Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What standard BOIs 2FA compatible with?

Options
  • 01-02-2021 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭

I've noticed today BOI offers 2FA (two factor auth) device for using with banking services online. 

Question - does it implement HOTP (RFC 4226) or any other open standard? 
    I would prefer installing opensource implementation of the OTP standard instead of using separate device. It would be nice to see an integration giuide with 3rd party OTP software somewhere in the BOI's online FAQ.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Richard F

Hi Thats me,

Thanks for reaching out to us here today on Boards.ie.

In order to log in on 365, you would need a registered security device such as a mobile phone or Physical Security Key.

The authenticator and devices would need to share certain information that would not be possible with your own tokens.

We appreciate your interest in this and we'll certainly share your feedback with our development team.

Thanks,
    Richard

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

Hi Richard,
    Thank you for getting back with update.
    In order to log in on 365, you would need a registered security device such as a mobile phone or Physical Security Key.

I'd prefer to use registered security device such as a mobile phone using standards-compliant opensource software, something like this.

The authenticator and devices would need to share certain information that would not be possible with your own tokens.

Can you please describe in more details:
    • Which information BOIs Physical Security Key will share
    • How it will do it (dependency on the data channel?)
    • How big it (device itself) is and how long its battery lasts?

Still not sure on which standards BOI have built their two-factor authorisation system.

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland Reps

Thats me wrote: »
    Hi Richard,
    Thank you for getting back with update.

I'd prefer  to use registered security device such as a mobile phone using standards-compliant opensource software, something like this.

Can you please describe in more details:

[*]

Still not sure on which standards BOI have built their two-factor authorisation system.

Thanks again.

Hi there, 

Thanks for checking back with us on this. 

To access the App or site, we have added two-factor authentication, more info here

The security device(s) you choose can be a smart phone and/or tablet. Once you have already registered a device, the Physical Security Key will not be available to you. 

Just in relation to the third party authenticator App, this cannot be used alongside our App. 

We have information here on the PSK. 

Hoping the above helps, 
    Alison.

Hi Alison,
    Nice to meet you again.
    To access the App or site, we have added two-factor authentication, more info here

Yes, i've noticed and this is a very reason why i'm started this thread.
    The security device(s) you choose can be a smart phone and/or tablet. Once you have already registered a device, the Physical Security Key will not be available to you. 

Hmm, thanks for the additional information. TBH, i'm surprised with bank giving priority to the app not leaving a chance to use both 2FA methods in the same time. PSK seem to be reliable solution since it cannot be hacked by third party persons even if they manage to hack your phone.

Just in relation to the third party authenticator App, this cannot be used alongside our App. 

I'm not going to use thirdparty app alongside with BOI App. Because installing BOI App is not the case for me.

We have information here on the PSK. 

Sorry, i found no information on that page which could give any idea on:
    • Which standards PSK implements

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland Reps

Hi That's me

The below maybe helpful to you. 

It is a small handheld device, the life of battery will probably largely depend on how often you use although will not need to be changed very regularly. 

On how it's used, the previous link will explain this. If you scroll down to How to Set Up PSK it will give you direction. Adding in here  

Inline with PSD2 and SCA (Strong Customer Authentication) we use 2 factor authentication, this provides additional security for our customers banking online. For customers not using the App on any device, the PSK is now your 'security device' (1) . You will use this alongside your login details. (2) 

Hoping you find the above useful. 

Many thanks
    Alison

• Advertisement

Huh.. OK, no positive answers.. as usual. I feel i managed to order PSK device - at least it does not require me running it all the time on my mobile with having access to my location and contacts as the app requiring... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Richard F

We're glad to hear you got this ordered. If we can help with anything else, feel free to get back in touch.

Thanks,
    Richard

We're glad to hear you got this ordered. If we can help with anything else, feel free to get back in touch.

Thanks,
    Richard
    It would be better if you would like to hear me happy with it. But i'm not happy. And the whole planet is not happy with this approach to send out millions of devices instead of just following standards.

Advertisement