Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house/apartment in Cork

Options
  • 01-02-2021 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I am hoping to move to Cork City shortly. I will be working in Hanover St. Im in my 30's and I am moving by myself so I don’t need schools etc. I want to be within 30/35 min walk of Hanover St.
    I am looking for a modern 2 bed apartment/house in the south side of the city. (Max 200k budget)
    I hope to live somewhere between Cork university Hospital and St Finbars Hospital out as far as the N40 approx.
    Is this a rough area? If there are any areas to avoid please let me know.
    I would like to swim before work. Are there any decent swimming pools in this area?
    Are there any decent apartment blocks or apartments I should avoid in this area? (e.g. student apartment block are out).
    What areas flood? How far away from the river would be safe?
    What is like to get home at night after the nightclub/late pubs. Are there plenty of taxis or do people take buses etc. I want a social life but I don’t want to live in a traffic area at night where you can hear everyone coming out of the pubs.
    I also have to park my car. So I need safe parking at night.
    If I cannot find anything in this area, I was very interested in living on the Midleton train line. Is there any of these stops you would avoid? Is there a lot of antisocial behaviour on this line (beyond an odd scuffle)
    What areas of Midleton flood. Would I safe enough buying above the train station. Someone once wrote only the bottom half of Midleton flooded. How far up the town do the floods reach?
    Is there any other suburbs that would have a bus that arrives before 8am in the morning for work.
    Is there any other suburbs I should look into that are about 20 mins on a bus that has a regular bus service to and from the city?
    Any advise welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Just on the travel options, the 220 bus route runs 24 hours a day, travelling between Ovens to the West of the city, through the city centre, and to Carrigaline in the South East. If you're anywhere near that route, it'll help a lot with work and late night options.

Flooding is mostly a problem around the city centre. There were (for instance) floods in Douglas a few years back, but caused by a blocked drain rather than a recurring issue.

200 is probably a bit low considering you're looking to live close the city centre on the south side (a popular choice). Did a quick search on Daft and did find several properties just below that price, but as ever the actual selling price could be higher than listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Prim_rose2020

who_me wrote: »
    Just on the travel options, the 220 bus route runs 24 hours a day, travelling between Ovens to the West of the city, through the city centre, and to Carrigaline in the South East. If you're anywhere near that route, it'll help a lot with work and late night options.

Flooding is mostly a problem around the city centre. There were (for instance) floods in Douglas a few years back, but caused by a blocked drain rather than a recurring issue.

200 is probably a bit low considering you're looking to live close the city centre on the south side (a popular choice). Did a quick search on Daft and did find several properties just below that price, but as ever the actual selling price could be higher than listed.

Thanks for the reply. Very helpful. I'll look into bus 220.
    Hoping I'll get lucky with the property. If I find properties are getting too expensive ill have to look at the various bus routes.
    Thats why I'm looking for alternative locations.
    I'd be nervous looking in the North of the city when I wouldn't be sure of the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭shawki

Hoping I'll get lucky with the property. If I find properties are getting too expensive ill have to look at the various bus routes.
    I'd be nervous looking in the North of the city when I wouldn't be sure of the area.

You don’t seem too have too much knowledge about any area in Cork so why disregard half the city straight away?

If you’re that nervous, maybe a city isn’t for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Be right back

I like the st lukes area of the city. Not far from the city centre. You have the Montenotte Hotel leisure centre nearby. There is also the Ambassador Hotel but not sure if they have a swimming pool.

There are some very nice older parts of the city on the North inner side (Wellington Road, St. Luke's, Gardiner's Hill, Montenotte to the East; Sunday's Well Rd., Strawberry Hill etc. to the West). I never lived further out towards outskirts so can't comment on them. Most of the Northside (bar Blackpool) is pretty hilly so if you're regularly walking you'd need to factor that in.

Street View on Google Maps is always a great tool for checking out areas before you visit on foot.

If there's any address/area you're not sure of, just post it here and we'll give you an opinion. Probably several contradicting ones!

• Advertisement

who_me wrote: »
    There are some very nice older parts of the city on the North inner side (Wellington Road, St. Luke's, Gardiner's Hill, Montenotte to the East; Sunday's Well Rd., Strawberry Hill etc. to the West). I never lived further out towards outskirts so can't comment on them. Most of the Northside (bar Blackpool) is pretty hilly so if you're regularly walking you'd need to factor that in.

Street View on Google Maps is always a great tool for checking out areas before you visit on foot.

If there's any address/area you're not sure of, just post it here and we'll give you an opinion. Probably several contradicting ones!

I'm still looking at some of the North. Id just have to do research on specific properties. Read a bit on some of the areas. Few properties on Blarney St.

The properties all seem to be hugging the river. A hill might stop river flooding property. Lol

Does the whole of the island where Hanover St flood? There are a few properties on that island.
    How nice is the area around Kent Station?

Is there any places that get very crowded with concerts or events similar to Croke Park in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

I’m sorry but you should not be buying until you rent for at least 1-2 years. After 1year in. Consider looking to buy after this but you need to get familiar with good and bad spots before you commit life long decision.

The north side has some bad spots so you need to be careful. This is why you need to rent before you buy. Rent in the area you want to buy first so you can tell if you like that spot or not.

Fol20 wrote: »
    I’m sorry but you should not be buying until you rent for at least 1-2 years. After 1year in. Consider looking to buy after this but you need to get familiar with good and bad spots before you commit life long decision.

The north side has some bad spots so you need to be careful. This is why you need to rent before you buy. Rent in the area you want to buy first so you can tell if you like that spot or not.

I want to rent where I will be buying. I'm not buying tomorrow. Paperwork alone will take ages. I'm just in research mode at the moment. No point in renting in city centre if I can't afford to buy there.
    Location is still important when I'm renting too. I'm just looking advise at the moment. I wouldn't be making life decisions based on the Internet. I just trying to reduce obvious mistakes in the beginning and wasting time and money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,996 ✭✭✭opus

I'm still looking at some of the North. Id just have to do research on specific properties. Read a bit on some of the areas. Few properties on Blarney St.

The properties all seem to be hugging the river. A hill might stop river flooding property. Lol

Does the whole of the island where Hanover St flood? There are a few properties on that island.

Is there any places that get very crowded with concerts or events similar to Croke Park in Dublin?

Do you mean Crosses Green, that whole place becomes a lake during bad flooding. I was trying to include a pic I took last Oct but attachments look to be broken on boards at the moment. There was one house for sale at the time on Sharman Crawford St where the water was around a foot up the pole for the sign! Hope whoever purchased it knew what they were getting into.

541819.jpg

Most of the Northside is elevated; the only areas that are likely to be vulnerable are Blackpool - which has flooded regularly - and parts of the Lower Glanmire Road.

The city centre island doesn't flood that often - but if you're a home owner once is too many. It's very flat, but there are elevation differences of as little as tens of centimetres which can be the difference between one street flooding and an adjacent street not. Oliver Plunkett St., Winthrop St., Union Quay and parts of South Mall I think are among the lowest and first to flood.

I lived on Hanover St. for a few years and don't remember it ever flooding then. But with climate change, and the possibility of one or other flood relief schemes being implemented, it's hard to know.

The area immediately around Kent station is being redeveloped currently (office developments, apartments, hotel) so it could be an upcoming area. That's dependent too on what happens post-Covid obviously. Just again on the flooding - near the station is elevated and safe; behind (North) is very elevated; but further along the road away from the city are areas that have previously been prone to flooding (Lower Glanmire Road).

• Advertisement

Oh, and on the 'busy areas', other than the city centre on a weekend or student night - the only areas that might be crowded are sports related; around Pairc Ui Chaoimh (to the East of the city centre) and Musgrave Park (Munster games) or Turners Cross (Cork City) to the South.

The Event Centre might draw big crowds, should it ever get built!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Would the apartments on the lee road be too far out for you. They would be under 200. Quiet etc.

Cons would be if you don’t drive, the nearest shopping centre would be Tesco express, Wilton or city centre.

Besides that. I don’t know if any other areas where you will get everything your looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭blindsider

River Lee Hotel has a 20m pool etc

https://www.doylecollection.com/hotels/the-river-lee-hotel/fitness

it's 5 mins walk from Hanover St

The Clayton Hotel has an 18m pool and is 10 - 12 mins walk

I think your general areas of interest are correct, and I'd add St Luke's/Gardiner's Hill.

Douglas is a very popular spot but traffic is an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Fol20 wrote: »
    Would the apartments on the lee road be too far out for you. They would be under 200. Quiet etc.

Cons would be if you don’t drive, the nearest shopping centre would be Tesco express, Wilton or city centre.

Besides that. I don’t know if any other areas where you will get everything your looking for.
    This would have you to Hanover St. within 35minutes however, having viewed apartments there a few years ago - most are fitted with electric heating, have high ceilings and due to protection orders on the single pane windows - they cannot be replaced so it seems you'll forever be trying to heat the place that was my impression.

There is a centra close by, the kingsley for pool/gym but for a larger shop you'd want to head to Wilton though the bus route will take you up that direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

I think you should be able to find something to suit your budget in the city. On the southside, I'd suggest the Turner's Cross or Ballyphehane areas. There are two sports venues nearby as another poster mentioned but the disruption is not too bad unless you are very close to either one.
    On the North side, maybe Gurranebraher.
    All of these are quite "settled" areas.

For flood-prone areas, you can search here: https://www.floodinfo.ie/map/floodmaps/
    Mainly the city centre, parts of Douglas and Blackpool.

There are modern apartments in the Lee Road complex, behind the old building. These probably would be easier to heat.
    e.g.
    https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/apartment-apartment-411-river-towers-co-cork/1455540
    https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/apartment-apartment-304-river-towers-shanakiel-co-cork/1525443

I think you should be able to find something to suit your budget in the city. On the southside, I'd suggest the Turner's Cross or Ballyphehane areas. There are two sports venues nearby as another poster mentioned but the disruption is not too bad unless you are very close to either one.
    On the North side, maybe Gurranebraher.
    All of these are quite "settled" areas.

For flood-prone areas, you can search here: https://www.floodinfo.ie/map/floodmaps/
    Mainly the city centre, parts of Douglas and Blackpool.

There are modern apartments in the Lee Road complex, behind the old building. These probably would be easier to heat.
    e.g.
    https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/apartment-apartment-411-river-towers-co-cork/1455540
    https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/apartment-apartment-304-river-towers-shanakiel-co-cork/1525443

Lee Road has no bus stop. You have to walk for at least 20 mins to nearest bus stop. Atkin Hall i thought was student accommodation... ill look into the other areas.

blindsider wrote: »
    River Lee Hotel has a 20m pool etc

https://www.doylecollection.com/hotels/the-river-lee-hotel/fitness

it's 5 mins walk from Hanover St

The Clayton Hotel has an 18m pool and is 10 - 12 mins walk

I think your general areas of interest are correct, and I'd add St Luke's/Gardiner's Hill.

Douglas is a very popular spot but traffic is an issue.

I never understand how electric heater can be such a disaster. They are such a waste and mad expensive.
    The swimming pools like u said i could find close to Hanover St. Ill keep a note thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Get a job in the dole office?

yenom wrote: »
    Get a job in the dole office?

No. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

No. Why?

I would have thought that was the only business on that street.

• Advertisement

yenom wrote: »
    I would have thought that was the only business on that street.

I didn't but up the exact street..

Advertisement