Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

So when is the snow likely to start in Leinster? Monday?

ayjayirl wrote: »
    So when is the snow likely to start in Leinster? Monday?

Possibly Saturday evening
    Probably by Sunday evening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Poor ECM. Was hoping for a stream of LP systems undercutting and sliding south enhancing snow activity. But we get typical storms pushing milder gale force winds at the end of the run. This might be a three day wonder now. Earlier, it looked like a prolonged spell. It can change but we need a lot of luck now. I'm crushed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Poor ECM. Was hoping for a stream of LP systems undercutting and sliding south enhancing snow activity. But we get typical storms pushing milder gale force winds at the end of the run. This might be a three day wonder now. Earlier, it looked like a prolonged spell. It can change but we need a lot of luck now. I'm crushed.

Welcome back Humberto. I hope you found the culprit who hacked your account earlier:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

EC really only has snow showers into Leinster from around 3am Monday through till 1800 Tuesday, then there is the first attempted breakdown into Wednesday bringing some snow to Munster before heavy rain preceded by snow extends north on Thursday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Unfortunately there is a tendency for breakdowns in cold spells to arrive on time or get brought forward. We may be lucky to get a mere 3 days out of this. Also, I doubt I'll see snow in Donegal. But I will still enjoy the cold frosty weather. I wish everyone in the east good luck getting some snow.

Today is the first mind day I've had for about two weeks, big taw on at the moment
    We had about 18cm of snow build up over that period.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

You are referring to weather about 7 days away, that’s very hard to predict in even normal weather. We seem to have the early days locked in which is the main thing now

EC really only has snow showers into Leinster from around 3am Monday through till 1800 Tuesday, then there is the first attempted breakdown into Wednesday bringing some snow to Munster before heavy rain preceded by snow extends north on Thursday

Un thanked :D
    Concerning I suppose as its not a bad little model at 4 days out
    However if incoming Atlantic visitors head southeast, different story
    I don't like adding an if this goes here and that goes there but up against that wall of dense air and form to date,talkng beyond 144hrs is iffy yet (maybe)

AuntySnow wrote: »
    Un thanked :D
    Concerning I suppose as its not a bad little model at 4 days out
    However if incoming Atlantic visitors head southeast, different story
    I don't like adding an if this goes here and that goes there but up against that wall of dense air and form to date,talkng beyond 144hrs is iffy yet (maybe)

In 2018, the 36 hours of streamer snow was much nicer up this way than Storm Emma, even with 36 hours of good lake effect potential one can easily get 10-20cm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Welcome back Humberto. I hope you found the culprit who hacked your account earlier:D

Definitely reset his password and back with us again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

In 2018, the 36 hours of streamer snow was much nicer up this way than Storm Emma, even with 36 hours of good lake effect potential one can easily get 10-20cm.
    30cm is quite possible in that timeframe.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Holy Duck

No need to be looking for a puncture while the tyre is full of air

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭esposito

The one disappointing aspect to Storm Emma is that the snow was like dust. Tiny grains. No thanks. Prefer the bigger flakes

• Registered Users Posts: 23,867 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

esposito wrote: »
    The one disappointing aspect to Storm Emma is that the snow was like dust. Tiny grains. No thanks. Prefer the bigger flakes

Snow grains build up very quickly. Catches a lot of people out because they assume it's rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Ursulal

Brz555 wrote: »
    I remember during the BFTE the streamers made it as far west as Galway city, we got plastered before Emma even hit. Was just constant conveyor from east to west on the radar.

Outside Loughrea 2nd of March 2018

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I remember there were times it almost looked like rain, the flakes were indeed tiny. At the same time dinner plates are great to look at but those are usually from marginal conditions where it can turn back to sleet at any point. December 2010 had lovely flakes, decent size powder flakes.

At the moment this cold spell is looking like a February 2009 to me. Two to three days of streamers. The wind could be slightly variable too so hopefully those dreaded shadows don't stay in the one place for too long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭kegg

Why are you crushed? You may get 3 days of snow while here in mayo looks like nothing. Maybe you aimed too high with your "1947esque" comment a day or 2 ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

My money’s on about 1-2cm of snow in Dublin Monday which will be gone by Tuesday :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭esposito

Gonzo wrote: »
    I remember there were times it almost looked like rain, the flakes were indeed tiny. At the same time dinner plates are great to look at but those are usually from marginal conditions where it can turn back to sleet at any point. December 2010 had lovely flakes, decent size powder flakes.

At the moment this cold spell is looking like a February 2009 to me. Two to three days of streamers. The wind could be slightly variable too so hopefully those dreaded shadows don't stay in the one place for too long.

We did well in Feb 2009 here in Dublin 16 so would take something similar next week.

Am hoping we get a more prolonged spell than 2-3 days but if it does get milder from Thursday next week hopefully it’s only temporarily as per Met Éireann monthly outlook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The 2018 snow was like getting sand blasted it took your breath away in the wind if you didn't have your mouth covered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Holy Duck

My money’s on about 1-2cm of snow in Dublin Monday which will be gone by Tuesday

Bit below the belt there bucko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Can't remember which event but we had the biggest clumps of snow I have ever seen floating down from the sky, huge powdery clumps of dry snow, good for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

My money’s on about 1-2cm of snow in Dublin Monday which will be gone by Tuesday :(

Bit late for tonight's Lotto numbers so any chance of Fridays euromillions numbers ta

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭bazlers

AuntySnow wrote: »
    Possibly Saturday evening
    Probably by Sunday evening

Same time as superbowl right on kick off

There is reasonable support for it to turn less cold from around Wednesday but still a fair few members holding it cold so very uncertain and will likely flip back and forth between now and then.

In meantime seems growing confidence that we get 850s of -8 of below from around Sunday evening to Tuesday night. A snow window depending on how the Irish Sea behaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Is it not almost pointless to forecast beyond Tuesday anyway, there is no way that a forecast in these types of conditions could be accurate 7 days out. I think Sunday and Monday is close enough for pretty good accuracy but after that we probably won’t know until about Friday evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭pauldry

Phone has 3c 2c and 3c as temperature in Sligo Sunday Monday Tuesday then 7c for all the days after. It's not really a surprise if it gets downgraded. Sure were well used to it. However no snowy spells anywhere seem to last too long nowadays so even one or two days of heavy snow would be enough.

During the Beast my daughter was sick of it after 2 hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭mcburns07

The 2018 snow was like getting sand blasted it took your breath away in the wind if you didn't have your mouth covered

Can't say I have prior experience of being sand blasted so i'll take your word for it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

There's a change in mood. Some very doom and gloom posts. I can feel myself getting downbeat.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bosco12345

There's a change in mood. Some very doom and gloom posts. I can feel myself getting downbeat.....

If you followed the technical thread, the models chop and change so much it's just 50/50 really what happens after day 4/5. I'd take all the doom and gloom posts with a pinch of salt as were pretty much locked in to a good cold spell from Sunday - Wednesday with a high chance of snow in the eastern half of the country, I'd take that anyday

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement