Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Frustrating to not have ground temps on our side from the start. Decent effort all the same.

Down to 0.2c. D9.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Just had a heavy grap shower with decent flakes in the mix too

Temp down to 0.7C and have a decent covering on the floor now

oops its all sideways??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,573 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

As expected, colder air seeping into Ulster from southern Scotland, -3/-6 latest from Belfast and -2/-5 Lough Fea. Coldest uppers now expected to pool over northeast Ireland by mid-day Wednesday. It feeds into the snowfall potential, as long as the wall of cold is not too strong or too far southwest, then it reduces the snow potential for Thursday-Friday.

Can't recall a time when so much bitter cold has developed in so many different parts of the n.h. ... -45 to -50 C readings in northwest Canada now associated with 1064 mb high over NWT. This extends (in similar anomaly form) southeast into the Midwestern U.S. where lows of -25 to -30 fairly widespread.

Recent temperature of -38 about 300 km northeast of Moscow (where it's -13 and snowing). Currently -22 at St Petersburg RU also, and near -20 in central Germany in their late overnight time zone. Not just up on Bracken but in valleys around the Harz mountains.

Most of eastern Siberia at least seasonably cold. Here's the hemispheric 18z chart, note the linked 1060+ highs in Canada, north of Alaska and Greenland.

Also note the low in the western Atlantic is just sitting there without much new energy flowing into it, trough links it to the nw France low producing snow in Normandy.

https://weather.gc.ca/data/analysis/941_100.gif

(later readers take note, this map likely to update every six hours at a schedule roughly 3.5 hours after map times, so if you are reading this after 0330z likely to see the current 00z analysis, etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

ongarboy wrote: »
    Far and away the best fall of snow in Dublin 15 these past 15 minutes and beats the dustings in January and on NYE. A good 1-2 cms on the ground in Ongar and grass starting to get covered now too.

Same in Blanchardstown although we had the same amount or a little more in January....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

text

Thanks M.T.!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭highdef

Dazler97 wrote: »
    Showers show over me but nothing, is the net weather radar crap

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Dazler97

highdef wrote: »
    Yes

What radar should I follow??

What radar should I follow??

Met Eireann is the best for me anyway. Always extremely accurate at my location in North Kildare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Rougies

Any radar site that is not met.ie uses UK Met radar data, which doesn't include Dublin radar data, only Shannon from the Republic.

Netweather, Raintoday, Meteociel etc etc all use UK Met data are are completely useless for the east coast when there is precip south of the NI radar.

Look at any of these sites right now and compare to met.ie

highdef wrote: »
    Met Eireann is the best for me anyway. Always extremely accurate at my location in North Kildare.

Grand I'll use that so, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Really after picking up here in North West Kildare. Wind and decent snow. Probably an inch tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Donegal Ken

I'm gonna be honest if I was met eireann (even though I'm better lol) I would have issued a warning tonight for Dublin, wicklow, kildare, meath, westmeath, cavan and Monaghan, it ridiculous dublin isn't in the warning till 0800 Thursday

And Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Howth down to 0.8c. Pleasant covering in places around here.

And Donegal

Whiteout here in Dublin 15....lovely covering and still snowing heavily..

Rougies wrote: »
    Any radar site that is not met.ie uses UK Met radar data, which doesn't include Dublin radar data, only Shannon from the Republic.

Netweather, Raintoday, Meteociel etc etc all use UK Met data are are completely useless for the east coast when there is precip south of the NI radar.

Yep met is the best for me anyway, sadly showers seem to run out of juice before they get to me

And Donegal

Really have yous had showers up there today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

0.4C and snow settling nicely. Just light stuff atm but not complaining.

Check this radar out, reads a bit more intense than ground truth sometimes but if you get used to it, can be helpful.

http://www.meteociel.fr/observations-meteo/radar2.php?region=uk&mode=1

can navigate to other European radars from this link also, check current France depiction, interesting.

Check this radar out, reads a bit more intense than ground truth sometimes but if you get used to it, can be helpful.

can navigate to other European radars from this link also, check current France depiction, interesting.

Thanks MT

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

As expected, colder air seeping into Ulster from southern Scotland, -3/-6 latest from Belfast and -2/-5 Lough Fea. Coldest uppers now expected to pool over northeast Ireland by mid-day Wednesday. It feeds into the snowfall potential, as long as the wall of cold is not too strong or too far southwest, then it reduces the snow potential for Thursday-Friday.

Can't recall a time when so much bitter cold has developed in so many different parts of the n.h. ... -45 to -50 C readings in northwest Canada now associated with 1064 mb high over NWT. This extends (in similar anomaly form) southeast into the Midwestern U.S. where lows of -25 to -30 fairly widespread.

Recent temperature of -38 about 300 km northeast of Moscow (where it's -13 and snowing). Currently -22 at St Petersburg RU also, and near -20 in central Germany in their late overnight time zone. Not just up on Bracken but in valleys around the Harz mountains.

Most of eastern Siberia at least seasonably cold. Here's the hemispheric 18z chart, note the linked 1060+ highs in Canada, north of Alaska and Greenland.

Also note the low in the western Atlantic is just sitting there without much new energy flowing into it, trough links it to the nw France low producing snow in Normandy.

https://weather.gc.ca/data/analysis/941_100.gif

(later readers take note, this map likely to update every six hours at a schedule roughly 3.5 hours after map times, so if you are reading this after 0330z likely to see the current 00z analysis, etc).

-1.6c/-5c here. I've seen far colder.

• Advertisement

They should all use the same radar system.

Yes, we had a few streamers that didn't amount to much as the snow was very powdery.

It's completely wrong MT, for reasons I described above. Compare radar images from Dublin bay south on met.ie and compare with reports on this thread.

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    They should all use the same radar system.

They should but they don't.

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Yes, we had a few streamers that didn't amount to much as the snow was very powdery.

For Northern parts of the county yes but then they'd have to issue all of donegal where only a small part is getting snow

For Northern parts of the county yes but then they'd have to issue all of donegal where only a small part is getting snow

Met Eireann is by far the most accurate..no question about it. No other radar come near it.

Inishowen much of Monday morning it was snowing and again tonight it you look at the radar heavy snowfall hitting the areas again. Parts of Derry and Antrim got a good covering this evening also.

Yes I'm aware that linked radar isn't complete Irish coverage but it helps fill in gaps in the north. I thought that was the original issue being discussed.

Regardless that's there job to issue a warning no matter where it is in the county. It would be as simple as stating snow accumulations of 2cm to 5cm across northern parts of Donegal tonight. Drier elsewhere.

• Advertisement

It's completely wrong MT, for reasons I described above. Compare radar images from Dublin bay south on met.ie and compare with reports on this thread.

Completely agree Rougies. Netweather may be more accurate closer to Shannon or Belfast but in the east at least, the only one I can trust and with fairly high resolution when viewed on the app is Met Eireann.

I was out for a walk earlier (between 23:30 and 00:30) and got caught in a fairly heavy snow shower (North Kildare, near the Meath border). Met Eireann radar showed the shower perfectly, plus all the lighter stuff around (since about 7pm, it's been alternating between light and moderate, sometimes heavy snow). Netweather showed a shower to my North, nothing over me and nothing to my South even though there were areas of snow being reported in Naas, a fair bit away. The netweather radar has been showing a sharp North/south cutoff between fairly decent precipitation and nothing and I am hovering at the cutoff point. Was the same yesterday evening where it showed me practically precipitation free all evening and night yet I had 3cm of snow on the car roof this morning. The others that MT listed would be identical, I worked imagine. The Meteociel example that he posted certainly looks identical to Netweather and no doubt it is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement