Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Looking like this journey is nearing an end. Streamers have been a disappointment.
    Not really bothered about a snow to rain . if I'm honest. On a positive note I might actually get some work done .
    Now if this afternoons models show a massive upgrade. Then I probably won't :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

pauldry wrote: »
    Also "slightly" milder air ALREADY in the Southwest.

After Thursday it could be game over

I'm still waiting for the game to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Ah here. This is getting silly now. Thursday's epic 24 hours of continuous snow with 10 to 20 cm has now become a miserable 5cm affair quickly followed by rain.

To see a video of my two grandchildren in Dublin outside in the garden with their fingers frozen off them trying to scrape enough graupel or whatever it is together to make a miserable snowball is heartbreaking. Their wee faces trying to hide their disappointment.

Right, its time for me to get on with more productive things in my day rather than refreshing this forum where some folk will keep flogging this horse to death. Time we all accepted that it's game over. Nice to have some dry cold weather so I guess it's not all doom and gloom.

Hope some of you see some snow on Thursday but gut instinct tells me it will be another squib.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Its a big downgrade from significant snowfall. Snow quickly turning to rain on Thursday night is crap too. I am blaming JS for this!
    No surprise, most weather outlets have been downgrading this since yesterday, most of Dublin won't even see snow on Thursday, just rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Ah here. This is getting silly now. Thursday's epic 24 hours of continuous snow with 10 to 20 cm has now become a miserable 5cm affair quickly followed by rain.

To see a video of my two grandchildren in Dublin outside in the garden with their fingers frozen off them trying to scrape enough graupel or whatever it is together to make a miserable snowball is heartbreaking. Their wee faces trying to hide their disappointment.

Right, its time for me to get on with more productive things in my day rather than refreshing this forum where some folk will keep flogging this horse to death. Time we all accepted that it's game over. Nice to have some dry cold weather so I guess it's not all doom and gloom.

Hope some of you see some snow on Thursday but gut instinct tells me it will be another squib.

:pac: 10/10 for effort

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Is there any way to ignore posters on the touch site?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Just throw the easterly out and send a potent northerly down.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭BrandonBay86

Rodin wrote: »
    5cm is not worth warning about.
    Much Ado about nothing. But if anyone really surprised. The whole country over-reacts on a regular basis.

Far too many weather alerts. When I was younger it was much worse but we just got on with it.

You must be fairly knocking on now. & 2cm is enough to cause absolute havoc on roads let alone 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

When upper level winds switch back E or ENE later today there will be better scope for bigger showers in to the Dublin area. I'd be quite confident for this afternoon and overnight of some proper settling snow here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭esposito

Looking like this journey is nearing an end. Streamers have been a disappointment.
    Not really bothered about a snow to rain . if I'm honest. On a positive note I might actually get some work done .
    Now if this afternoons models show a massive upgrade. Then I probably won't :)

Hate snow to rain events. Pointless and leaves a mess afterwards. Water everywhere.

Hopefully we see some up upgrades even for the medium term. A cold reload would be amazing, might even bring proper steamers in late Feb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Artane2002 wrote: »
    5cm is not to be sniffed at in Ireland and also, people need to be extra careful these days for obvious reasons.

If I can see the grass it's not 5cm.
    5cm is nothing really and if a person can't handle driving in that, they've no place being on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭BrandonBay86

Posters saying “much ado about nothing” “damp squib” choosing to ignore the complete blanket of snow in my garden.

You must be fairly knocking on now. & 2cm is enough to cause absolute havoc on roads let alone 5.

Not at all. Regularly had large snow falls in the 80s when I was a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

It’s snowing in Dublin now
    Loughc wrote: »
    No surprise, most weather outlets have been downgrading this since yesterday, most of Dublin won't even see snow on Thursday, just rain.

Posters saying “much ado about nothing” “damp squib” choosing to ignore the complete blanket of snow in my garden.

Photo with measuring stick...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

I'm throwing my toys out the pram, it's a bust. We may get transitional snow on Thursday for an hour or two then rain. We got that a couple of weeks ago. Not worth looking out the window at it. It's no one's fault that's where we live. Onto the next event, if there is one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,661 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

A teaser winter as you said before.

I very well knew looking at the data that we wouldn't get much out of this period. There was no frosty spell prior as is usually the case before cold spells take off, we came straight from rain and gloom to further chilly damp conditions. The upper level had a strong cap on convection and the airmass was not very unstable. I was really happy with 24 January but with all the build up and anticipation for this easterly, I managed to get very disappointed.

2021-21 what a tease indeed. Lots of blocking, several northerly and easterly incursions but with returning polar maritime fed into them and severe cold never quite making it to us. Despite it being a more 'seasonable' winter than some of late, it's definitely not up there with my favourites. Our bad luck has to run out sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bosco12345

Nice covering of the sneachta in Virginia Cavan. Substantially better than the 2 dustings in January. About 3 to 4cm, hopefully it gets topped up again today

• Registered Users Posts: 22 cold.stream

Not much change here, a few more flurries this morning (S. Co Dublin Coast). Instability still well and truly capped and looking like it will stay that way. Flow should turn more ENE this evening/tomorrow. Looking at the latest models I think the only chance for me to see some lying snow is late on Thursday/early Friday and even with a strong SE wind I think there should be some modest coastal accumulations (if front doesn't break up) that will quickly thaw Friday into Saturday. Pity as it was shaping up to be a very interesting weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

if I wrote what ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Rodin wrote: »
    Photo with measuring stick...

Bit forward buddy , not Tinder here :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It's rubbish. All this waiting for that? MT's 10 to 20cms is far more appealing but maybe a tad optimistic. This is being downgraded by the day.

You should have seen the warning signs for this event to be downgraded when M.T said option B was more likely to occur than option A. I suppose you got your hopes just like the rest of though. Even though we should all no better by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,804 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Sorry but does anyone know how much it snowed in Dublin there 2 weeks ago ?
    was that more or less than 5 cm ?

When upper level winds switch back E or ENE later today there will be better scope for bigger showers in to the Dublin area. I'd be quite confident for this afternoon and overnight of some proper settling snow here.

Met Eireann have removed Dublin from todays warning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

5cm is just a small dusting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Quite wet surfaces here, so reasonable amount of precipitation has fallen but just graupel and light snow flake mixtures. There is a dusting on cars and some roofs and very patchy cover on the grass.

My personal guess is between 3am and 12noon tomorrow will bring the best risk of lying snow showers to the Dublin area as the flow moderates a little and goes NE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

We had about 5-6cms of snow last night, followed by showers of sleet/gropawl whatever all morning, nothing to get excited about, personally i would prefer a few dry sunny days over this muck, proper snow or nothing at all

Meath

The warning mentions 5cm for some areas. So 5cm is sweet spot total. 1 to 3cm more widely I would say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,901 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

People reacting stupidly to it still doesn't make 5cm of snow "significant". The first heavy rain after a dry spell is enough to cause havoc on the roads in this country.

Not gonna lie, folks, I'm so disappointed. Have been trying to manage my expectations throughout, especially as this has been getting pushed out/downgraded consistently since last week, but I still allowed myself to get my hopes up.

Would love to be one of the "2cm/5cm/any amount is better than nothing" brigade, but I'm not. I absolutely LOVE snow but I'd rather none at all than a tiny bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,804 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

So are we getting snow in Dublin on Thursday or no

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement