Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

"Slashermcguirk A further update at 3pm on Met Éireann website and they are still going with snow until potentially Saturday for the east and north. They seem really set on that now as that’s the third update having presumably seen the most recent models. Mentions of consistent additional accumulations"

This is what I meant with my post before bed last, and again 5 minutes ago. This event is not over, there will still be slight nudges east/west up/down drier/snow/less snow.

For the sake of everyone's sanity stop the bickering or witch hunt she said/he said etc etc
    Watch the weather play out and remember to laugh a little if things don't go your way. Don't be a sour grape :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,568 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Very light snow in Galway. Nice to see.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Supercell wrote: »
    If we could just silently nuke Anglesey and the Isle of Man into the Irish Sea there would be alot more happiness around here I feel overall.
    I'll get on the phone to MM now and see if he can sort it for us.

Dunno. I had lots of showers here but nothing much stuck and all melted. Including on top of cars. Which is unusual. Tends to last there. All grass stayed green.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Not much mention of Snow in the latest Dublin Airport TAF. chance of light snow showers in the next 24 hours. Otherwise cloudy and windy

TAF EIDW 091100Z 0912/1012 09018KT 9999 FEW010 BKN030 TEMPO 0912/1006 07020G30KT
    PROB40 TEMPO 0912/1012 4000 -SHSN BKN014
    Dublin airport has reported light snow showers for the past 14 hours. Stop trolling, no there isn't any significant snow at the moment apart from a patchy covering inland but stop the nonsense.

How is it trolling when all I asked is where is it snowing in Dublin?

No snow where I am in North Dublin, and no snow reported at Dublin Airport either from the post above.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

Tuam bypass now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Can anybody explain the snow melt today, or rather the relatively high temps at the surface. Are the uppers not -10?

If we saw this exact chart a week ago wouldnt we expect near zero temps and snow? Or did the real cool uppers not materialise?

Ideally we needed a few frosty days before hand to lower the ground temperatures. The thickness level not being all that great didn't help with overriding this problem either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Almost 2cm of snow measured here earlier, but melting now and turning into that usual patchy horror mess. Quality of this snow is no better, in fact, I argue its worse, than snow from most standard cold westerlies.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Can anybody explain the snow melt today, or rather the relatively high temps at the surface. Are the uppers not -10?

If we saw this exact chart a week ago wouldnt we expect near zero temps and snow? Or did the real cool uppers not materialise?

Unlike in an event, say 2018 as a comparison, regardless of uppers currently, we had a very sunny, decent spell of colder weather leading up to the event, with blue skies, sharp night frosts etc. This significantly cooled the ground temperatures and let any snow that fell stick immediately.

Also with this event, as GL said, precipitation has been capped in the 650-700 (area?) not too sure what it exactly meant, but essentially unlike before in 2018 there isn't much instability in the upper air to cause convection, hence causing lighter showers and more graupel.

If this event were real, I would've been plastered under probably 15+cm right now if it was real heavy snow, alas it has all fallen as Graupel....

Hope that helped! :)

Very light snow in Galway. Nice to see.

There has been light snow here on and off since last night. I think was the Icon that showed precipitation making it this far a couple of days ago,

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Almost 2cm of snow measured here earlier, but melting now and turning into that usual patchy horror mess. Quality of this snow is no better, in fact, I argue its worse, than snow from most standard cold westerlies.

I had a nice sprinkling this morning, but you'd never know it looking outside now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Loughc wrote: »

No snow where I am in North Dublin, and now snow reported at Dublin Airport either from the post above.

eidw.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

wind direction has switched to NNE according to ME

should hopefully put Dublin in the frame for a few more showers in the coming hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

johnny45 wrote: »
    I was called a troll on here yesterday for saying that it would be sleet and rain for the week.
    I was right.

You may well be right or you may well be wrong as until the end of the week you can't know for sure.
    What I don't get is why people are bothered about responses to their posts. My opinion is my opinion and I couldn't give a rats arse what people think about it. What I mean is if you think it will rain and sleet all week you are totally entitled to say so, if you think it will be Snowmegeddon 4 : Revenge of the 2010 Monster....great, you are totally entitled to say so. It honestly does not matter if someone agrees with you or not...it's just your opinion and you are entitled to it ...its as simple as that (in my opinion)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

The Irish sea will come alive again in the evening and shower activity will pep up. More moisture now coming off England into the Irish sea now from leftover showers in the UK which should pep up as they cross the Sea towards the east coast. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Clouds look loaded, actually something falling in the distance but the radar is clear near Athenry.

I had a nice sprinkling this morning, but you'd never know it looking outside now.

We got a fair covering - more than I was expecting in fact, but I'd rather not have this than have it at all. Just when the place was drying out nicely to.

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,568 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Nice to see so much pink on the radar.
    Lot of rain off Cornwall and Channel Islands.

https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,218 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Loughc wrote: »

No snow where I am in North Dublin, and no snow reported at Dublin Airport either from the post above.

Post above is not a weather report but rather a weather forecast, of possible snow showers for Dublin airport.

METAR gives weather reports, and up to 2pm today was almost constantly reporting light showers of snow or graupel.

But easterlies are much better than westerlies.
    *in joke before people get upset.

Dandruff floating around in Athenry now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,333 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Moderate snow grain shower, D15

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Dandruff floating around in Athenry now.

Have you tried head and shoulders? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A few flakes falling in Castlebar.

We got a fair covering - more than I was expecting in fact, but I'd rather not have this than have it at all. Just when the place was drying out nicely to.

Well you should sleep through all of this weekend in that case:p

But easterlies are much better than westerlies.
    *in joke before people get upset.
    For such cold uppers, this is really low grade stuff.

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,627 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Snow blowing in the wind here in Carrick on Shannon, 1c feels like - 5, I see met eireann have issued a yellow nationwide warning hopefully I get some in Carrick on Shannon hoping the mild/cold air clashes further south

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Chalkitdown147

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Post above is not a weather report but rather a weather forecast, of possible snow showers for Dublin airport.

METAR gives weather reports, and up to 2pm today was almost constantly reporting light showers of snow or graupel.

Live in D15 not too far from airport and we've had on and off small showers most the day, nothing wild but still productive.

Well you should sleep through all of this weekend in that case:p

"I try to fall awake but I still sleep..."

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

For such cold uppers, this is really low grade stuff.

The cold and snow I had one night from a north-westerly in January 2018, only 18km away from Blanchardstown, wiped the floor with everything this easterly has delivered so far in terms of snowfall, quality of snow, temperature and an actual air frost.

• Advertisement

Live in D15 not too far from airport and we've had on and off small showers most the day, nothing wild but still productive.

I live in D13 close to the airport too and not a single flake, mad isn't it. Windy, cold and bright is how I'd describe the weather here today.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement