Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Womens sports in Cork

Options
  • 01-02-2021 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi all,

Been thinking a lot about my recreational time in adulthood and have started to reminisce about my youth which was filled with loads of different team sport activities. Now, in my late 20s I realise it is going on ten years since I played sport regularly and would love to start playing again.

I am aware that there is obviously no sports and in particular team sports at the moment, but would love anyone's insight into any sporting activities for adult women in Cork? I have dabbled in Tag Rugby which was brilliant but I'd love to go a step further and even introduce some training when we return to some form of normality.

Thanks in advance,
    Spideoige

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Prim_rose2020

I know when my sister was in Galway, she used the app meetup.com to find social groups including amateur sports teams... basketball, tag rugby etc. I'm sure Cork should have the same on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Spideoige

I know when my sister was in Galway, she used the app meetup.com to find social groups including amateur sports teams... basketball, tag rugby etc. I'm sure Cork should have the same on it.

Never heard of that site, thanks. It currently is very much so online based so I'll have to revert back to it in the coming months.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 ReahKelly

Restarting your game is a good decision. Best of luck. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I have a few female friends who play field hockey. Seem to get a lot of different levels and just have people playing it casually

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Garryduff Sports Centre in Rochestown offers a few clubs teams and sports. Hockey, tennis and Badminton for sure .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

Spideoige wrote: »
    Hi all,

Been thinking a lot about my recreational time in adulthood and have started to reminisce about my youth which was filled with loads of different team sport activities. Now, in my late 20s I realise it is going on ten years since I played sport regularly and would love to start playing again.

I am aware that there is obviously no sports and in particular team sports at the moment, but would love anyone's insight into any sporting activities for adult women in Cork? I have dabbled in Tag Rugby which was brilliant but I'd love to go a step further and even introduce some training when we return to some form of normality.

Thanks in advance,
    Spideoige

Fair amount of women's soccer teams around not all are teens etc, hiking clubs, and tae kwon dao

ReahKelly wrote: »
    Restarting your game is a good decision. Best of luck. :)

Thanks, I have thought about it for quite some time now. When I was in college I felt I was much too busy studying and doing assignments to take up sport which I regret now but feel that surely it's never too late.
    titan18 wrote: »
    I have a few female friends who play field hockey. Seem to get a lot of different levels and just have people playing it casually

I know that there are some well established hockey teams around Cork but generally I have found that the girls played in school at the least so I would be well out of my depth but definitely one to think of.
    Garryduff Sports Centre in Rochestown offers a few clubs teams and sports. Hockey, tennis and Badminton for sure .
    I didn't think of tennis or badminton actually, they're not sports I 'd be much familiar with but something I'll certainly add to the list to look into hopefully in the next year.

Fair amount of women's soccer teams around not all are teens etc, hiking clubs, and taw Leon dao

Yep, I figured there are plenty of women out there playing every sport you can think of but I guess for me, I couldn't see myself joining an established team that is on the slightly more experienced/competitive side. I must reach out to some soccer clubs and see if there are different leagues or alternatives for people like me who wouldn't exactly consider themselves as skillful, or even have the potential to be as skillful, as lots of the women of Cork who are involved in sports.

Thanks, I have thought about it for quite some time now. When I was in college I felt I was much too busy studying and doing assignments to take up sport which I regret now but feel that surely it's never too late.

I know that there are some well established hockey teams around Cork but generally I have found that the girls played in school at the least so I would be well out of my depth but definitely one to think of.

I didn't think of tennis or badminton actually, they're not sports I 'd be much familiar with but something I'll certainly add to the list to look into hopefully in the next year.

Yep, I figured there are plenty of women out there playing every sport you can think of but I guess for me, I couldn't see myself joining an established team that is on the slightly more experienced/competitive side. I must reach out to some soccer clubs and see if there are different leagues or alternatives for people like me who wouldn't exactly consider themselves as skillful, or even have the potential to be as skillful, as lots of the women of Cork who are involved in sports.
    All skill sets are catered for

All skill sets are catered for

I've found it difficult in the past to find local city teams that had more than one ladies team, would you know of a club specifically?

I've found it difficult in the past to find local city teams that had more than one ladies team, would you know of a club specifically?

Wilton AFAIK, carrigaline maybe, any martial arts club always welcome ppl of all ages, sons a black belt but when he started tae kwon dao half his class were on their 30 a, and the older ones are still there, great for fitness - v inclusive.
    Red phone number for Wilton or tae kwon dao I can pm u the numbers if required

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭cantalach

A number of the cycling clubs have a significant % of members who are women. De Ronde van Cork was 20% last time I heard. Their FB page would give you a fair idea what the club is about, at least in normal times. In cycling clubs, men and women train together, i.e. it’s a unisex sport outside of organised racing.

Interesting that you mention your age because cycling clubs often gain a lot of members in late-20s and early-30s who perhaps had played field sports when younger but are getting to an age where the injuries and niggles in those sports are becoming unsustainably frequent.

Advertisement