Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Some snow deposited here in Meath but not major blanket cover. We are under the precip radar as I type but nothing falling at the moment. 1⁰.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,443 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

North county Dublin has had a bit of a dusting

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Under a heavy enough streamer in north dub. Precipitation definitely upped since yesterday. Boxes well for streamers today I would feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Graupel and light snow again Dublin 9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

All I'm seeing is what one could only describe as polystyrene pellets dusting the place the odd time.
    Happened in Wexford and now in Northside Dublin near the airport.

Very cold and the wind makes that much worse.

Car wasn't even frozen but covered and it was like dust so just flew off.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

All I'm seeing is what one could only describe as polystyrene pellets dusting the place the odd time.

Graupel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Nice morning. Despite it being clear all night with near calm conditions, -2 is the lowest I recorded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭piplip87

Nice Covering here in Virginia thus morning. Nothing major but enough for a snowman and a snowball fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Graupel.

Is this the actual name? Never heard of before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Very light dusting in D5

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Yes. You will see it referred to a lot on here. :)

Some light graupel falling in Dublin 16 atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

Any snow / streamers due to hit SCD today ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

It's snowflakes that get bounced back up into the supercooled region of the cloud (where the cloud droplets are about -10 °C but still liquid). This supercooled liquid freezes on the surface of the flake, forming a rime coating around it. Think of it like a Malteser.

To distinguish between hail and graupel, graupel will bounce on impact and will crush very easily when pressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Chalkitdown147

Starting to come down heavy here now, mixture. Good start to the day

Edit: Clonee D15

Met office for here forecasts showers to die out this evening and dry overnight and Wednesday. The window is closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Status Yellow - Snow/Ice warning for Dublin, Kildare, Louth, Wicklow, Westmeath, Meath, Cavan and Monaghan
    Met Éireann Weather Warning

Snow accumulations of 2 to 5 cm in places.

Valid: 08:00 Tuesday 09/02/2021 to 18:00 Wednesday 10/02/2021

Issued: 08:08 Tuesday 09/02/2021

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭circadian

Very cold out there, brief blizzard conditions when I was driving about 30 minutes ago but it melted by the time I was in my return 10 minutes later.

This cold air seems to be bedding in, its very bitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

The event is Wednesday night to Friday morning.
    Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Met office for here forecasts showers to die out this evening and dry overnight and Wednesday. The window is closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭coconnellz

Met only added cavan this morning South East of cavan got couple of centimeters, edit started to snow again 👀

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

DOCARCH wrote: »
    No sign of any overnight snow in south Dublin (Dublin 16).

Must’ve been super localised, it’s not much but I managed a dusting that stuck to the roofs and to the ground too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭Pentecost

A nice covering of snow made it as far as north Longford overnight.

Snowing again in Longford town now. Not too heavy but nice to look out at, garden is nice and white

TTLF wrote: »
    Must’ve been super localised, it’s not much but I managed a dusting that stuck to the roofs and to the ground too...

That here too....roofs have a good dusting.

There has been light snow/graupel showers here in Dublin 16 since I posted that.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭King of Spades

About an inch of snow here in central Meath and sky looks full of snow. Sounds like Thursday will bring a much more significant fall. Very happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Nothing much here in Southwest Dublin Firhouse Dublin 24......
    A few flakes dancing around in the breeze and a little reduction in cover since last night.
    I'm confident of a few more streamers later on though.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Light graupel shower. Coolearagh, Kildare

The event is Wednesday night to Friday morning.

I'm talking about shower activity here, not the frontal system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Just out for a walk. Bitterly cold and threatening to snow but I'm hopeful it wont.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

A wild blustery graupel shower in Louth at the minute,doesn't look like we got too much during the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭pauldry

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Just out for a walk. Bitterly cold and threatening to snow but I'm hopeful it wont.

Ehm.....youre not allowed say that here :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Artane2002

heavy snow/graupel shower in Dublin 5

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement