Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Could be fun from Thursday though for more of the country. Very difficult to forecast next few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

Nice dusting of snow by me in D15. Was hoping for bit more. But happy enough that there is.
    As I drove into work, looking how little some got and others none. In city centre.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

No sign of any overnight snow in south Dublin (Dublin 16).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Danno wrote: »
    Weathercheck has been on the Twitter machine answering your question:

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/1358803657354002435

Ooh.. that has to be one of the funniest twit threads I have read in ages laughing so loud I hope I dont wake the neighbours early... from clochini beag sneachta...to how do we make it stick....and everywhere in between..thanks.. great way to awake :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Very light snow falling near coill dubh, kildare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭bazlers

The latest met eirean forecast indicates cold snowy conditions possibly persisting in midlands, North east and north leinster until Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

I am actually glad we have avoided the snow to allow search teams to look for those 4 individuals missing in Galway since December.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I am actually glad we have avoided the snow to allow search teams to look for those 4 individuals missing in Galway since December.

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

DOCARCH wrote: »

Yes looks like we got lucky alright. A light dusting but nothing to bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Zogabomb

Met Eireann are quite bullish that the cold snowy weather will hang on in the North and East until Saturday / Sunday. Looks like a much quicker breakdown on Friday according to this mornings GFS and ECM.

Interesting few days ahead!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Yes it really bodes well for east, north and midlands, sounds like really big snow potential from now until the weekend. Really interesting to see how this develops.
    bazlers wrote: »
    The latest met eirean forecast indicates cold snowy conditions possibly persisting in midlands, North east and north leinster until Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Very light dusting of graupel in Swords this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

:confused:

Sorry, just sobering reading this morning about the efforts of the Oranmore Maree search team and the public searching for people who have gone missing in Galway recently, one from my workplace. I am sure they will be glad if the snow stays away.

Zogabomb wrote: »
    Met Eireann are quite bullish that the cold snowy weather will hang on in the North and East until Saturday / Sunday. Looks like a much quicker breakdown on Friday according to this mornings GFS and ECM.

Interesting few days ahead!

Interesting alright. Only issue is that our 'default' is mild....mild tends to win in these situations. :(

Doesn’t really seem like a normal situation though this week. Any time mild has looked like returning the cold pushes back. Will have to see
    Interesting alright. Only issue is that our 'default' is mild....mild tends to win in these situations. :(

Doesn’t really seem like a normal situation though this week. Any time mild has looked like returning the cold pushes back. Will have to see

Have been here before in the past, in similar situations, with high confidence of cold hanging on/snow, only for the mild air to very quickly overwhelm the cold.

Anyway....we'll wait and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

That Met Éireann forecast would have been issued before the latest ECM, unless it’s a big outlier I would expect it to downgrade to reflect model changes.

In positive news. very cold in Scotland this morning. -15c atm in Altnaharra. :cool:

That’s one run, they are like musical chairs
    Villain wrote: »
    That Met Éireann forecast would have been issued before the latest ECM, unless it’s a big outlier I would expect it to downgrade to reflect model changes.

That’s one run, they are like musical chairs

I'll take 24 hours of moderate snow at this stage, looks likely in my opinion!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Sorry, just sobering reading this morning about the efforts of the Oranmore Maree search team and the public searching for people who have gone missing in Galway recently, one from my workplace. I am sure they will be glad if the snow stays away.

Thank you; I was shamefully totally unaware of this. And yes it adds a dimension of stark realism to the situation.

I was thinking earlier too about the homeless. Hoping they are all in safe shelter. Just going outside here is bitter. I cannot imagine being out there with no shelter.

And again; check on neighbours, please

THEN enjoy the snow !

What's needed now is an uplifting/re-assuring Little Old Snowy Me post! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 16 johnny45

A non event after all the hype

johnny45 wrote: »

Still 4 days of a cold spell to go....

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

johnny45 wrote: »

1st day of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Dublin Airport SNOWTAM (coded message regarding snow conditions), issued at 06:05. Nothing to report really. Runway is damp, no deposits, all runways and taxiways have been sprayed with potassium acetate salt solution.

SNOWTAM
    A) EIDW
    B) 02090605 C) 10R F) 1/1/1 G) 00/00/00 H) 5/5/5
    B) 02090615 C) 16 F) 1/1/1 G) 00/00/00 H) 5/5/5
    T) RUNWAY 10R/28L AND RUNWAY 16/34 HAVE BEEN SPRAYED WITH KAC.
    TAXIWAYS FOX INNER AND OUTER, M1, W1, W2, W3, DELTA NORTH AND SOUTH
    HAVE ALSO BEEN SPRAYED WITH KAC. EXERCISE CAUTION ON ALL TAXIWAYS
    AND APRON AREAS.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

A nice covering of snow made it as far as north Longford overnight.

Dublin Airport SNOWTAM (coded message regarding snow conditions), issued at 06:05. Nothing to report really. Runway is damp, no deposits, all runways and taxiways have been sprayed with potassium acetate salt solution.

SNOWTAM
    A) EIDW
    B) 02090605 C) 10R F) 1/1/1 G) 00/00/00 H) 5/5/5
    B) 02090615 C) 16 F) 1/1/1 G) 00/00/00 H) 5/5/5
    T) RUNWAY 10R/28L AND RUNWAY 16/34 HAVE BEEN SPRAYED WITH KAC.
    TAXIWAYS FOX INNER AND OUTER, M1, W1, W2, W3, DELTA NORTH AND SOUTH
    HAVE ALSO BEEN SPRAYED WITH KAC. EXERCISE CAUTION ON ALL TAXIWAYS
    AND APRON AREAS.)

Enough of this coded stuff :)

What we really want to know is how you see Thursday / Friday playing out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Was very surprised that we got far more snow on Meath/Westmeath border than they have here at work just outside Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

What's needed now is an uplifting/re-assuring Little Old Snowy Me post! :P

:eek:

be careful what you wish for!

And as I said ENJOY .

I am about to emerge from my snug cocoon to inspect the (bare) mountains as light is dawning. "Hope springs eternal" and they do look pretty when there is snow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement