have a dodgy Achilles, and it's by far at its worst when climbing a steep hill.
    This would be a really bad idea.

May I join? :)

Of course welcome!! However, both you and AMK and anyone else who joins need to submit a number. 10k Estimate or double 5k roundest to nearest minute. Prepare to be called out if you chance your arm :D
    Murph_D wrote: »
    That’s how I understand it anyway. Most people will be trying to end the run at the top of a hill.

This is one point I'd like to discuss so that we can all agree on.

Finish at the top of your hill/climb?
    Or finish at the bottom?

I'll do a poll!

POLL added for potential Rule #7.

It closes on Wednesday.

This was something I could not decide upon without input. Given most people will have to do repetitions of some sort. Those with a mountain or big hill that can absorb their single time, would have to turn at some point and make it back to the start before time runs out.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭BeginnerRunner

I'll have to turn around and come down on my route at some point, but if I had the option to I'd have just gone up for as long as possible. So I guess it's only fair I vote that way :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Challenge #2: Elevation Challenge
    Gain the most vertical metres in the time allowed.
    Time allowed is your 10k or double your 5k rounded to nearest minute.
    Ay ay ay! You didn't want to make it too easy on us this month eh? I was thanking you for getting me back out running in January but I've a feeling I'll be cursing you for February.

I'm strictly on an easy-only/low HR approach to running at the moment so my attempt at this is guaranteed to be pathetic and may not get much beyond walking uphill, but I'll do it anyway!

eyrie wrote: »
    Ay ay ay! You didn't want to make it too easy on us this month eh? I was thanking you for getting me back out running in January but I've a feeling I'll be cursing you for February.

I'm strictly on an easy-only/low HR approach to running at the moment so my attempt at this is guaranteed to be pathetic and may not get much beyond walking uphill, but I'll do it anyway!

You finished towards the top of the table for January, points in the bag. Do what you can/want, other challenges to come hopefully :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

You finished towards the top of the table for January, points in the bag. Do what you can/want, other challenges to come hopefully :)
    For sure. And this one sounds like fun, it just also sounds like torture :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

I'll have to turn around and come down on my route at some point, but if I had the option to I'd have just gone up for as long as possible. So I guess it's only fair I vote that way :D

Same here. Sprinting down a mountain is a recipe for disaster for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Omeceron

Is there bonus points for the highest number of reps.

There is a serious lack of hills within my 5km. I might have to run up and down the stairs!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭edinrunna

My location couldn't be much better for this, no 5k limit here so the only question is which of the 7 hills of Edinburgh to choose!

The poll is ambiguous. You could do at least one rep up and down and still finish at the top, or near the top. Which would be good time management/hill selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

jackc101 wrote: »
    I'm going to break out the map, compass, projector and set square on this one :D
    Have you ordered a barometer online yet?

Got me thinking. I've never paid much attention to elevation. How much more accurate are garmin watches that have barometers? I've a F245 that doesn't have one but the other half has a Garmin vivoactive or something like that but it has a barometer. Would I be better using hers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I have multiple hills around me, I was planning to run up and down each of them and include as many as possible in the time allotted.. My start and finish locations would be nowhere near each other though. Not sure which option in the poll that covers :)

The poll is ambiguous. You could do at least one rep up and down and still finish at the top, or near the top. Which would be good time management/hill selection.

Fair enough it was a quick poll, can't change now. Just wanted to get a flavour of thoughts about having a mountain vs not having a mountain. A continiuous uphill would be ideal really. If we didn't have lockdown, I'd have that option and would prefer it. As is, I'm really stuck actually. Might have to consider stairs and I already know how dodgy GPS is on steps :confused:

So you could still finish high, just that you have to do at least 1 rep from your highest elevation. E.G run half way up, back down, back up to half way. As long as the first rep was just a token to satisfy the rule...:confused::confused::confused: Hopefully it explains why I didn't put it in the rules the first time and will likely not change (the way the poll is trending). Didn't want to start off the challenge with a debate about rules :o
    I have multiple hills around me, I was planning to run up and down each of them and include as many as possible in the time allotted.. My start and finish locations would be nowhere near each other though. Not sure which option in the poll that covers :)

That grand A :) I like the sound of your plan by the way. I guess I could have asked if there should be a minimum about of descent involved but thats not the challenge. I'm glad I left it out initially :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

If it’s finish at the top of a climb I’ll have to give this a miss, I’ll be struggling as is for elevation gain let alone finish on top of a hill.

