Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

Neddyusa wrote: »
    Cold and dry til Wednesday

And then?!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,094 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Burts Bee wrote: »
    And then?!![/QUOTE

Dude where is my car?!!

The possibility of heavy frontal snow

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Reversal

If i could ever bank a run it would be the latest ECM! A snowy run for many and the cold hangs on for 8 days. Thats more than a brief cold spell in my view!

Looking at the fax charts, the forecast thickness is uninspiring. Any thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭almostthere12

If i could ever bank a run it would be the latest ECM! A snowy run for many and the cold hangs on for 8 days. Thats more than a brief cold spell in my view!

Looks a good one alright, quite similar to GFS para.......have the stars aligned.....I mean charts!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Chalkitdown147

This is definitely a nowcast situation. The major thing needed ie cold is on the way, just need other elements to come into line now. Dublin, at the beginning, *could* see some good accumulations but as was said earlier when I see the first flakes then I'll be more certain!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭Calibos

Got Yaktrax Snow grips for all the families boots/shoes a few weeks ago after the Bray Ninja Snow early January. Ordered new passenger-side Wingmirror glass that some cheapskate stole for the work/delivery van....and a set of Snow Socks for the front wheels. We deliver your newspaper hail, rain or.......Blizzards. :D:D Ordered those yesterday as the models where firming up and coalescing on a few days of snow here in the east at minimum. UPS 1 day shipping from Dublin should mean they arrive in Bray this evening or tomorrow morning at the latest. Will do a bigger than normal Cash&Carry run on Friday and order extra milk and bread in for Monday Morning. Saturday I'll do a 10 day Grocery Shop.

I AM READY!!!

:D:D

Reversal wrote: »
    Looking at the fax charts, the forecast thickness is uninspiring. Any thoughts?

It could be better, but i think we will still do ok. Although i would defer to GL on this as he is the expert on these matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Calibos wrote: »
    Got Yaktrax Snow grips for all the families boots/shoes a few weeks ago after the Bray Ninja Snow early January. Ordered new passenger-side Wingmirror glass that some cheapskate stole for the work/delivery van....and a set of Snow Socks for the front wheels. We deliver your newspaper hail, rain or.......Blizzards. :D:D Ordered those yesterday as the models where firming up and coalescing on a few days of snow here in the east at minimum. UPS 1 day shipping from Dublin should mean they arrive in Bray this evening or tomorrow morning at the latest. Will do a bigger than normal Cash&Carry run on Friday and order extra milk and bread in for Monday Morning. Saturday I'll do a 10 day Grocery Shop.

I AM READY!!!

:D:D

No mention of booze :confused::D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Yep and it’s not the GFS either which is prone to crazy runs.

Pangea wrote: »
    Do these broadcast on any TV channel?

Yes,they directly provide the forecast maps for itv news Inc utv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

When the Atlantic low comes in there at the end of the week and brings in the prolonged snow for awhile I'm just in shock :eek::D

Here's praying to good streamer lines too before then from Sunday night.

It could be better, but i think we will still do ok. Although i would defer to GL on this as he is the expert on these matters.

Going on the forecast for the UK,I don't think thickness will be as much an issue as you will have freezing surface winds off UK snow fields

Seems mad talking about this in the current 8c temps

TTLF wrote: »
    When the Atlantic low comes in there at the end of the week and brings in the prolonged snow for awhile I'm just in shock :eek::D

That’s a world away at this stage. Nice to see but the odds of it working out like that are not high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭now online

Do any of you see the Cork snow shield failing ( please say yes, please say yes! )

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

TTLF wrote: »

I'm just hoping the Low does not melt over the South Coast and drench Cork in rain!

obi604 wrote: »
    Just curious really ;)
    Why the mention of who did the forecast?

Because we always say who,at least I do
    That far out on the type of forecast that the 5 to 8 is,what Siobhán said was measured and plenty
    Forecasts for them aren't going to be easy in the next week as you have to be measured and accurate and don't have the leeway for all the speculation we do here
    That said,I'd expect from Sunday onwards,their forecasts to be a lot wintrier :D as this thing is like a great big truck driving down at us

now online wrote: »
    Do any of you see the Cork snow shield failing ( please say yes, please say yes! )

I'm reasonably confident that at times shower trains will come in there
    Not always marginal
    Its less certain down there as there's more scope for to be on the mild side of Atlantic pushes especially on the coast

• Registered Users Posts: 6,018 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

MT mentioning mixing down below the midlands counties this morning. 850s look good to me for the entire east coast from Sunday evening onwards, Any reason why there would be mixing further south?

MT mentioning mixing down below the midlands counties this morning. 850s look good to me for the entire east coast from Sunday evening onwards, Any reason why there would be mixing further south?

Not so sure about that either. This isn’t an Atlantic airflow and uppers don’t have to be as favourable.

I think that's not settled, it's really him talking about the models now,things will change
    For instance a scenario I mentioned up thread,*if* the UK gets as much snow as expected, that's going to mean colder surface air advection to Ireland on top of all the other factors promoting cold mitigating any mixing
    Edit
    Just to clarify MT is talking about mixed precip types because of less cold uppers
    Not the maritime mixing kind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

An Ri rua wrote: »
    White '47...

Just following up on some mails here, as I've just posted in Greater depth in the technical thread, Im a bit surprised at MTs downbeat forecast for the south. When I saw the models this morning I was delighted.

AuntySnow wrote: »
    I think that's not settled, it's really him talking about the models now,things will change
    For instance a scenario I mentioned up thread,*if* the UK gets as much snow as expected, that's going to mean colder surface air advection to Ireland on top of all the other factors promoting cold mitigating any mixing
    Edit
    Just to clarify MT is talking about mixed precip types because of less cold uppers
    Not the maritime mixing kind

Yeah I got the impression he was just covering most angles. Hopefully marginality won't be a problem for most!

No idea why that came up as a reply to the White 47 post either (though that did make me laugh)

Yeah I got the impression he was just covering most angles. Hopefully marginality won't be a problem for most!

I don't think it will in the Enniscorthy area anyway

AuntySnow wrote: »
    I don't think it will in the Enniscorthy area anyway

Don't associate me with Enniscorthy! :D I'm just outside Wexford town it won't be a problem here at 200m but I've young family I've promised snow in town so hopefully we're good to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

GFS 6z looking a little better in the short term- very cold 850hPa temps pushing in Sunday night

gfs-0-90.png?6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

We aren't far away now

gfs-1-102.png?6

Steady streamers coming ashore with nice build up of snow

gfs-0-132.png?6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

The 6z is a very significant upgrade again so far. It looks like it will delay the breakdown out even longer. Cold uppers by Monday now extending well past the west coast into the Atlantic. Atlantic systems weakening and sliding

We aren't far away now

gfs-1-102.png?6

Again, really not seeing any south coast marginality there.....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭Calibos

We aren't far away now

gfs-1-102.png?6

Irish sea SST's are about 8ºc atm. -12ºc 850's over it equals the magic 20ºc temperature differential.

Explosive convection and Thundersnow???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Whilst it is great to see a cold spell coming in, any snow appears to be restricted to the east. I'm expecting nothing in Donegal or Sligo. We never do well with these setups. But look if we get a few hard drying cold days, it's better than the rain and drizzle and the ground is fairly sodden here.

I don't like these battlefront scenarios that some are talking about midweek. 99%of the time if you have a front moving up giving wet heavy snow, you know there's milder air behind it and any accumulations will be gone in a few hours. I'd prefer a good blast from the North.

Re the potential frontal snowfall, for the cold to hang on its better it does not get as far as Ulster, but hopefully it won't start trending too far south either

• Advertisement

There's a page on Facebook called Irish weather online who are using MT's forecasts word for word every day. Doesn't seem to be any credit given or is it someone form here?

Whilst it is great to see a cold spell coming in, any snow appears to be restricted to the east. I'm expecting nothing in Donegal or Sligo. We never do well with these setups. But look if we get a few hard drying cold days, it's better than the rain and drizzle and the ground is fairly sodden here.

I don't like these battlefront scenarios that some are talking about midweek. 99%of the time if you have a front moving up giving wet heavy snow, you know there's milder air behind it and any accumulations will be gone in a few hours. I'd prefer a good blast from the North.

The longer this goes on the greater the chance of winds swinging around to a more favourable direction for you to get snowfall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

There's a page on Facebook called Irish weather online who are using MT's forecasts word for word every day. Doesn't seem to be any credit given or is it someone form here?

MT is a member of IWO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

It is MT :)

I think he is involved with that site?

• Advertisement

MT is a member of IWO.
    It is MT :)

Ah very good, thanks

Re the potential frontal snowfall, for the cold to hang on its better it does not get as far as Ulster, but hopefully it won't start trending too far south either

If it was rain it would hit us like a bullseye!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Depends where you live lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

For once in my life I thibk people e need to not take Mt's forecast so literal

While a god among mortals he is also analysing charts 6 hours old nearly by the time most of us are reading

Every run since his forecast has been an upgrade

Don't be so down beat yet people
    keep the faith

That page has been around for years,it's actually run by Mt and Oneiric and 1 or 2 more from here
    They're also on twitter

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    For once in my life I thibk people e need to not take Mt's forecast so literal

While a god among mortals he is also analysing charts 6 hours old nearly by the time most of us are reading

Every run since his forecast has been an upgrade

Don't be so down beat yet people
    keep the faith

He is outlining a range of possibilities which is no harm to dampen expectations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

He is outlining a range of possibilities which is no harm to dampen expectations.

True but people taking it as gospel might be pleasantly surprised because as we have noted today's charts seem to remove any room for error with these margins down south

Still early

I wouldn't dare contradict him BTW. Reading his forecasts since my college days in carlow. (had 2 big snow years 2010-2011)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

I agree with you. I am not keen on these fronts either.

I would prefer they stay away and we get snow out of a trough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

So basically we get nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Yeah, total overreaction to what is a potential outlined on some ensembles. The most populated areas of the south coast are also near the coastline and this is the stark reality when it comes to even slightly marginal temps. As for milder air incursions, if the general trend on models verify then these may only raise temperatures for half a day or so during the otherwise-cold synoptics - rather than an even north-south divide for the whole week.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement