Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Gonzo you repeatedly say it failed to get going yet the coastal parts of your county are currently getting intermittent graupel & sleet showers as I type.

That's still a failure. No beefy showers, just patchy grapel daytime temperatures above freezing and a fairly quick melt this morning. The minimum I would expect from a decent easterly in February would be a nationwide ice day combined with many places reporting 5 to 10cm of dry powdery snow, even if it was just for one day and night. February 2009 was an example of a decent easterly lasting 2/3 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

sjb25 wrote: »
    # i drive a bmw post ;)

Yea just look at the grapple on the roundel :D

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭BrandonBay86

Gonzo wrote: »
    That's still a failure. No beefy showers, just patchy grapel daytime temperatures above freezing and a fairly quick melt this morning. The minimum I would expect from a decent easterly in February would be a nationwide ice day combined with many places reporting 5 to 10cm of dry powdery snow, even if it was just for one day and night. February 2009 was an example of a decent easterly lasting 2/3 days.

I woke up to 2.5/3cm as I said and I’m not a million miles from you. Wouldn’t call that a failure.

All subjective I suppose.

If you get snow, it can’t be a failure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Billcarson

It feels like this winter has been trolling us. Often close but no cigar. Really disappointed by this spell. We've had better spells from PM northwesterlies.
    If we get some prolonged snow on Thursday/Friday,wont be all that bothered, if it's all going to be gone at the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Should you add in Connacht and Munster in the Yellow warnings for snow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Billcarson wrote: »
    It feels like this winter has been trolling us. Often close but no cigar. Really disappointed by this spell. We've had better spells from PM northwesterlies.
    If we get some prolonged snow on Thursday/Friday,wont be all that bothered, if it's all going to be gone at the weekend.

I take one day of it with the kids

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

Moderate snow with a dusting. Swords Co Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭King of Spades

Heavy enough snow shower here in Meath for the past hour which started out as graupel. Any areas that thawed today are gone completely white again.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

It has to be said that a northern European country like Ireland, albeit situated in the Northwest of Europe, has a dismal record for decent snowfall generally speaking.

It is even snowing in many parts of Brittany in Northern France as I type. What does that tell you??

The landmass has a lot to do with it I suspect.

We are quite small in area so that prevents cold from building up and holding tight.

If it is marginal, 8/10 it rains instead of snowing except for high ground.

Our Summers are generally poor as well.....on a par with those in Scotland but Scotland have harder winters than us.

AsI have said in previous posts, snow is uncommon in Ireland - not rare - but decent snowfall is indeed indeed rare away from high ground.

We have a nice country but a very, very, depressing climate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Should you add in Connacht and Munster in the Yellow warnings for snow

Yes according to Met Eireann's forecast.

Beautiful and dry here with snow blowing about occasionally - freezing cold but not nearly as ice covered and snowy as in early January.

Sligo 90m asl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Finally a decent graupel shower in Swords which has turned everything white.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

The one thing I can say about this Is I've learned a lesson. From now on I'm ignoring any weather models more than 36 hours out.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

For Fiddlers Feck Sake. Irish weather, will you either sh@t or get off the pot. This polystrynene nonsense you are teasing us with is a joke. Either snow or bugger off.

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

Light snow FINALLY starting to fall I'm Carlow Town, first time it hasn't been graupel

Guys, don't give up hope. There's still a few weeks of winter left. And plenty of streamers still to come. The anticipation is as almost as much fun as the event. Stay on the white gold roller-coaster. CHOO-CHOO!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

sjb25 wrote: »
    # i drive a bmw post ;)

I don't begrudge anyone with a BMW, they are the nicest car to drive!

New Moon

Cw85 wrote: »
    The one thing I can say about this Is I've learned a lesson. From now on I'm ignoring any weather models more than 36 hours out.

Its basically fairytale stuff these models that far out.

Probably shouldn't start threads even till 36 hours out, as total misleading information.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Big snow fan, but this whole "event" has amounted to temps slightly below what preceded it, and some pellets (SW Dublin). I expect some cold rain and sleet from this front.

Bring on spring. Hoping for a warm one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Buried in N Tipp :D

0.4’C

I'm also in N Tipp. I'm fairly sure I recognise that car and have seen it shrinking rapidly in my rear view mirror, many a time.

;)

Specks fluttering around outside - breezy and cold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭brianthomas

Dublin here..

Latest from Met.ie on their website.

Thursday: Sleet and snow will slowly extend northwards from the southwest across much of Munster, Connacht and Leinster, with snow accumulations leading to hazardous conditions. Highest temperatures of 1 to 3 degrees. Feeling colder in fresh and gusty southeast winds, strongest in western and southwestern counties.

Is this still realistic? Seems we have thrown in the towel reading the comments on here so wondering if for Dublin, a snowy event Thursday/Friday is just wishful thinking or?

Clondalkin in Dublin

Dublin here..

Thursday: Sleet and snow will slowly extend northwards from the southwest across much of Munster, Connacht and Leinster, with snow accumulations leading to hazardous conditions. Highest temperatures of 1 to 3 degrees. Feeling colder in fresh and gusty southeast winds, strongest in western and southwestern counties.

Is this still realistic? Seems we have thrown in the towel reading the comments on here so wondering if for Dublin, a snowy event Thursday/Friday is just wishful thinking or?

Seems to be very wishful now. Models not good

What a pathetic weather forecast.... She couldn't wait to get off the stage.... No specifics, nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    What a pathetic weather forecast.... She couldn't wait to get off the stage.... No specifics, nothing.

I feel they have bene playing the cards so close to their chest this week. By 12 tomorrow must know more :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

"Plus ca change, plus ca reste la meme."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    I thought it was excellent. Mentioned how bitter it is and that the air originated from Siberia something her colleagues failed to do last few days

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭notwhoyouthink

Siri has told me that it will not snow on Thursday.

Thank you Siri :D:cool:

Graces7 wrote: »
    "Plus ca change, plus ca reste la meme."

Or even

Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.......

N'est-ce pas mon pote???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

would it be fair to say that east and higher grounds midlands will see the worst in next two days, and juding by cnn weather forecast warm air front will push in over ire come weekend and this will be about it, as winds are keeping temps freezing otherwise whatever falls barely survives over day time, so few cm here and there will turn into mush as theres no actual dip for it to stay frozen aside cold front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Dublin here..

Looks like Dublin is going to be fortunate and miss out on the big accumulations that we're predicted a few days ago. Still going to be very cold..No need to stock up on the slice pans.. Ha ha

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement