Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    For such cold uppers, this is really low grade stuff.

Careful the pitch forks will be out :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Roads are dangerous in Tuam and parts of County Galway following Snow fall

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

A further update at 3pm on Met Éireann website and they are still going with snow until potentially Saturday for the east and north. They seem really set on that now as that’s the third update having presumably seen the most recent models. Mentions of consistent additional accumulations

I'm open to correction but in my experience usually the first update of the day sets out a new forecast for the next 36 hours or so and then, in another section under the heading "Outlook", a new forecast for the following 4 days or so. However when they issue further updates during the day, in my experience only the first bit changes - i.e. the Outlook is not updated. Thus when you say that's three updates in a row going with snow until Sunday in parts, that may just be three reiterations in a row of the Outlook published this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

sean555 wrote: »
    Tuam bypass now.

You'd have gotten long odds on Galway posting the best snow pic of the Tuesday of this spell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

For such cold uppers, this is really low grade stuff.

Don't look at me....
    It's your own fault mr easterly you brought this on yourself for not having 510 dam thickness and - 15 uppers with you. If you don't want to be disparaged by Oneiric 3, who loves deep easterlies, get your act together next time you visit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Gonzo wrote: »
    The cold and snow I had one night from a north-westerly in January 2018, only 18km away from Blanchardstown, wiped the floor with everything this easterly has delivered so far in terms of snowfall, quality of snow, temperature and an actual air frost.

We had clear skies here last night, and well over a hundred miles from any onshore breeze, and still, we could barely scrape a below zero temp.

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I'm open to correction but in my experience usually the first update of the day sets out a new forecast for the next 36 hours or so and then, in another section under the heading "Outlook", a new forecast for the following 4 days or so. However when they issue further updates during the day, in my experience only the first bit changes - i.e. the Outlook is not updated. Thus when you say that's three updates in a row going with snow until Sunday in parts, that may just be three reiterations in a row of the Outlook published this morning.

That's how I've interpreted it too. The today, tonight, tomorrow ME forecast can get updated several times a day but the outlook beyond tomorrow stays the same per first provided forecast of the morning.

Loughc wrote: »
    Careful the pitch forks will be out :P

I'd say the same if this was from the north or west. As easterlies go, and I do love them, this is a very, very poor offering.

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭tomcosgrave

Loughc wrote: »
    I live in D13 close to the airport too and not a single flake, mad isn't it. Windy, cold and bright is how I'd describe the weather here today.

Seems very clear from a number of D.13 heads including myself that Dublin 13 is marginal for this event. All I have seen is graupel since the event started.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Lovely flakes here. I luv flakes :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭tomcosgrave

I think there's a better chance of seeing chocolate ones in D.13 at this stage! :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Kermit's current view....

1500x1500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

They seem to have updated the content though in that summary each time which suggests they are updating it as they go. I would think when there is potential for disruption they need to make sure it’s as accurate as possible. I could see why if this was just relating to normal spring or summer weather they might just leave it until the following day but no doubt a lot of eyes are on their forecasts this week with Met Éireann in the media constantly due to the talk of big snow. That outlook text has definitely changed over the course of the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

9 bars! Where do they sell those, usually an overpriced 4 pack!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Regarding why it's not colder when the 850-hPa level is so cold: wind, cloud and warmer mid-levels.

The strong easterly wind has brought warmer marine air inland and its turbulence has also prevented a cold surface layer from forming during the night.
    The almost overcast cloud cover also meant that this surface cooling wouldn't have occurred anyway.
    The warm inversion from around 700-600 hPa also radiated some heat back to earth compared to if that level had been its typical 10-15 degrees colder.

Add to that the much warmer soil temperatures we still have since last week's mild weather and everything together means we don't get those low temperatures.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Decent enough light snow shower in Dublin 16 now sugar coating surfaces. 1.5c atm.

Looks like very subtle Irish Sea wind shift should bring south Dublin more in to play for showers this evening (albeit light ones).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭compsys

I'd say the same if this was from the north or west. As easterlies go, and I do love them, this is a very, very poor offering.

You've said this - around 20 times at this stage.

We know it's been a crap easterly but that's how things go in Ireland usually.

It would be great if we could have a bit more focus on weather, charts, outlooks, people's photos... even an educational update from some of the more informed posters as to what went wrong etc.

Gaoth Laidir's short update above was really handy.

But listening to the same people complain again and again about the same stuff - I really wish there was a mute button.

And that's not to say people can't express disappointment or be allowed say they think snow isn't on the way. Or to be allowed disagree with the consensus.

In fact some of the more 'negative' posters got this forecast spot on. So well done.

But there's no need for people to keep repeating the same thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭baldbear

So there's going to be little snow for Dublin?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

baldbear wrote: »

There will be little snow for Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Currently no warning for Dublin from Met E for tonight anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 cold.stream

No change really, light graupel showers feeding in from the ENE and lasting for 30 seconds or so. Only decent showers on the island at this time seem to be forming around the Isle of Man and feeding into Eastern N. Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Dublin should get pretty good snow on Thursday and Friday. Hard to say how much but certainly looks in the firing line

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Overcast and breezy here in Waterford City with the earlier graupel showers cleared. Temp 2.3c DP -2.3c. Very frustrating indeed to see these graupels and not proper snow flakes. The Irish Sea has been very poor with producing anything in the way of convection.
    Hopefully Thursday can deliver and make this spell memorable for all the right reasons. Of that happening i remain confident of an event of sorts.

https://www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Chalkitdown147

Have to say, I really can't believe how crazy people are becoming because of the lack of the white gold, it's actually comical at this stage!! 2018 was so much fun in the lead up, yes the snow isn't on a par (it never ever was forecast to be) but it's an unusual weather event that most of us in here are interested in. Sorry rant over, just giving me a headache with all the constant moaning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Yea looks like we are going to get away with it. Might be just some more gruapal but nothing too bad thank goodness...still bitterly cold

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Tonight looks set to be colder than last night. -5, perhaps -6 a possibility.

compsys wrote: »
    You've said this - around 20 times at this stage.

We know it's been a crap easterly but that's how things go in Ireland usually.

It would be great if we could have a bit more focus on weather, charts, outlooks, people's photos... even an educational update from some of the more informed posters as to what went wrong etc.

Gaoth Laidir's short update above was really handy.

But listening to the same people complain again and again about the same stuff - I really wish there was a mute button.

And that's not to say people can't express disappointment or be allowed say they think snow isn't on the way. Or to be allowed disagree with the consensus.

In fact some of the more 'negative' posters got this forecast spot on. So well done.

But there's no need for people to keep repeating the same thing.

This is a chat thread. There are other threads that focus in on charts and technical stuff. In fact, I post the odd one myself on them.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bosco12345

Still a decent covering of snow about in Virginia with little thaw during the day. Fields are white and theres still a blanket of snow on my car. Nice to see ðŸ˜

We had clear skies here last night, and still the temperature barely fell. And while there was a breeze, I've seen lower temps with stronger winds.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Chalkitdown147

We had clear skies here last night, and still the temperature barely fell. And while there was a breeze, I've seen lower temps with stronger winds.

Where you based Oneiric??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement