Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

system/user data, storage space issue.

• 01-02-2021 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi.
    I have a samsung galaxy Xcover 4. it keeps telling me lately that I need to free up storage space as I've used 15.33 of 16gb, however I don't have a lot on my phone and only a handful of apps. if I open storage analysis it tells me this:
    images - 198mb
    videos - 337mb
    installation files - 0b
    audio - 59.08mb
    documents - 10.98mb
    other (including applications) - 14.74gb

all my apps put together are only using a total of 3.2gb (biggest user being spotify at 1.04gb), so what the hell is using all the rest of the storage space. Very soon my phone will be rendered useless unless I can find out what 11.54gb of 'other' is.
    I'm not the most tech savvy person on the planet so any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭GBX

The Android/Samsung updates are what's taking up the majority of your "other" space. Realistically, 16gb of storage is too little on current phones. Adding an SD card wont help as the option to move apps to SD cards was disabled in later releases of Android. At some point you will have to bite the bullet and upgrade. The phone is probably suiting your needs but it will continually tell you about the storage issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Yeah just buy a new phone and a sturdy case like the spigen armor or otterbox. I'm sure it doesn't owe you anything at this stage.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 18 suevic

Thanks for replying. yeah, looks like an upgrade is on the cards. More bloody money, never ends does it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,532 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

GBX wrote: »
    Adding an SD card wont help as the option to move apps to SD cards was disabled in later releases of Android.

:confused: I'm running Android 10 on a Galaxy A6 (2018) and it lets me move apps to the SD card. I just freed 474MB of internal memory by shifting Instagram to the memory card.

The way Samsung is going, it would probably cost the OP several hundred euros just to get a similar model with more RAM. For the relatively small cost (even if it doesn't fix the problem), he'd be far better off to buy a 32GB microSD card and move a few apps out of internal memory,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭AllForIt

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/5-tricks-to-free-up-space-on-your-android-phone/

Doing some of these might get rid of the warning messages for a while till you upgrade.

Clearing app cache may have a significant effect.

• Advertisement

here is a fast and pretty powerful phone with a big battery, 64gb storage and 6gb ram for 90 euro

so can't really argue that it's going to cost hundreds to get a new phone

unlocked

https://www.three.ie/shop/phones/oppo-a53.html

using an sd card is only a half-way house solution as

1. some apps will only work fully or partially installed in main phone rom

2. sd cards are a lot slower in operation compared to the internal phone storage so can impact performance of the phone

suevic wrote: »
    Hi.
    I have a samsung galaxy Xcover 4. it keeps telling me lately that I need to free up storage space as I've used 15.33 of 16gb, however I don't have a lot on my phone and only a handful of apps. .

the 90 euro (currently, will sell out) A53 is 4 times as powerful on benchmarks, has probably 15 to 20 times the actual free storage space amount, three times the ram, way bigger battery, 90 Hz refresh full hd screen and better cameras.

Advertisement