Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Manitoban wrote: »
    I’m 5 mins outside of dunleer and nothing here either, even though it’s showing snow falling all evening on the radar.

I've the blinds open tonight so I can check without leaving the bed lol

Seeing all these Louth posts and it's dry as a bone..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Temperatures could fall that low over some higher ground areas like mountains. This is most likely what it's picking up as them areas do have alot of mountains.

A low temperature warning may be issued for Tuesday night and Wednesday morning for Ireland as temperatures could drop to -6C or -7C locally in parts of the northwest, west and southwest.

OUCH!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Maybe your man from eglinton can drive up and see what’s going on up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

lucalux wrote: »
    She looks like she's happy about the prospect of snow, like many of us here..

I've never seen her before, but is she always that wiggly?!:)

You made me open it to see :D

Clearly one of those kids who always spun in circles if they were let near an office chair ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭watlantic

What a surprise !
    It's snowing lightly here near Westport.
    Not much, but there's a light covering and it even is the powdery stuff, getting blown about a bit on the ground by the 10-15 knots NE wind.
    Current temperature is -0.1ºC
    I think I'll have a whiskey now, too. :D

Edit 01:45: Had the whiskey, 'cause it was over after few minutes and the still wet ground has absorbed most of it by now.
    A good start though when you don't expect anything.
    Wind now NE 13.2 kts, temp. +0.1, rel. hum. 84%, 1008 hPa

2nd edit 02:01 hrs:
    It started to snow lightly again ! Not much, but it is nice to stand out there and watch the small flakes dancing towards your face and to feel them melt. I'm not that mad for snow, but 'gimmee' that now, so we can have decent spring. The first few seed spuds are in the ground (St. Bridget's day), but they're safely under cover. Bring it on !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭lucalux

ari101 wrote: »
    You made me open it to see :D

Clearly one of those kids who always spun in circles if they were let near an office chair ;)

I was thinking the same! Loving the swivel chair to bits so she is, i kept rewinding it to marvel at the fluidity of the wiggles.
    Hypnotic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Gonzo wrote: »
    hopefully later tonight and tomorrow we will see streamers with the intensity that is currently in the far north of Donegal, those look like the real deal.

Being grapeling here in Dunshaughlin for several hours now and the 'depth' has barely changed. If this was snow rather than graupel we would have a decent covering by now.

Looks like the Irish Sea is waking up again.

How have you not seen snow given I'm much closer to the coast?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭bassy

Nqp15hhu wrote: »

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Here is the snow accumulations so far across Culduff, north Inishowen, Donegal from them streamers. Decent covering already. Sent to mebby one of the page followers in the area.

FB_IMG_1612835794862.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Snowing here in Carrick on Shannon now - 1c didn't think the showers would make it this far in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Dazler97 wrote: »
    Snowing here in Carrick on Shannon now - 1c didn't think the showers would make it this far in

You could get a covering after all! That is a solid streamer going right at you if it keeps up decent intensity.

John.Icy wrote: »
    You could get a covering after all! That is a solid streamer going right at you if it keeps up decent intensity.

Aw stop I hope so, I'm staying up anyway till like 4 so being it on, I honestly think more will fall possibly

Nqp15hhu wrote: »

OR,
    yer man from Delmonte will say........

YES! :P

Screen-Shot-2015-05-26-at-22.23.44.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

I think the ice pellets might be adding intensity to some of the streamers on radar, rover amplifying the actual activity. Louth/Cavan should be white by now according to the radar.

Nabber wrote: »
    I think the ice pellets might be adding intensity to some of the streamers on radar, rover amplifying the actual activity. Louth/Cavan should be white by now according to the radar.

I'm hoping it reaches me in Carrick on Shannon, I've had a few flurries but that's it

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭watlantic

That light flurry of small flakes reported earlier continues near Westport and I'm still wondering where that came from. Streamers I wasn't expecting to reach here at all, but any climate has microclimates. Odd to see that white dusting here so early in this forecasting period.
    Anyway, now it's back to 0.0ºC, the rest almost unchanged since my last report.
    Flurry: Noun origin: late 17th century: from obsolete flurr‘fly up, flutter, whirr’ (imitative), probably influenced by hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 johnny45

Nothing in south dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭redarmy

johnny45 wrote: »
    Nothing in south dublin

Any snow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭lolie

It just shows how quickly things can change. When it looked like all the stuff on the radar was bypassing here earlier its snowing moderately here for the last two hours or so with the odd heavier burst with big fluffy flakes now and again.
    2 cm on the ground already, south cavan.
    IMG-20210209-025558.jpg
    IMG-20210209-025028.jpg

Short clip https://streamable.com/o51rdj

lolie wrote: »
    It just shows how quickly things can change. When it looked like all the stuff on the radar was bypassing here earlier its snowing moderately here for the last two hours or so with the odd heavier burst with big fluffy flakes now and again.
    2 cm on the ground already, south cavan.
    IMG-20210209-025558.jpg
    IMG-20210209-025028.jpg

Send it west to Carrick on Shannon, also cavan should have been added in that warning, I mean Monaghan was

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭bassy

Send it west to Carrick on Shannon, also cavan should have been added in that warning, I mean Monaghan was

the night club still going strong in carrick,prior to covid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭lolie

If it's heading your direction then it should easily reach that far. Very heavy burst now, heaviest snow this winter.
    Yeah i thought it a bit strange to not at least mention cavan or part of it in the warnings, there'll probably be one in the morning after the snow has stopped falling.

lolie wrote: »
    If it's heading your direction then it should easily reach that far. Very heavy burst now, heaviest snow this winter.
    Yeah i thought it a bit strange to not at least mention cavan or part of it in the warnings, there'll probably be one in the morning after the snow has stopped falling.

I hope I get more and yes haha they probably will issue a warning when it's too late

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Fiddlesticks, little to nothing left in the curragh on the way to work

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dodo mommy

Snow is great for kids and fun. For most it is a fkn pain in the rear end.

I love the way the worst possible influx of sneachta will always melt in the end.

Couldn't agree with you more, snow is a absolute pain great for kids but why on earth would anybody in their right mind want it to snow? It only brings hardship and misery when trying to work outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

No snow Offaly, wasn't expecting anything. Dry as a bone and cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Naas didn't receive any more since last night.

Oh well, those are the breaks

It's pretty cold and my radiator isn't working, but snow will be a nice distraction for a few days from the liminal life we have found for ourselves recently.

Please get some heat going? Hypothermia is not funny and creeps up on you unawares..

dodo mommy wrote: »
    Couldn't agree with you more, snow is a absolute pain great for kids but why on earth would anybody in their right mind want it to snow? It only brings hardship and misery when trying to work outside.

I know, I know. Most here have never seen or " suffered" real snow. But at least all this is a real distraction just now. Back in 2010 after a couple of weeks of it the mood changed!

I lived a decade up in Orkney where we had thick snow every winter and the attitude was totally different there. It changed how I saw it forever. Caution and enjoy the sight. I had livestock to protect too. It was simply an integral part of life there. Here it is a novelty.

• Advertisement

I went to check met ie, saw the temp figure of -2 and closed the page... I finished knitting a blanket yesterday and it is on the bed straight away.

Hibernation makes sense...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement