Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Noisy 3-way valve on heating

• 01-02-2021 1:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭

Greetings!

My heating is controlled using a 3-way valve in the airing cupboard - heating only/hot water only/ both.

Since it was first installed, at 12:00 noon, every day, the valve cycles. Reminds me its Angelus time. I think this started because I programmed events for 12;00, then changed my mind. But to undo that I had to do "start at 12:00" "Stop at 12:00".

You can hear it : whirr, whirr, stop...whirr, whirr, stop... whirr, whirr, stop. This happens whether or not the system is running.

So now to the real problem. The sound has changed... whirr, screech, whirr, stop.... whirr, whirr, stop... whirr, whirr, stop. Sounds to me like it needs lubrication, although how you'd do that is beyond me. I presume a replacement will involve drain down of the system so Please God, don't let it be that.
    Its a Honeywell control system and valve.(well I assume the valve is Honeywell, it was all fitted as a single package).

any thoughts?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Bumpitty bump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭zg3409

Greetings!

My heating is controlled using a 3-way valve in the airing cupboard - heating only/hot water only/ both.

Since it was first installed, at 12:00 noon, every day, the valve cycles. Reminds me its Angelus time. I think this started because I programmed events for 12;00, then changed my mind. But to undo that I had to do "start at 12:00" "Stop at 12:00".

You can hear it : whirr, whirr, stop...whirr, whirr, stop... whirr, whirr, stop. This happens whether or not the system is running.

So now to the real problem. The sound has changed... whirr, screech, whirr, stop.... whirr, whirr, stop... whirr, whirr, stop. Sounds to me like it needs lubrication, although how you'd do that is beyond me. I presume a replacement will involve drain down of the system so Please God, don't let it be that.
    Its a Honeywell control system and valve.(well I assume the valve is Honeywell, it was all fitted as a single package).

any thoughts?

Cheers!

Some heating systems cycle valves once a day even if heating is off, just to prevent valves sticking from lack of use during summer months. So it may be a feature.

Make a note of valve make and model or take a photo.

Typically the motor can be removed from pipework without draining down and you can turn valve by hand with a pliars. Make sure you note position before you move it and put it back to same position. You should be able to feel if it is sticking. Normally a few wiggles should fix a bit of sticking.

Some valves have a manual over ride slider bar or lever, so you don't even need to separate the valve from the pipework.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

zg3409 wrote: »
    Some heating systems cycle valves once a day even if heating is off, just to prevent valves sticking from lack of use during summer months. So it may be a feature.

Make a note of valve make and model or take a photo.

Typically the motor can be removed from pipework without draining down and you can turn valve by hand with a pliars. Make sure you note position before you move it and put it back to same position. You should be able to feel if it is sticking. Normally a few wiggles should fix a bit of sticking.

Some valves have a manual over ride slider bar or lever, so you don't even need to separate the valve from the pipework.

Thanks zg3409!

I'll take a photo. I have played with the actuator (its a low voltage one) in the past when the whole thing has stopped and given a code . There's a little handle on top that can be moved with great difficulty, and this has fixed the code problem. Although that hasn't needed to be done in years.

I'll be back!

cheers.

Advertisement