Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HRM recommendation

Options
  • 01-02-2021 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Looking for recommendations for the best/most accurate HRM. I've been using a garmin chest strap for the last few years. While initially good, ive found the readings to be pretty inaccurate more recently.

I've been looking at the Wahoo Tickrfit, which is a forearm strap, has anyone any experience with them? TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

The Garmin readings get predictably more inaccurate as the battery declines, to the point you'll end up with ridiculous and wildly-swinging data. Have you tried a fresh cell by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Chris871

MojoMaker wrote: »
    The Garmin readings get predictably more inaccurate as the battery declines, to the point you'll end up with ridiculous and wildly-swinging data. Have you tried a fresh cell by any chance?

Yes i changed it only a few months ago when I first started having trouble with the readings. Not much difference noted

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I've been through 3 Garmin HRMs and found them all rubbish, very slow to pick up a reading and connectivity to my 520 is sporadic at best with wild readings after the battery is only a few weeks old. Changed to a Bryton HRM last year and its been 100% since.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭secman

I switched to Wahoo Tickr, cheap and cheerful and no issues with accuracy. At this stage if i get 2 years out of a unit for just over €50 a pop I've no complaints .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I have a garmin chest strap for the 820 and also wear a venu which takes a reading from my wrist. During a workout, the venu is generally 10bpm lower than the hr strap.

It’s hard to get a product that gives an exact reading

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I've found my Garmin's fine, albeit I've found you need a decent battery (not a cheapo dealz one). I needed a bluetooth HRM for zwift racing, and picked up a cheap CooSpo one from Amazon - it's worked fine since I got it anyway. The module is bigger than the Garmin ones but dual broadcasts bluetooth and ant+.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭lissard

I've had a variety of HRM straps.
    Garmin : ANT+
    8 years and still going strong. Rather rigid but bullet proof. Changed the battery when needed.

CooSpo : BLE
    Lasted 1 year before packing it in.

Wahoo TIKR: ANT+, BLE
    On to my 2nd one, the first one died after 2 years.

Read into that what you will, I think I might have made a mistake by throwing the Wahoo Strap into a hot wash and it never worked properly thereafter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

secman wrote: »
    I switched to Wahoo Tickr, cheap and cheerful and no issues with accuracy. At this stage if i get 2 years out of a unit for just over €50 a pop I've no complaints .

I concur, i think these are meant for Tri-athletes but they work a treat, re-chargeable and accurate and reliable, great little device.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 freiteg

if you have not, make sure to give the HRM band a wash from time to time or even just wipe the pads and contacts with some isopropyl alcohol. It's not a guaranteed fix but I've found it somewhat helpful when accuracy starts acting up.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Chris871

Thanks for all the replies. Have tried all troubleshooting before and wash every 3/4 uses.

Agree with secman above, I'm not too disappointed after getting a good two years out of it. Went with a Wahoo Tickr in the end for something different.

• Advertisement

I use the Wahoo and also wear an Apple Watch.

They both give the same reading, so I’m guessing they are either both right, or freakishly have the same inaccuracies.

Advertisement