Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

February Running Challenge

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭eposhea

Got out for my inaugural boards running challenge tonight! Hill is literally outside the door of the house in the estate, so handy enough. 14 times up it made for shaky legs in the end. Did the run as a trail run so I could keep an eye on the metres gained! Calculated beforehand I could get 15 done, but didn't pace it right!

I do reckon I could have gotten another 2 if I had run back down faster tho - pain that half the time your descending!!

Garmin and Strava were same gain actually - 307m

https://www.strava.com/activities/4729932097

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

eposhea wrote: »
    Got out for my inaugural boards running challenge tonight! Hill is literally outside the door of the house in the estate, so handy enough. 14 times up it made for shaky legs in the end. Did the run as a trail run so I could keep an eye on the metres gained! Calculated beforehand I could get 15 done, but didn't pace it right!

I do reckon I could have gotten another 2 if I had run back down faster tho - pain that half the time your descending!!

Am I reading that right? When you started it looks like the bottom your hill is 4 metres below sea level. By the end it's 31m below sea level for around the same point. You must have been hitting the ground with some force :)

Am I reading that right? When you started it looks like the bottom your hill is 4 metres below sea level. By the end it's 31m below sea level for around the same point. You must have been hitting the ground with some force :)

Yea, I saw that on a second look alright, no idea what's going on there. I run that hill on every run as I have to get home! Strava can be annoying sometimes!

Actually - the same data is on the Garmin too. I know the gain for the segment is 24m as I created the segment on Strava a few months ago - but looks like I was done out of some metres - 14 times up is 336m, and only got 307m on the Garmin!

And I start just above Sea level - the estate is aptly named Harbour Heights!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Actually - the same data is on the Garmin too. I know the gain for the segment is 24m as I created the segment on Strava a few months ago - but looks like I was done out of some metres - 14 times up is 336m, and only got 307m on the Garmin!

And I start just above Sea level - the estate is aptly named Harbour Heights!

Your trace says Garmin 935, which has its own altimeter. Looks like the calibration is not set up right, or it’s just not working, maybe? Do you get a different number when you use the elevation correction?

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote: »
    Your trace says Garmin 935, which has its own altimeter. Looks like the calibration is not set up right, or it’s just not working, maybe? Do you get a different number when you use the elevation correction?

Have to say, I never even realised the elevation was like that. Just checked past activities and it's the same. Some even say -39m elevation!

I know the gain in elevation will still be the same regardless of starting elevation. But I understand if it can't be counted....I'll have to go again

Not sure what you mean by using elevation correction?
    Just looked up how to calibrate the altimeter, so hopefully will correct it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭crisco10

My turn to try the thoroughly unoriginal Fairycastle route! Thought I'd get it in before the snow.

439m of climb, agonizingly close to Lambay's effort for a very similar route. maybe I'll do it again later in the month and hope that measurement uncertainty would put me ahead.

Really enjoyed the challenge, For no other reason would I run up Fairycastle before work in February.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

crisco10 wrote: »
    My turn to try the thoroughly unoriginal Fairycastle route! Thought I'd get it in before the snow.

439m of climb, agonizingly close to Lambay's effort for a very similar route. maybe I'll do it again later in the month and hope that measurement uncertainty would put me ahead.

Really enjoyed the challenge, For no other reason would I run up Fairycastle before work in February.

Fair play to you both - altimeters aside - those are impressive efforts!

crisco10 - thats looks to be a popular hill! And 3 metres off Lambay for top spot :P:eek:
    Edit: It was enough to put you top overall though!

eposhea - thats some hill to have in your everyday run! 8% avg gradient :eek:

crisco10 - thats looks to be a popular hill! And 3 metres off Lambay for top spot :P:eek:

Agreed. Amazing runs. eposhea, running 8% grades like that suggests you’re in far better 10k shape than you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Rule#2 based on government L5 advice

People are required to stay at home except for travel for work, education or other essential purposes, and will be permitted to take exercise within 5km of home.

I'll leave it up to each person to be responsible and comply with public health advice.

Now.. jamule, Murph_D, AGYR, Lambay Island... all good boys n gals yeah?

Yip, well within my 5K, actually within 2k!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Don't embarras me now and tell me you had the buggy too :)

Don't embarras me now and tell me you had the buggy too :)

The buggy plan went out the window when you posted an effort all the way to the top of Fairycastle. :mad::mad: :)

The buggy would struggle to go at any real pace on the rock path past the masts! my original idea for the buggy route (which I might still do) is to go to the masts then keep doing reps on the tar road until I run out of time. But that would probably only be 300 or 350m effort at a guess.

Cheers - yea, it's always nice to finish with a goo leg pump!
    Murph_D wrote: »
    Agreed. Amazing runs. eposhea, running 8% grades like that suggests you’re in far better 10k shape than you think.

Thanks - I have upped the mileage considerably in the last 2 months - I think fitness is building nicely (for me ;)) - will have to plan a 10KM TT soon - very flat where I am bar the hill finish, so could be a flattering time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Cheers - yea, it's always nice to finish with a goo leg pump!

Thanks - I have upped the mileage considerably in the last 2 months - I think fitness is building nicely (for me ;)) - will have to plan a 10KM TT soon - very flat where I am bar the hill finish, so could be a flattering time!

Don't be under any illusions. Most of us are not looking for a hilly route for our lockdown TT's. Lol. We're all trying to flatter ourselves... Except for a few sado masochistic honest few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Rule#2 based on government L5 advice

People are required to stay at home except for travel for work, education or other essential purposes, and will be permitted to take exercise within 5km of home.

I'll leave it up to each person to be responsible and comply with public health advice.

Now.. jamule, Murph_D, AGYR, Lambay Island... all good boys n gals yeah?

guilty, if I don't run at lunch I don't run, the crimes I would commit would be much worse i didn't.

I am also not supposed to leave my county, which more or less means I cannot leave my house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,187 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Did a recce this morning, checking out steps here in Lucan village. Each ascent (only did 4) was approx 15m on Strava, 8m on Garmin. :eek:

Further, each ascent took less than 2 mins; each descent took over 2 mins. I reckon I might work my way up to the 10-12 range, giving me a potential 150m+.

I included my warm up and cool down, but that won't happen later in the month.

Anyway, 83m for now.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4737348813/overview

Garmin gave 48m for the total workout.

Cool, the first Steps option! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭BeginnerRunner

TIL - we also have this inside our 5km https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrickgollogan

Anyone ever been up it?!

February Table Update #4

* denotes bonus point to be added if challenge completed
    ?? need a time limit (10k or double 5k rounded to nearest minute)
    Points system is 20, 19, 18... 1,1,1. For this challenge it MAY be the same for both hill rep options and mountain climb options.

O/A Pos|Runner|Jan Pts|Feb Elv|Feb Pts|Time Limit|Total
    1|crisco10*|18|439m Climb|19|37|38
    2|Omeceron*|20|244m Reps|16|45|37
    3|Lambay Island*|14|442m Climb|20|36|35
    4|jamule*|15|362m Climb|18|36|34
    5|Murph_D*|18|183m Reps|14|42|33
    6|Annie get your Run*|9|150m Reps|12|58|22
    7|BeginnerRunner*|20|||50|20
    8|fletch*|19|||40|19
    9|eposhea*||307m Reps|17|47|18
    9|Swashbuckler*|18|||37|18
    9|healy1835*|18|||34|18
    9|eyrie*|18|||50|18
    13|Unknown Unthought|17|||??|17
    14|shotgunmcos*|16|||40|16
    15|racersedge||230m Reps|15|44|15
    16|jackc101||160m Reps|13|49|13
    16|Pheredykes*|1|83m Steps|11|58|13
    18|Dudda|13|||??|13
    19|mister paul*|12|||42|12
    20|Comic Book Guy*|11|||39|11
    21|Kander*|10|||40|10
    21|Wubble Wubble*|10|||45|10
    23|skyblue46*|8|||54|8
    24|En Passant*|7|||48|7
    25|omicron*|6|||34|6
    26|ReeReeG*|5|||45|5
    27|dna_leri*|4|||35|4
    28|Huzzah*|3|||58|3
    29|Dubh Geannain*|2|||37|2
    30|Zico10*|1|||35|1
    30|Laineyfrecks*|1|||44|1
    30|Kurt_Godel*|1|||44|1
    33|OOnegative*||||40|
    33|edinrunna*||||37|
    33|TFBubendorfer||||42|
    33|AMK||||??|
    33|py||||46|
    33|axe2grind||||39|

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Omeceron

Garmin and Strava gave the same elevation of 244 metres

I did 6 full reps and 2 mini reps at the end. Couldn't remember if I had to go back to the starting position.

I hope I haven't messed it up as I don't fancy doing that again.

• Advertisement

TIL - we also have this inside our 5km https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrickgollogan

Anyone ever been up it?!

yeah it's nice. never ran it though...here's a screenshot of a friends activity in that area.

yeah it's nice. never ran it though...here's a screenshot of a friends activity in that area.

I actually ran up it a few days before Christmas. I really enjoyed it. I was with a friend, otherwise I wouldn't have known the routes up and down. The last part is a very sharp climb. It had rained heavily the previous day I did it and some parts were almost impassable so bear that in mind.

jamule wrote: »
    guilty, if I don't run at lunch I don't run, the crimes I would commit would be much worse i didn't.

I am also not supposed to leave my county, which more or less means I cannot leave my house.

Too bad, an innocent mistake! Plenty of time for another attempt. :)

I actually ran up it a few days before Christmas. I really enjoyed it. I was with a friend, otherwise I wouldn't have known the routes up and down. The last part is a very sharp climb. It had rained heavily the previous day I did it and some parts were almost impassable so bear that in mind.

Probably one to try after a few days of sunshine so. Or before next weeks snow storm. I Think it might return better results than Bray Head.

Probably one to try after a few days of sunshine so. Or before next weeks snow storm. I Think it might return better results than Bray Head.

If your talking about cliff run from Greystones to Bray, it is more than that yes. I did that recently too when I was allowed move about and looking at my strava, I gained almost 100 metres more up at the leadmines. That is two great running spots in your radius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

If your talking about cliff run from Greystones to Bray, it is more than that yes. I did that recently too when I was allowed move about and looking at my strava, I gained almost 100 metres more up at the leadmines. That is two great running spots in your radius.

The Cliff Walk definitely isn't a great option but I'm thinking repeats up to the cross might be a good one.

The Cliff Walk definitely isn't a great option but I'm thinking repeats up to the cross might be a good one.

Yah the cliff's brutal for it. Gained about 140m over 6.8km during the week.

I've done 160-170m over 1km from sea level to the base of the rocks the cross is on in about 13/14 minutes with a 10kg dumbell in a backpack wearing hiking boots.

Gonna drag wife and baby up carraiggollogan for a look on Sunday. They've no idea why.

...also - carrying a 16kg 20 month old up bray head and the sugar loaf is probably the most relevant training I've ever got for this :D

16kg 20month old??!!!

You are taking about a little human yeah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭axe2grind

Just seen this and missed the January one. 10k time...a bit of a guess, but I reckon I could do one in 39mins.

I have a 340m hill in my 5k, but I need to get creative in my route as the usual access is outside my 5k. It will have to be a hybrid with some reps(or undulating route) to begin with and then finishing with the climb to the top. It's too rough for quick reps at the top.
    My target is 400m. I don't think I can challenge 440m in my 5k.

I may try a reps only one as well. I have a 10% hill. I think 320m is possible, but I would need to be well rested.....and the weather warmer!

I have garmin 645 and the altimeter is crap with reps. It seems to have nearly a minute lag and is still descending half way up the next climb. The elevation correction needs to be enabled in garmin connect for the activity. Unfortunately this can't be enabled by default for all activities with this watch.

• Advertisement

16kg 20month old??!!!

You are taking about a little human yeah?

I completely misspoke. He was only about 15.5kg at 20 months and hit 16kg at 22 :D

(tbh he also came out at 11.5lb and has tracked that giant baby growth curve ever since)

Advertisement