OOnegative wrote: »
    If it’s finish at the top of a climb I’ll have to give this a miss, I’ll be struggling as is for elevation gain let alone finish on top of a hill.

The poll to fair is a little misleading in this respect. You can start and finish wherever you like. It was more to see that there is an acceptance that as unlucky you can be with location, some will be lucky with Mountains and no lockdown. Both you and edinrunna are case in point!

• Advertisement

Dudda wrote: »

Got me thinking. I've never paid much attention to elevation. How much more accurate are garmin watches that have barometers? I've a F245 that doesn't have one but the other half has a Garmin vivoactive or something like that but it has a barometer. Would I be better using hers?

The barometer in the Garmin 645 isn't very accurate. It rarely, if ever, shows me finishing at the same elevation as I started and I always run a loop back to where I began. For example the watch gave me 105ft of elevation today but 2 apps I use which only use GPS plot points gave elevation as 139ft...almost 33% difference.

Some Garmin barometers or whatever they use as a built in elevation measurer are useless. I had a couple of clubmates routinely amassing climbs of thousands of feet while running at sea level. It’s up to M but I’d recommend sticking to the old Garmin method (which uses elevation databases). Not sure what Strava does with this data, mind. Possibly reconverts it!

Didn't want to start off the challenge with a debate about rules :o

Looks like that happened anyway! :p

Some Garmin barometers or whatever they use as a built in elevation measurer are useless. I had a couple of clubmates routinely amassing climbs of thousands of feet while running at sea level. It’s up to M but I’d recommend sticking to the old Garmin method (which uses elevation databases). Not sure what Strava does with this data, mind. Possibly reconverts it!

Strava uses the results straight from Garmin. It is hopeless. I know Runalyze reconverts it to GPS data.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

How good is she at hills? Boom boom. :pac:

Yeah, on a more sober note, I'm going to finish with 1 point again, aren't I?

Strava uses the results straight from Garmin. It is hopeless. I know Runalyze reconverts it to GPS data.

Hmmm. My run yesterday had an elevation gain of 51m according to Garmin, and Max elevation of 33m. Strava ‘converted’ those numbers to 66m and 34m respectively. :rolleyes:

Hmmm. My run yesterday had an elevation gain of 51m according to Garmin, and Max elevation of 33m. Strava ‘converted’ those numbers to 66m and 34m respectively. :rolleyes:

I just checked a few and the numbers are slightly different alright but the graph on Strava follows the Garmin trace which always shows a different finishing elevation. My run yesterday showed 236ft on Runalyze, 321 on Garmin and 318 on Strava...,:rolleyes:

Pherekydes wrote: »
    How good is she at hills? Boom boom. :pac:

Yeah, on a more sober note, I'm going to finish with 1 point again, aren't I?

Nope, a minimum of 2. Provided you give it at least one attempt. Everyone who gave in a number before the Challenge thread started will get a bonus point added at the end of the month if they participate.
    I just checked a few and the numbers are slightly different alright but the graph on Strava follows the Garmin trace which always shows a different finishing elevation. My run yesterday showed 236ft on Runalyze, 321 on Garmin and 318 on Strava...,:rolleyes:

Hence Rule #4 :) Whatever the result confirmed on this thread, I'll check the validation and thats it. My run today gave me 79m elevation and I lost 90m somehow despite looping back to my house :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭BeginnerRunner

So who else is thinking they'll just wait until the last few days of Feb to see how everyone else did and then completely send it?

I don't think I'd be up for this run twice.

• Advertisement

So who else is thinking they'll just wait until the last few days of Feb to see how everyone else did and then completely send it?

I don't think I'd be up for this run twice.

You could do an easier recce, see where that sits. Then smash it later

Advertisement