Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

4 inch fence post bracket strength

• 01-02-2021 1:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

Although it's a while off I'm planning on building a fairly sizeable dog run, approx 20m x 20m and approx 6ft high.
    I was thinking of just setting the posts in concrete in the individual post holes. I'm only after finding out that post brackets are a thing. I like the idea of these as they would keep the posts up off what is fairly wet land and would enable me to swap out rotten or damaged posts in the future.
    What I'm wondering is are the likes of these brackets strong enough to keep a 6ft high fence rock solid in the long term in a semi exposed area?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Bump?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

They're only as good as their fixing to the ground. Bolted into concrete and posts well screwed on - they ain't going anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

The trick I have found is to put in a top rail at say 6 foot that holds the posts inline. This massively reduces the load on any one post from a dog jumping against it by reducing the leverage at the base from a post moving out of true. However the top rail will aid some "monkey" dogs climbing out.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

It depends which ones u have in mind
    If you make it a bit higher you could put s/steel wire stays across, like cross bracing against wind load

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Why not use concrete posts?

• Advertisement

Yes I was going to put a top rail across as I figured it would help brace each post, tighten the wire and look a bit nicer too.
    Rather than set the posts in concrete I thought keeping the posts up out of the ground would keep them dryer so slower to rot and also much much easier to replace individual posts should a post get damaged

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

What will your fence itself be made out of?

The force on the posts will hugely depend on the fence construction, e.g wooden panels vs wire mesh.
    The posts wont be under any real strain with wire mesh compares to panels catching the wind.

GreeBo wrote: »
    What will your fence itself be made out of?

The force on the posts will hugely depend on the fence construction, e.g wooden panels vs wire mesh.
    The posts wont be under any real strain with wire mesh compares to panels catching the wind.

It would definitely be mesh, there isn't any real upsides to using panels.
    I was also thinking I could hammer 4 short lengths of rebar into the soil in the hole prior to filling with concrete to anchor it even more

Advertisement