Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Just throw the easterly out and send a potent northerly down.

We had two outbreaks from the N/NW this winter and both were pretty much a bust too! Sure neither were your classic potent northerly you're referring but nor has the two easterly spells either. You've probably fared the worst on the whole island in terms of falling snow besides your local hill. Very unlucky all winter.

It's just been a winter where nothing went right at times despite promise.

Rescued by a couple of fronts being defeated by cold air overhead which delivered coverings for many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Met Eireann have removed Dublin from todays warning.

Warnings will be updated later on in afternoon. High probability of a covering this evening and overnight in Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I very well knew looking at the data that we wouldn't get much out of this period. There was no frosty spell prior as is usually the case before cold spells take off, we came straight from rain and gloom to further chilly damp conditions. The upper level had a strong cap on convection and the airmass was not very unstable. I was really happy with 24 January but with all the build up and anticipation for this easterly, I managed to get very disappointed.

2021-21 what a tease indeed. Lots of blocking, several northerly and easterly incursions but with returning polar maritime fed into them and severe cold never quite making it to us. Despite it being a more 'seasonable' winter than some of late, it's definitely not up there with my favourites. Our bad luck has to run out sometime.

It will run out in March, probably, when we finally get a potent cold blast after having chased one all winter!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

John.Icy wrote: »
    We had two outbreaks from the N/NW this winter and both were pretty much a bust too! Sure neither were your classic potent northerly you're referring but nor has the two easterly spells either. You've probably fared the worst on the whole island in terms of falling snow besides your local hill. Very unlucky all winter.

It's just been a winter where nothing went right at times despite promise.

Rescued by a couple of fronts being defeated by cold air overhead which delivered coverings for many.

They weren't potent by any means but some areas still managed to have 4/5 days of snow laying out of it. Letterkenny, Ballybofey, Castlederg for example did a couple of weeks ago. Not a bust for those areas.

Meanwhile here in Glasnevin showers of snow grains on and off and moderate at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

I think there is time for a twist or two re: snow potential later this week but...

It is very 20/21 winter so far to have 1982 similarities dangled before our eyes or even the prospect of 24-36 hours of snow last night only for the next morning to the talk being dramatically less! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭cjyid

So are we getting snow in Dublin on Thursday or no

Possibly yes but possibly no...

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭CirrusBusiness

Still see some areas getting 10cm + from this. Wouldn't be too concerned by the latest advisory. Time for changes still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,202 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Not much mention of Snow in the latest Dublin Airport TAF. chance of light snow showers in the next 24 hours. Otherwise cloudy and windy

TAF EIDW 091100Z 0912/1012 09018KT 9999 FEW010 BKN030 TEMPO 0912/1006 07020G30KT
    PROB40 TEMPO 0912/1012 4000 -SHSN BKN014

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

It’s snowing in Dublin now

I did say most of Dublin won't see snow not all of it.

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Met Eireann have removed Dublin from todays warning.

Yeah I seen that indicitive of what's to come or not come.

I reckon it won't see Snow, no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Been absolutely pelting with snow since about 9 on top of what fell overnight.

Dropped some supplies to a neighbour further up the hill and it was tough going.

Carlow, Mt Leinster hills.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I very well knew looking at the data that we wouldn't get much out of this period. There was no frosty spell prior as is usually the case before cold spells take off, we came straight from rain and gloom to further chilly damp conditions. The upper level had a strong cap on convection and the airmass was not very unstable. I was really happy with 24 January but with all the build up and anticipation for this easterly, I managed to get very disappointed.

2021-21 what a tease indeed. Lots of blocking, several northerly and easterly incursions but with returning polar maritime fed into them and severe cold never quite making it to us. Despite it being a more 'seasonable' winter than some of late, it's definitely not up there with my favourites. Our bad luck has to run out sometime.

Sryan knows his stuff, he knows more about weather than I could ever learn, his posts are always balanced and spot on, this is again spot on and sums up the general feeling of this "event"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

YanSno wrote: »
    Warnings will be updated later on in afternoon. High probability of a covering this evening and overnight in Dublin

They updated it this morning and had Dublin in it. Updated it an hour later and removed Dublin. Hopefully they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Deagol

Picture from a friend of this morning in Falkirk, Scotland. Just to tease those desperate for some snow here :P

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭noplacehere

I'm not sure whether it was my location growing up but honestly we almost never got snow on the ground. I think I remember it happening my three times as a child.

Now as an adult I'm more than happy with this snow event for north Kildare. Any event where I get to watch it falling and settling is fine in my book. My son on the other hand is spoiled rotten from 2018 and is disappointed every time snow doesn't reach those levels here!! I keep telling him I had never seen that amount but he's having none of it lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

John.Icy wrote: »
    It is very 20/21 winter so far to have 1982 similarities dangled before our eyes or even the prospect of 24-36 hours of snow last night only for the next morning to the talk being dramatically less! :D

Sums up the winter really :pac: Michelle Dillon on Claire Byrne last night.. the GFS run.. MT mentioning 1982.. then we wake up to a 5cm warning from Met Eireann.

Strange the way they said warnings wouldn't be until Wednesday morning and then they put it up today. I'm still hopeful for Thursday here in Wexford of about 10cm+ but would like to see a few upgrades by end of day, either from Met Eireann or the models.

These "streamers" are useless though apart from a few lucky places on higher ground and wouldn't expect anything of note from them from now on.

Sums up the winter really :pac: Michelle Dillon on Claire Byrne last night.. the GFS run.. MT mentioning 1982.. then we wake up to a 5cm warning from Met Eireann.

Strange the way they said warnings wouldn't be until Wednesday morning and then they put it up today. I'm still hopeful for Thursday here in Wexford of about 10cm+ but would like to see a few upgrades by end of day, either from Met Eireann or the models.

These "streamers" are useless though apart from a few lucky places on higher ground and wouldn't expect anything of note from them from now on.

I told you guys last night models were over cooking it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,450 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It’s snowing in Dublin now

Hasn't snowed where I am, just that dusty stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Wondering when the temperature is going to rise ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭lucalux

Snow and more occasionally, a snow/graupel mix falling steadily in south Roscommon since before 10am.

Brightened off a little for a while, while staying snowing, but back under the dark snow clouds again.
    Light winds, some heavier showers coming in the last few minutes.

No real accumulations on the ground outside apart from tarmac/car, but just enough to give the place a wintry look across the fields nearby :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Graces7 wrote: »
    Wondering when the temperature is going to rise ?

It has been hammering down graupel and snow most of the morning in Dublin 15..a couple of cm in the garden... It is 1 degree though so melting a little..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

So is the substantial frontal snow for Thursday/Friday a total write off or is there still a chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 johnny45

Mimon wrote: »
    So is the substantial frontal snow for Thursday/Friday a total write off or is there still a chance?

A write-off at this stage but we live in hope.
    Can change quickly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Snowing North Cork atm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Hopes dashed for Cork City :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Mimon wrote: »

There are some differences between the models. We may see resolved to a greater extent this evening. There will be snow overnight Thursday/Friday particularly midlands, southeast and east. That's pretty much nailed.

Just a question of nailing down intensity and amounts at this stage.

It's not clear even now whether there is further snowfall possible in to the weekend.

Watch this space!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

It...is...up...in...the...air....at....the...moment....
    somewhere

That is the sum total of my technical weather knowlege :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The boffins in the technical discussion thread seem to have thrown in the towel

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

This easterly is a bust. A dusting here in Meath but it is melting already. I don't see this easterly getting any better since last night and today is the 'main event'.

Just looked at this mornings models and they are very different from the past few days, it's basically game over for a weekend of widespread and heavy snow. We may get some marginal wet snow on Thursday into Friday but the weekend is back to fairly mild. Not sure the models can flip back at this stage to what they were showing yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

I crashed and burned a few days ago with GL's expertise indicating a cap on intensity of the streamers combined with the forecast wind directions Sun Night-Wednesday, meaning it was likely there would not be much if any accumulations in the East and especially not in the Southern half of the East Coast. This has come to pass as we all know.

So ironically despite todays output, and given I'd already de-hyped myself and reconciled myself to this event mostly being a bust, I can now mentally look on the bright-side. Depending on the timing of the Thursday event, if we even get 10cm and we can get one day out of it going for a walk, taking some nice photo's, building snowmen or having a few snowball fights etc well we aren't going to get bored of it, spend the rest of the week struggling to get around without slipping and breaking our necks or sliding the car etc ie. We'll have our one day of fun and then it will be washed away quickly with minimum disruption to the country.

That said, the final kick in the balls could be that most of the snow falls in the hours of Darkness on Thursday night when not many can enjoy it and if you can't get out in it before noon on Friday it's too late.

So my question is, is this event winding up that right boot for one more kick in the balls?? :D:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement