Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,627 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Missed the latest forecast on rté, how is Thurs/Fri and weekend looking for Dublin at this stage? Even one day of coverage for the kids (and me of course) would be such a break from the norm.

You can catch the weather on rté player

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Fics

Boiling some pasta for dinner and suddenly hear the sizzle of it boiling over, jump up to check.... just another Graupel shower bouncing off the window 🥴

Whats a man to do to get some real flakes??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Dosen't really work that cleanly. A typical cool winter westerly for example, where uppers tend to be a bit lower over the west, will still bring cooler temps to the east of the country due the relatively long land track and less ocean influence.

With the northwesterlies we generally are more influenced by low pressure troughing to our north and hence its associated colder upper levels allowing deep convection to take place. It's like the BFTE in 2018, which had no influence from ridging inversions at all. See the Albermarle sounding for 12Z on Feb 28th, 2018 versus that of 00Z today. Firstly, colder lower levels (850 hPa -15 C instead of -10 C) but also a straight profile right up to 500 hPa. Compare it to the latest one, which is greatly affected by ridging from our north and hence that damned inversion at 750 hPa.

2018 was, as some say, the real Deep Easterly...

ukmo_nat_fax_2018022812_000.png

542774.gif

542775.gif

ukmo_nat_fax_2021020906_024.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭piplip87

Incidentally this morning was the best for us here. We got a couple of dustings earlier in the winter but had 2-3cm lying snow this morning still on grass on cars but unfairness roads and paths have dried right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Dazler97 wrote: »
    You can catch the weather on rté player

All I get is a black screen on two different browsers. Vodafone levels of IT magic there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

How is the graupel in Skerries?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

sryanbruen wrote: »
    A lot of it didn't last very long as the sun came out and the temperature rose above freezing around midday but just seeing that blue sky overhead snow cover, even on the beach, was breathtaking. Found it much more enjoyable than 2018 too with the lighter wind and that sunshine, reminiscent of the 2010 days

Very interesting reminice Syran, as always. Because I'm a bit crackers though, I found the near gale and far colder temps during the 2018 easterly spell far more enjoyable than this .... 'thing'. That was an easterly to be proud of!

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭emo72

So I take it there was no streamers on the Irish sea even with an easterly? Any reason they didn't develop?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

emo72 wrote: »
    So I take it there was no streamers on the Irish sea even with an easterly? Any reason they didn't develop?

The easterly is more or less done at this stage, today was meant to be the highlight of it and it failed big time. A few places could still get a coating of dandruff later.

We caught the outer edges of the tail end of a beast with the direct hit going into the Netherlands, Germany and it's now tracked to push back into eastern Europe and down into Greece and Turkey.

That low over SE England did not dive well south of us so we missed out on several days of bitterly cold air. Cold coming out of Norway/Sweden got modified by a warm sector in the north sea and this got modified further crossing the Irish sea. We failed to bring in the freezer across the country and sustain it, not enough temperature difference between the upper air and the sea to help convection so the Irish sea failed to get going.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

emo72 wrote: »

There was a cap limiting convection

Gonzo wrote: »
    The easterly is more or less done at this stage, today was meant to be the highlight of it and it failed big time. A few places could still get a coating of dandruff later.

We caught the outer edges of the tail end of a beast with the direct hit going into the Netherlands, Germany and it's now tracked to push back into eastern Europe and down into Greece and Turkey.

That low over SE England did not dive well south of us so we missed out on several days of bitterly cold air. Cold coming out of Norway/Sweden got modified by a warm sector in the north sea. We failed to bring in the freezer across the country and sustain it, not enough temperature difference between the upper air and the sea to help convection so the Irish sea failed to get going.

The 850hPa temps got as low as -12c possibly lower. That is in the freeze in my eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

That low over SE England did not dive well south of us so we missed out on several days of bitterly cold air. Cold coming out of Norway/Sweden got modified by a warm sector in the north sea. We failed to bring in the freezer across the country and sustain it, not enough temperature difference between the upper air and the sea to help convection so the Irish sea failed to get going.

And Thursday is gone for Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,661 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Very interesting reminice Syran, as always. Because I'm a bit crackers though, I found the near gale and far colder temps during the 2018 easterly spell far more enjoyable than this .... 'thing'. That was an easterly to be proud of!

It was what an easterly should be and was well deserving of such a title as a 'beast'.

Didn't get as badly affected as some due to my coastal location with constant thawing going on too faster than it falling at times, up until the Emma drifting came into play on the Friday.

Here here, I'm in the same boat of craziness of loving a gale force easterly with heavy snow blowing right into my face (not being sarcastic) but just something about seeing that fresh cover of undisturbed snow early in the morning before all the cars come out and people wake up, that can't be beaten for me. Both moments are magical though!

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

Anywhere experiencing any snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Cw85 wrote: »

Parts of Derry,Donegal at the moment and looks like a heavy ish pulse of snow east of Navan presently.

Flurries here in Carrick on shannon 1c

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Parts of Derry,Donegal at the moment and looks like a heavy ish pulse of snow east of Navan presently.

Any chance that will by pass me in Carrick or if I'll get anything from it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

And Thursday is gone for Dublin.

I would not say that. Tonights ECM isn't great but all the other models are still showing falling snow at various stages between Thursday and Saturday, weather it sticks or not is another thing entirely.

It’s trying... we need heavier showers though as dry snow just breaks up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    The 850hPa temps got as low as -12c possibly lower. That is in the freeze in my eyes.[/QUOTE

The thickness level was poor compared to other notable spells. Reversal highlighted this as a concern a few days ago. The ground temperatures did not help either. Its a terrible effort when snow from an easterly melts quickly in the morning. If we don't get a decent snow event on Thursday, i am afraid this winter could go out on a whimper based on current guidance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭esposito

That low over SE England did not dive well south of us so we missed out on several days of bitterly cold air. Cold coming out of Norway/Sweden got modified by a warm sector in the north sea and this got modified further crossing the Irish sea. We failed to bring in the freezer across the country and sustain it, not enough temperature difference between the upper air and the sea to help convection so the Irish sea failed to get going.

Great summary Gonzo. Never thought you would use the word dandruff with an easterly but it’s apt on this occasion.

Desperately disappointing. I wasn’t expecting a 2018 beast but I thought it might be similar to Feb 2009. How wrong I was!

I would love another proper blast of cold in the next few weeks before this winter is over but the chances of that is looking slim at the moment. Damn Atlantic has to ruin everything and always has to win doesn’t it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Dazler97 wrote: »
    Any chance that will by pass me in Carrick or if I'll get anything from it

I doubt much if any but who knows. There's showers nearby here now that weren't forecast earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭BrandonBay86

Gonzo you repeatedly say it failed to get going yet the coastal parts of your county are currently getting intermittent graupel & sleet showers as I type.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Buried in N Tipp :D

0.4’C
    542786.jpg

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Cw85 wrote: »

At Old Trafford. As much as I have to report anyway. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I would not say that. Tonights ECM isn't great but all the other models are still showing falling snow at various stages between Thursday and Saturday, weather it sticks or not is another thing entirely.

And that is a downgrade considering models had predicted differently for the last few days.

Massive let down, models are pointless when more than 36 hours out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

Several days of heavy dandruff or a breakdown system that might produce several cms to a lot of Ireland? No contest. The Easterly hasn't produced up to now. I was hoping the Eastern half of the country would have seen something substantial by now. It will be helpful when the system arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

Understand that the wind & low cloud cover has played a big factor in last few days in preventing lower ground temperatures and not as much convection in Irish Sea and it certainly seems unusual here on the coast to have had nearly 4 days of strong easterly winds. But winds are forecasted to drop somewhat in morning with less cloud cover and wondering on whether that could pop up a few more showers, not clutching at straws (well I am really!!) but also interested if any thoughts on whether we see even a small change in the Irish Sea ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

Buried in N Tipp :D

0.4’C
    542786.jpg

# i drive a bmw post ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement