Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occupational Pension Scheme - Self Managed?

• 01-02-2021 3:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, has anyone experience self-managing their own pension, within an occupational scheme? The "default" model is one which would push my pot fully into bonds/cash as I reach 65 which, rightly or wrongly, I want to avoid and instead maintain exposure to equities, past my retirement from work.

Being in a company scheme, I only have access to 1 passive equity fund and 1 passive bond fund. Based on what I read a 60/40 equity/bond ratio portfolio is well tested. Has anyone else done this, and if so:

1) At what equity/bond ratio?
    2) how frequently do you rebalance?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

spuddy wrote: »
    Hi folks, has anyone experience self-managing their own pension, within an occupational scheme? The "default" model is one which would push my pot fully into bonds/cash as I reach 65 which, rightly or wrongly, I want to avoid and instead maintain exposure to equities, past my retirement from work.

Being in a company scheme, I only have access to 1 passive equity fund and 1 passive bond fund. Based on what I read a 60/40 equity/bond ratio portfolio is well tested. Has anyone else done this, and if so:

1) At what equity/bond ratio?
    2) how frequently do you rebalance?

Thanks

I don't self manage, as it's not an option on the scheme, but I do chose the funds myself. I'm 85% passive global equities and 15% active emerging markets. I've no bonds yet because I have a small DB pension from a previous job. 9 haven't bothered rebalancing because it's all equities.

Advertisement