Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

left VF prepay last year just billed €20

Options
  • 01-02-2021 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭

My bank account was debited today for €20 by Vodafone prepay but I switched providers last year.

I've tried contacting Vodafone via phone and messaging and I keep getting cut off after 5 attempts,

Can anyone please advise how to get them to communicate with me to establish why I am still being billed?

My bank says it may be for some extra service that I was originally signed up to but I can't recall

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

unfortunately for me, i found the very bet way to deal with vodafone is via twitter, as you get a swift response.

some thoughts - was there a subsidised handset? did you give the requisite notice when leaving. do you have the evidence you gave notice, EG an email etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

unfortunately for me, i found the very bet way to deal with vodafone is via twitter, as you get a swift response.

some thoughts - was there a subsidised handset? did you give the requisite notice when leaving. do you have the evidence you gave notice, EG an email etc?

There was no subsidised handsets ever.

I tried to call again three more times each time I was put on hold and eventually cut off.

The VF lady was asking me did I ever have a bill account and I absolutely never did.

I don't have proof of notice the number was ported to Gomo a year ago

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭JohnC.

If you were on prepay, I can't see how they could even bill you.

Could someone have used a card linked to the account to buy a topup? It's been years, but I did once buy a topup for my mother online and I think it was listed similar to that in my account.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Is the transaction 'Vodafone Top Up Vesta' or something like that or just 'Vodafone'?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

There's something very suspicious going on in this country. My dad had unauthorised transactions on his debit card recently. He can't use the ATM and does all business at the desk in BOI. The card is technically just a modern version of a savings book to him. And just last month a never before used Credit Card I keep for emergencies had unauthorised transactions on it. :/ To be fair to AIB, they refunded me, but that card hasn't left the house since it came in the post. In the safe. You could probably guess a valid card number for sure, but that and the CCV and expiry? Again, I genuinely haven't used that card.

• Advertisement

The bank transaction states "Pos Vesta Vodafone Topup Vodaffone.ie"

Absolutely nobody in my home on Vodafone.

I was a year ago on pay as you go never bill.

I got instant replies last night on twitter and was told they couldn't see the bill on the system. They said if I had an active Vodafone account that they would refund it.

I haven't had a bloody account for a year.

JohnC. wrote: »
    If you were on prepay, I can't see how they could even bill you.

Could someone have used a card linked to the account to buy a topup? It's been years, but I did once buy a topup for my mother online and I think it was listed similar to that in my account.

Absolutely not, nobody in my family on Vodafone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Sarn

That more sounds like a fraudulent transaction rather then Vodafone taking money.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

"Pos Vesta Vodafone Topup Vodaffone.ie"
    POS is point of sale, so this is a debit card charge. Looks like you need to report your card as being compromised and get it cancelled. You should be able to get the charge reversed too. Stop talking to Vodafone and contact your bank.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

IrishHomer wrote: »
    The bank transaction states "Pos Vesta Vodafone Topup Vodaffone.ie"
    just double checking if it was your typo or something else - did the Vodaffone.ie bit contain two f's?

• Advertisement

"Pos Vesta Vodafone Topup Vodaffone.ie"
    POS is point of sale, so this is a debit card charge. Looks like you need to report your card as being compromised and get it cancelled. You should be able to get the charge reversed too. Stop talking to Vodafone and contact your bank.

I originally contacted my bank and they said it was legit and advised me to contact VF

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

I originally contacted my bank and they said it was legit and advised me to contact VF

If you did not perform a point of sale transaction (tap with card or use pin number in a shop) then go back to the bank and tell them it's an unauthorized transaction and request a chargeback, you will probably need to go into a bank and fill out a form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

If you really want tell them you think it's a fraudulent activity transaction so they can investigate it further.

UPDATE!!!!!

I spoke again with my banks fraud department and they established that my old Vodafone account was never closed off and they have been taking €20 per month for the past year even though I was switched to Gomo!

I recall it was set to automatic top up and I later switched online via Gomo website last year.

Weird that Vodafone don't see the monthly transactions

I'm going to inform VF and the bank told me if I wish I can write to bank giving print offs and full details to make a claim for a refund to the bank.

I have to include a copy of the twitter discussion with VF

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

UPDATE!!!!!

I spoke again with my banks fraud department and they established that my old Vodafone account was never closed off and they have been taking €20 per month for the past year even though I was switched to Gomo!

I recall it was set to automatic top up and I later switched online via Gomo website last year.

Weird that Vodafone don't see the monthly transactions

I'm going to inform VF and the bank told me if I wish I can write to bank giving print offs and full details to make a claim for a refund to the bank.

I have to include a copy of the twitter discussion with VF
    Vesta is a third-party company that the network providers use to sell PAYG credit. As the Vodafone account no longer exists, these top-ups are probably just not showing up on the Vodafone system.

Quackster wrote: »
    Vesta is a third-party company that the network providers use to sell PAYG credit. As the Vodafone account no longer exists, these top-ups are probably just not showing up on the Vodafone system.
    Thanks, I am still waiting for a Vodafone rep to contact me, I was told someone would call me yesterday.

Update!

Four days waiting and VF rep still never called me as was promised on Twitter DM

Looks like I'll just now proceed to write to my bank asking for a refund of the €120 from Vodafone Ireland robbed from my bank account

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Hi Op

Contact - vfcustomersupport@trustvesta.com

Looking at the VF T&Cs you needed to contact vesta directly to stop the automatic top up, which is a joke also but explains why they kept taking the money.

Hopefully you get a quicker resolution with the above email but great that the bank are helping you so you'll be sorted either way.

Positive Update!!!!

Good news!!!!

Thanks everyone for advice.

This morning VF on Twitter promised me a call.

I quickly received a call from the account closure department, all they could do was confirm account closure and delete all my bank card payment details.

Then VF twitter gave me a number to call and I did and after being put on hold for cut off once again.

Then I persisted called again I explained my situation, guy put me on hold for 30 minutes and he came back and told me they eventually found the details and the glitch and he assured me 6 months of top ups €120 will be returned to my bank ac within five working days.

I'm very relieved and happy now :)

Advertisement