Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

February Running Challenge

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

2 more attempts, a legal one for a change.

Went almost up to fairy castle in the snow (fell in heap a few times) gave me 446m.

Tried reps on about 300m @ 12% gradient, got 11 done for 414m

https://www.strava.com/activities/4759872593

https://www.strava.com/activities/4806759847

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

That was a really good session. Researched a nice path with a bit of a hill. Previous runs showed a 7m gain over 100m. So I targeted 35 reps in my 37 minutes which would get me over 250m.

I did 3 sets of 10 with 2 recovery hills. Didn't approach the hills like normal though. I bounded back down during the reps of 10 to gain time. That got me to 36 after which I took it a bit easier for the last few before sprinting the last. Got 42 reps done stopping the watch at the top of the last hill rep. I was delighted with the effort. Almost 9km covered in the 37 minutes. So lots of positives.

Now the negative :pac: Strava gave me a paltry 188m so that's what I got. I can understand how it happened so it's my own fault. All my reps were identical but looking at the elevation plot on Strava they differed by as much as 4 metres sometimes. That's a big chunk off a supposed 7 metre gain.

I might have got 294m in an ideal scenario although my very last rep where I stopped the watch at the top gave me 6m. Even then that would have been 252m. But the 180 degree turns were my mistake.

A bloody great workout though, I'm still cuffed after it. I could probably do less reps and end up with more elevation gain before the end of the month because i won't be able to fit it in between sessions next week. I'll see if I get the chance but the thought of doing it slower makes it sound more tedious than the 42 reps at a decent clip. So that's likely my effort for this month 188m. Great craic Shotgun. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Garmin was even more brutal

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭jackc101

Right, attempt two, only time I had available was this morning and it was unpleasant weather wise (and otherwise! :D) It was blustery setting off and I thought I would be okay with the valley I had picked being tree lined. Not to be but it only came into play on the last 5-10 m uphill and helped going back down.

Went from 160m to 199m with the second try

Pushed a good bit harder than the last time and there was less coasting over the top of the hill with the new location

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Second attempt, opposite approach.

Instead of hill repeats I headed for a nearby hill, comfortably within my 5k radius. I was actually planning on repeats up and down to the top but it was extremely muddy and definitely not meant for speedy running so I ran the ups and downs of the ridge line instead.

Interestingly, that more than doubled the elevation compared to the first attempt.

315 meters on Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/4823068488
    289 meters on Garmin: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/6307669730

Baffling difference and the complete other way round compared to last time but I'll take the Strava one this time, thank you very much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭EnPassant

I made an attempt at this today in St. Anne's park. There is a hill near the car-park on the coast which I planned to run up and down repeatedly. I estimated the hill as 5m at least and went up and down over 20 times. Garmin only gave me an elevation gain of 48m but Strava gives 95m.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4824003820

I also slipped a couple of times and got covered in muck and my watch seems to have gone a bit haywire halfway through ... but at least I have an entry on the table :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Great stuff! Keep them coming in folks. Doesn't matter, everyone gets points cause reps and climbs will both get points.

Last week. Surely you can split a run into a warm up, a hill, cool down.

Finally, any ideas for a March Challenge, please post or IM me. Ideally it's easy to verify/measure etc..

Perhaps a fun, wacky one since Feb was hard. Don't want to push anyone out or do something so new that only a few have interest. Make something most people do already, different and level everyone... eh you can see how hard that is! I have an idea but hoping others caught an idea during Feb?

One idea in already and its a good one. Like the Feb Challenge, it will not be revealed until it starts. +1 BP again if you put your name in this week (and complete the March Challenge).

Your idea will be between you and I. If not selected for March we can do it another month. I don't mind if you post here either to get feedback but IM ideas, I'll set up the rules with the originator.

Most important thing is making it inclusive.

February Table Update #9

6 days to go in this months challenge! Still loads of points to get. Next hill reps claim will get at least 6pts. Next Hill climb claim will get at least 15pts

* denotes bonus point to be added if challenge completed
    ?? need a time limit (10k or double 5k rounded to nearest minute)
    Points system is 20, 19, 18... 1,1,1. For this challenge it MAY be the same for both hill rep options and mountain climb options.

O/A Pos|Runner|Jan Pts|Feb Elv|Feb Pts|Time Limit|Total
    1|crisco10*|18|439m Climb|19|37|38
    2|Omeceron*|20|244m Reps|16|45|37
    3|jamule*|15|414m Reps|20|36|36
    4|Lambay Island*|14|442m Climb|20|36|35
    5|shotgunmcos*|16|303m Reps|17|40|34
    6|Murph_D*|18|183m Reps|12|42|31
    7|Swashbuckler*|18|105m Reps|8|37|27
    8|dna_leri*|4|218m Climb|16|35|21
    9|Annie get your Run*|9|150m Reps|10|58|20
    9|Kurt_Godel*|1|323m Climb|18|44|20
    9|BeginnerRunner*|20|||50|20
    12|axe2grind||354m Reps|19|39|19
    12|eposhea*||307m Reps|18|47|19
    12|mister paul*|12|67m Reps|6|42|19
    15|fletch*|19|||40|19
    16|healy1835*|18|||34|18
    16|eyrie*|18|||50|18
    18|TFBubendorfer||315m Climb|17|42|17
    18|Unknown Unthought|17|||??|17
    20|Dubh Geannain*|2|188m Reps|13|37|16
    21|racersedge||230m Reps|15|44|15
    21|En Passant*|7|95m Reps|7|48|15
    23|jackc101||199m Reps|14|49|14
    24|Laineyfrecks*|1|152m Reps|11|44|13
    24|Dudda|13|||??|13
    26|Pherekydes*|1|106m Reps|9|58|11
    26|Comic Book Guy*|11|||39|11
    28|Kander*|10|||40|10
    28|Wubble Wubble*|10|||45|10
    30|skyblue46*|8|||54|8
    31|omicron*|6|||34|6
    32|ReeReeG*|5|||45|5
    33|Huzzah*|3|||58|3
    34|Zico10*|1|||35|1
    35|OOnegative*||||40|
    35|edinrunna*||||37|
    35|AMK||||??|
    35|py||||46|

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭crisco10

As much as I appreciated the effort at bumping me up more, you've gotten myself and Lambay the wrong way round there for Feb. (pesky 3m!)

• Advertisement

and my numbers aren't right either

crisco10 wrote: »
    As much as I appreciated the effort at bumping me up more, you've gotten myself and Lambay the wrong way round there for Feb. (pesky 3m!)

Fixed, but you are still top!
    and my numbers aren't right either

OOps Soz :o Fixed now hopefully. Tables not easy to manage TBH Next month will be easier... ish ;):D:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭EnPassant

Think you forgot to add me in :)

EnPassant wrote: »
    Think you forgot to add me in :)

Sorry, multitasking :o Hope its all updated now. It will be by the end of the week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Sorry, multitasking :o Hope its all updated now. It will be by the end of the week!

you mean "project managing"....:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Tummer36

Found this thread last night as I was trying to find new places to run with good elevation.Went for a run today and joined boards to post it.Did 501m in 45.45.
    Don't know how to post it to show.The run was reps from white rock beach to top of Killiney Hill.Its a great place to build reps of elevation.Good place for anyone trying to improve on climbing. Ian Tumulty

Tummer36 wrote: »
    Found this thread last night as I was trying to find new places to run with good elevation.Went for a run today and joined boards to post it.Did 501m in 45.45.
    Don't know how to post it to show.The run was reps from white rock beach to top of Killiney Hill.Its a great place to build reps of elevation.Good place for anyone trying to improve on climbing. Ian Tumulty

Great, welcome and right to the top of the board! Unfortunately non validated attempts are not included. Same rules for all. Peace :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

February Table Update #9

6 days to go in this months challenge! Still loads of points to get. Next hill reps claim will get at least 6pts. Next Hill climb claim will get at least 15pts

So rather than doing 39 mins of hill reps tomorrow I should do the hill as one ultra slow ascent and leave it at that?!

So rather than doing 39 mins of hill reps tomorrow I should do the hill as one ultra slow ascent and leave it at that?!

Ha ha nope.. last poster has me on chancer alert!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭eposhea

Think I'll give this another shot on Sat, see if I can move up the table a bit!

Stick me down for the March challenge please! Looking forward to it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

If I want to enter I presume you need my most recent 5k time? This was back in January when motivation was better than it has been recently. I’ll give this a lash at the weekend. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

Second attempt for me, although based on comic book guys post, maybe I should have stopped after the first rep :p

544883.png

If I want to enter I presume you need my most recent 5k time? This was back in January when motivation was better than it has been recently. I’ll give this a lash at the weekend. Thanks

So double that rounded to nearest minute is a target of 47 minutes.. have fun and thanks for participating :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

The longest 39 minutes ever.....

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/FzwOXvfAaeb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭py

Started on bottom of stocking lane and got up as far as Hellfire club. Got another full rep of Hellfire climb in and almost managed another full rep. Lungs and legs worked their socks off from the off. Did some brief walking/hiking just after the equestrian centre and again for the Hellfire climbs. Descended pretty well. 445m all in on Strava. The run home was fun with burnt quads. Not bad for a big lad :D

544936.png

So, who's in for the March Challenge?

+1pt for those who commit before it is revealed (as long as it is completed before the end of March)

+1pt for those who commit before it is revealed (as long as it is completed before the end of March)

Ah go on then!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Yep me, still have to have another go at this one! It'll happen before Sunday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭racersedge

In for a penny and all that....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭healy1835

Prob not gonna fit in February challenge at this point....will have a rattle at March alright, but can't accept the +1 point ;)

Advertisement