Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Inishowen much of Monday morning it was snowing and again tonight it you look at the radar heavy snowfall hitting the areas again. Parts of Derry and Antrim got a good covering this evening also.

Not really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

As of an hour ago 1cm on the ground near Kill Village(Kildare) after steady but light snow over the past few hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Dazler97

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    Met Eireann is by far the most accurate..no question about it. No other radar come near it.

I just wasn't sure as I went through 3 radars but couldn't think of which one is better

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Not really.

Have you not seen Coleraine, Derry tonight? Got some nice accumulations earlier. Image attached below by Kerry Brolly.

FB_IMG_1612921888143.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭highdef

Not really.

There were photos of Derry city and Coleraine town posted earlier with a decent covering on the roads and pavements so that covers Derry. Can't speak for Antrim as I've seen no photos or videos.

• Advertisement

The Shannon radar has a mind of its own and gets more days of than any other radar in the UK and Ireland. Badly need a new one down there.

Have you not seen Coleraine, Derry tonight? Got some nice accumulations earlier. Image attached below by Kerry Brolly.

FB_IMG_1612921888143.jpg

Wait what, Derry isn't even in the warning either so the met office got that wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Paso Fino

Heavy showers of mainly graupel falling in coastal north Dublin for the last while - have a small covering of the stuff now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Dusting in Dublin 3, ground temps are closer to 0c now. Cars covered, grass speckled with snow

FB_IMG_1612921888143.jpg

That's Garvagh, not coleraine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,333 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Starting to get some build up here in D15, a steady moderate fall of snow grains the last couple of hours has covered all hard surfaces and there is a couple of cms on cars and roofs.

Really cold here - 2c but think it's to breezy for a frost

Dazler97 wrote: »
    Wait what, Derry isn't even in the warning either so the met office got that wrong

Yea and a few areas around east Donegal and Tyrone got some snow also with a dusting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭highdef

Sorry, I misread that earlier as Derry city, no idea how. There was also a photograph from Coleraine.

542795.jpg

Yea and a few areas around east Donegal and Tyrone got some snow also with a dusting

That's good then

Only around 17 kilometers away from Coleraine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Rougies

Yes I'm aware that linked radar isn't complete Irish coverage but it helps fill in gaps in the north. I thought that was the original issue being discussed.

Met.ie have been using the NI radar for a few years now, so filling in the gaps in the north isn't an issue anymore. We have three radars on the island, Shannon AP, Dublin AP and the NI one at the SE shore of Lough Neagh.

The issue is that only Met.ie use all three radar data in their composite radar imagery, all other radar imagery for the island is a composite of Shannon and NI only.

highdef wrote: »
    Sorry, I misread that earlier as Derry city, no idea how. There was also a photograph from Coleraine.

542795.jpg

That also looks like Garvagh. Anyway, don't post anymore photos that streamer was 4-5 miles south me for an hour or two. I could see it from my house. Made me really angry.

Not to mention that damn streamer in donegal that's been going on for 24 hours now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

highdef wrote: »
    Completely agree Rougies. Netweather may be more accurate closer to Shannon or Belfast but in the east at least, the only one I can trust and with fairly high resolution when viewed on the app is Met Eireann.

I was out for a walk earlier (between 23:30 and 00:30) and got caught in a fairly heavy snow shower (North Kildare, near the Meath border). Met Eireann radar showed the shower perfectly, plus all the lighter stuff around (since about 7pm, it's been alternating between light and moderate, sometimes heavy snow). Netweather showed a shower to my North, nothing over me and nothing to my South even though there were areas of snow being reported in Naas, a fair bit away. The netweather radar has been showing a sharp North/south cutoff between fairly decent precipitation and nothing and I am hovering at the cutoff point. Was the same yesterday evening where it showed me practically precipitation free all evening and night yet I had 3cm of snow on the car roof this morning. The others that MT listed would be identical, I worked imagine. The Meteociel example that he posted certainly looks identical to Netweather and no doubt it is.

ME doppler are in terrible locations but yes they are better than what the UK sites put out. The Castor Bay site in NI is the only radar north of Dublin but ME is getting another 3 radar locations to add to the upgraded Dub and Shannon ones. One the NW and one in the SE which are badly needed as both radar sites have trouble picking up echoes in the SE due to topography of the Blackstairs and Wicklow mtns another one in the midlands or
    SW which is not confirmed as yet :)

Snowfall in Culdaff Donegal this morning from that streamer

https://mobile.twitter.com/DonegalWeatherC/status/1359326321948688384

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,218 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Sparkles outside in West Clare, not in position to have any sort of proper look, but appears as if freezing out and too many sparkles to just be ice.

Hence, assumption of very light snow grains under freezing temperatures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Rougies

Snowbie wrote: »
    ME doppler are in terrible locations but yes they are better than what the UK sites put out. The Castor Bay site in NI is the only radar north of Dublin but ME is getting another 3 radar locations to add to the upgraded Dub and Shannon ones. One the NW and one in the SE which are badly needed as both radar sites have trouble picking up echoes in the SE due to topography of the Blackstairs and Wicklow mtns another one in the midlands or
    SW which is not confirmed as yet :)

I disagree, the Dublin and Shannon radar are in good locations imo. If we could only have two, I'd leave them where they are for optimal coverage in terms of area covered and population density.

100% agree the radar network upgrade is badly needed for many areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Rougies wrote: »
    I disagree, the Dublin and Shannon radar are in good locations imo. If we could only have two, I'd leave them where they are for optimal coverage in terms of area covered and population density.

100% agree the radar network upgrade is badly needed for many areas.
    The more eyes the better, having only two on this island never worked for full coverage for ME. The airports are in good locations, unfortunately the radar didn't work to their full potential at these airports and are blinded in a few directions. I wouldn't think a roll out of more sites is going to happen any time soon though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,573 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

-5.3 / -7.7 is the 03z reading from Castlederg, no other reporting station below -2 but Lough Fea was missing.

readings falling steadily in southern Scotland too, Eskdalemuir was -6.

This may just indicate locally clear skies, could easily fall to -8 anywhere that had a long clear interval now.

It’s -3c here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

This will come to nothing for most.

But it’s a bit of a diversion speculating.

Got my supermarket delivery today, so am sorted for a week. We shall see what happens. East coast here, and am usually a Beast lol!

Streamers have set up again! I was hoping to reach -5c or -6c here!

There is always something to stop a cold night!!

Castlederg -6/-8 as of 04z ... Knock has fallen to -3 now.

(just noting these for the benefit of morning readers)

Not really very relevant but Altnaharra in n Scotland is down to -17.

Going to have a look at 00z GFS and GEM output now, could be anything I suppose. Maybe Nostradamus has an answer for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Advertisement

Same general themes (and differences) so far, GFS has the 5-10 cm snow late Thursday into Friday morning, secondary snowfall into Ulster Saturday, slow warming trend, heavy rain south coast.

GEM looks similar to earlier too.

Arpege (probably signalling what ECM will say) has limited snow Thursday, peters out by midnight, more significant snow by Saturday in north-central to northeast counties.

No real consensus showing yet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement