Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,478 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭the2hurdys

Some graupel finally made its way to South Tipp!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

A light dusting in co limerick, suprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Supercell wrote: »

Unless they dont know the area there is no excuse for that, I know which roads to avoid around here in certain weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

giphy.gif

In fairness I was pronouncing it grawp-el for a long time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Still sprinkling away here in North Kildare.
    The ladies may come into the shed
    50925325862_4c0dbe8237.jpg20210209_085744 by Kevin Hogan, on Flickr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

giphy.gif

I didn't think I was saying like grapple I may listen back, I usually try lean on the U but apps and compression on radio maybe don't bring it across well.

Anyway I'm just glad everyone knows what it is now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭circadian

Supercell wrote: »

Some serious eejits there. First one had a good rolling start and should have just eased off the brakes and they've have had a shot at it, the junction at the bottom is a roulette but they'd have made it that far at least.

The Tesla, well, that was just silly. No momentum whatsoever, looked like it locked up immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭flas

Longford town this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Consistent moderate graupel snow mix in D5 this morning. Dusting on the ground

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Graupel shower now in Waterford City, Temp 1.6c DP -0.5c.

Stream for the events

https://youtu.be/FKTQjSr1hxM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,901 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Hearing all about graupel on today fm....

New to me

You don't come here very often, do you?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

There was a light flurry blowing on the wind near Laghey, south Donegal earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,929 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

View out my back this morning

[IMG][/img]50925228536_5a0e8255f4_z.jpgSnow 9th Feb by S, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

What county Niman?

circadian wrote: »
    Some serious eejits there. First one had a good rolling start and should have just eased off the brakes and they've have had a shot at it, the junction at the bottom is a roulette but they'd have made it that far at least.

The Tesla, well, that was just silly. No momentum whatsoever, looked like it locked up immediately.

You would think Scottish people would be used to driving in those conditions!

I think the Tesla driver probably thought he was invincible because, Tesla. Bet neither of them had winter tyres on. I certainly wouldn't have been out in that weather, the commentary on the Tesla one made me laugh though.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

NIMAN wrote: »
    View out my back this morning

[IMG][/img]50925228536_5a0e8255f4_z.jpgSnow 9th Feb by S, on Flickr

What a view, lovely even without the snow too.

Unusual that Donegal hasn't been added to the yellow warning.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

On the other side of the water, very cold in Scotland. -16c atm at Altnaharra. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,929 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    What county Niman?

North Donegal.

Been heavy hailstoning a lot during the night, as opposed to snowing.

I listened to the forecast last night and no mention of Donegal at all in any snow. Monaghan was furthest north county mentioned for issues overnight, how come it got so far North? Having said that, speaking to Derry folk this morning, they have none and they are south of me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭highdef

View out my office window in North Kildare a short while ago. The roads looks fairly treacherous. Ignore the lack of snow on the nearest car to the camera. It has a cabin heater that comes on every morning so it would have melted all the snow on the windows, unlike the white car.

Looking at the radar, it looks like it has been snowing all night. In the past hour it has been mainly moderate dry blowing snow with a few short intervals of lighter stuff and if Met Eireann radar is correct, I appear to have been very close to the Wales shadow all night but just about out of it. I'm due west of just south of Irelands Eye and just north of Howth Head. Temperature is -0.3°

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

OK. Straight to the point. Have the prospects of the cold reloading next week gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Zogabomb

:o
    OK. Straight to the point. Have the prospects of the cold reloading next week gone?

Latest model runs bring the milder air in quicker but not a guarantee. Take a look at the Met Eireann update and MTs latest post . Nothing guaranteed.

I'll answer the question from last week first
    The cold is here and significant snow is coming
    It won't go on forever

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

giphy.gif

I hope I am partialy to blame for asking Danno about the different types of snow yesterday!
    Thank goodness its not snizzle they are trying to explain :D
    Anyhow my eyes were not deceiving me yesterday here were we are not meant to be getting any type of snow ....and it is not the neighbours messing with styrofoam.. white tiny wisps flowing lightly in the air on a very lite breeze...but not reaching the ground... And nothing on the mountaintops overnight.
    Any chance it could be that sahara dust!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭KingJeremy

Very surprised to see tiny grainy flakes falling this morning in east county Galway/Tipp border. It only lasted a few minutes but I wasn’t expecting it. Sun is out again and it is bitterly cold. And the main thing - it’s dry!!!

Current model runs don't paint a pretty picture for cold next week. Was a big flip overnight. More runs needed to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

DOCARCH wrote: »
    On the other side of the water, very cold in Scotland. -16c atm at Altnaharra. :cool:

Never heard of it. What altitude is that at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

-0.5C in North kerry this morning at 8 am. A slight smattering (a technical term) of snow at 176m asl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭d51984

Jesus folks its bitter out there. Im stocked up, couple of bails of Bord Na Monas finest and a tray of Heino in the fridge.

Hope it F**king belts down! 😂😂

Its a disgrace Joe!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement