Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone have a go at topiary?!!

Options
  • 01-02-2021 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    As the title suggests, has anyone had a stab at a topiary ball or a cone?
    I have approx 70 plants in the shed that I want to plant once the weather gets a bit better, I have been toying with the idea of trying to create a few balls or cones for the craic.

I had a look online and in fairness there is lots of good info and clips on youtube.
    My plants are a mix of Buxus and IIex crenata, so I won't be mixing them as they are vastly different but I'm assuming both are suitable for topiary?
    Or is the Buxus best for topiary?
    Is it best to use the plants in pots that I have of get myself some taller bareroot stuff?

Any tips or tricks greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭rje66

Wouldn't be an expert. But think its a good idea. I'd use your own stock dep on size. Be patient. Feed plants well. Have a decent sharp shears, learn how to keep it sharp. Space plants out so they grow evenly. Work with different/interesting shapes. Be aware of Box blight. Have some type of irrigation.
    Just my thoughts, others can add theirs.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

rje66 wrote: »
    Wouldn't be an expert. But think its a good idea. I'd use your own stock dep on size. Be patient. Feed plants well. Have a decent sharp shears, learn how to keep it sharp. Space plants out so they grow evenly. Work with different/interesting shapes. Be aware of Box blight. Have some type of irrigation.
    Just my thoughts, others can add theirs.....

Thanks!
    I've seen them in various garden centers recently and they are pretty expensive. I kind of figured with bit of time and patience I could have a stab at creating my own.

I wonder would anyone advise on bareroot over potted plants for getting started?

My plants are all potted and pretty small, maybe 5 inches tall max.
    I spotted some bare root buxus plants recently which are far better value for money and they were approx 12" tall!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭macraignil

The bare root stock for a lot of plants is better value in terms of the plant size but the advantage with potted ones is that you have more flexibility about when to plant them. If you buy bare root plants it is best to put them in the ground straight away as if they dry out they are unlikely to survive. I have decided to avoid planting box shrubs myself with the amount I have read about the blight disease they can get and the problem that can develop with the box tree caterpillar. I only have the one plant that I am trying a bit of topiary with and it is a type of box leaf honey suckle (lonicera Baggesen's gold) that should not be effected by box blight or the caterpillars that can attack buxus shrubs.

Happy gardening!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

macraignil wrote: »
    The bare root stock for a lot of plants is better value in terms of the plant size but the advantage with potted ones is that you have more flexibility about when to plant them. If you buy bare root plants it is best to put them in the ground straight away as if they dry out they are unlikely to survive. I have decided to avoid planting box shrubs myself with the amount I have read about the blight disease they can get and the problem that can develop with the box tree caterpillar. I only have the one plant that I am trying a bit of topiary with and it is a type of box leaf honey suckle (lonicera Baggesen's gold) that should not be effected by box blight or the caterpillars that can attack buxus shrubs.

Happy gardening!

Thank you. I hand't heard of the box tree caterpillar. He sounds like a nasty little fecker.
    I think I'm just going to get myself some big pots and play around with a few efforts over the next couple of years. See how they come out!

Advertisement