Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

It's just not cold enough nor does it look like getting cold enough tbh. Thursday and Friday will be wet, windy and generally horrible and that's about the height of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

It's just not cold enough nor does it look like getting cold enough tbh. Thursday and Friday will be wet, windy and generally horrible and that's about the height of it.
    What's tonight's lottery numbers?

Thanks

gerrybhoy wrote: »
    What's tonight's lottery numbers?

Thanks

? If he told you that he would have to share.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭dm09

Pesky IOM Shadow in action :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Icon forecast out to noon tomorrow. Snow showers to continue along coastal regions exposed to the east wind.

E5F9QKW.gif

This model keeps them going well beyond that time frame as well.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,901 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Dry since this morning in D6W so I went out for a run there. Light graupel shower started just as I was leaving the house. With the wind and cold factored in I essentially got a bonus free session of microdermabrasion along with my exercise.

Me face!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Refreshing wind, nice dry day. Was out walking in my t shirt earlier. Bit nippy at first but once the blood gets moving perfect. I'm not really looking forward to a messy few hours of slush on Thursday, I've made my peace with it. We look forward.

Look forward to what Humberto? More fantastic day 10 charts?:D

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Icon forecast out to noon tomorrow. Snow showers to continue along coastal regions exposed to the east wind.

E5F9QKW.gif

Well this model was spot on about the streamers reaching the west last night. It looks like the change in wind direction will mean we stay dry from now until the early hours of Thursday. I hope posters in the east get pasted overnight with these showers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,627 ✭✭✭Dazler97

E5F9QKW.gif

Well as long as I get some snow I don't care, we need an ENE for showers reaching me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Where Dublin is concerned, Irish sea looking a bit bare - a new snow train developing alright but heading up towards Lusk/Balbriggan again. Change to ENE showing no benefit as of yet for us M50 dwellers.

Four streams of activity over the country at present, each getting progressively weaker and more disorganised as you go from North to South.

Looks like Limavady could get a dusting soon!

EDIT: Obligatory it's still early into the evening disclaimer ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Fics

John.Icy wrote: »
    Where Dublin is concerned, Irish sea looking a bit bare - a new snow train developing alright but heading up towards Lusk/Balbriggan again. Change to ENE showing no benefit as of yet for us M50 dwellers.

Four streams of activity over the country at present, each getting progressively weaker and more disorganised as you go from North to South.

Looks like Limavady could get a dusting soon!

All cards for Thursday so!

I hope posters in the east get pasted overnight with these showers.

So do I Nacho, they deserve it, but I'm done with this winter.

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Shower train in Irish Sea intensifying heading towards maybe north Dublin coast.
    Had another moderate grap shower. I’ve actually lost count on how many I saw today now.

2.0c
    Dp -2c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Look forward to what Humberto? More fantastic day 10 charts?:D

Spring warmth :D

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Shows light precip over Dublin from maybe midnight to 3am

I wish there was an emoji on boards to represent "pain" but i'll just make my own with two separate emoji's instead.

:o:(

Hopefully all changes and I'm surprised.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Was just thinking how little time i watched the news and checked Twitter since the prospect of the cold spell started showing on the models. No matter what happens between now and the time it ends,wasn't it some light relief away from the pandemic and lockdowns. Even a failed Easterly brings about some sort of normality to the mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,627 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Ahh here I only copped that I'm not in that warning and yet cavan is :(, in all fairness they should have added cavan yesterday I mean parts this morning had 3cm

Best snowfall, such as it was, for me this winter was at the start of December. A brief but fluffy shower that instantly stuck and gave that nice 'Dickensian' look to the place for a brief while.

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭piplip87

Looking at the radar. Theres a streamer to the north and one to the south. I'm in South east Cavan near the Meath Boarder sould it be a shadow of some sort ? IOM maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

piplip87 wrote: »
    Looking at the radar. Theres a streamer to the north and one to the south. I'm in South east Cavan near the Meath Boarder sould it be a shadow of some sort ? IOM maybe

Yes, we'll end up with two distinct shower trains.

All depends on trajectory after that although that will fluctuate from time to time.

Not quite on for north Dublin yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭bazlers

Perhaps Cork could be marginal and South coast in general. But surely inland Munster and South Leinster are on track for several hours of snow. Like in this country showers of snow lasting 20mins cause trouble but in this case we are talking 7 or 8 hours of snow.
    A definite Orange warning minimum for me!!

Re today, very disappointing tbh the lack of proper convection has surprised most of us. It looks like the model ppn charts were quite accurate afterall
    I certainly ramped it well beyond what happened

How heavy are you expecting this PPN

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭esposito

TTLF wrote: »

Although that low could also fizzle more than being projected, it's really a roulette guessing game at this point, all the while still exciting of course! ;)

And bloody exhausting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,661 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Best snowfall, such as it was, for me this winter was at the start of December. A brief but fluffy shower that instantly stuck and gave that nice 'Dickensian' look to the place for a brief while.

Best for me was definitely 24 January, almost like a whiteout early that morning when a cell suddenly developed over the Irish Sea that hit directly over me. The fact I wasn't expecting it made it even better. Miss those innocent days as a kid waking up to a winter wonderland and never looked at the models. It was a callback to those days for me so quite a special day in that regard.

A lot of it didn't last very long as the sun came out and the temperature rose above freezing around midday but just seeing that blue sky overhead snow cover, even on the beach, was breathtaking. Found it much more enjoyable than 2018 too with the lighter wind and that sunshine, reminiscent of the 2010 days.

6 December was the other day I loved from this winter because it's not too often I get to see an inversion lasting all day long especially of late when I've not seen many foggy days.

This easterly hasn't a patch on either of those, best I managed was a dusting on the roofs, not even a cm. Ground too wet and mild, graupel didn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭esposito

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Best for me was definitely 24 January, almost like a whiteout early that morning when a cell suddenly developed over the Irish Sea that hit directly over me. The fact I wasn't expecting it made it even better. Miss those innocent days as a kid waking up to a winter wonderland and never looked at the models. It was a callback to those days for me so quite a special day in that regard.

A lot of it didn't last very long as the sun came out and the temperature rose above freezing around midday but just seeing that blue sky overhead snow cover, even on the beach, was breathtaking. Found it much more enjoyable than 2018 too with the lighter wind and that sunshine, reminiscent of the 2010 days.

6 December was the other day I loved from this winter because it's not too often I get to see an inversion lasting all day long especially of late when I've not seen many foggy days.

This easterly hasn't a patch on either of those, best I managed was a dusting on the roofs, not even a cm. Ground too wet and mild, graupel didn't help.

Very disappointing easterly as many are saying. Not even a centimetre. And it’s predominantly graupel which is frustrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,804 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

So will it snow w enough in Dublin to make a snow man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Was just thinking how little time i watched the news and checked Twitter since the prospect of the cold spell started showing on the models. No matter what happens between now and the time it ends,wasn't it some light relief away from the pandemic and lockdowns. Even a failed Easterly brings about some sort of normality to the mind.
    Respect, :) there maybe a few on this forum that has lost or know someone that has lost someone due to this pandemic, people on here should just learn to take a breath and enjoy what we like to talk about and is weather. :)

OT, another grap shower, colder again at 1.4C

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Siobhan not giving out much details on the forecast after the news. Being very non commital especially with regards Thursday. Band of sleet and snow and that was it.

The best for me was two or three weeks ago. Heavy snow for three hours on a Saturday night, enough to build a snowman and have a snowball fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭brianthomas

Missed the latest forecast on rté, how is Thurs/Fri and weekend looking for Dublin at this stage? Even one day of coverage for the kids (and me of course) would be such a break from the norm.

Clondalkin in Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

The best for me was two or three weeks ago. Heavy snow for three hours on a Saturday night, enough to build a snowman and have a snowball fight.

One of the least snowy winters here to date.
    Never even enough to make a snowball!
    I'm sure there will be some before April but so far it's up there with the mid 2000's winters for "snowlessness"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement