Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Speak Now wrote: »
    Eh Covid is heartbreaking, this is a bit of fun.

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

It's almost like we are all in denial that this has been a complete disaster from a snow lover's and forecasters' perspective. As much as I love the cold and snow, I have never wished for an early spring as much as I have this morning. The thoughts of people staring out windows tomorrow and Friday, picking out one or two flakes of wet snow falling amongst rain and somehow trying to convince themselves and others that we will get the elusive 10cm is heartbreaking.
    doubt many are checking here for snow, its been obvious that given current temps it simply cant be sustained, some still have to commute, and that fluff when frozen on backroads can do enough damage, given its been freezing temps around most of the country due to winds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Famine, HIV, global warming, poverty, malaria etc etc are also all heartbreaking but we are still allowed to be upset over no snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Mooro

Sunshine and blue skies in Tullamore. If we are not going to have snow this is a nice consolation prize after the grey muck of the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Rebel browser,

I lived in Glamire gor nearly four years from 2004 -to 2008.

Never saw a covering of snow once during that period... Not once.

While up in Dublin there were frequent snowfalls during that period.... Just like this week and January in Dublin.... Not everywhere in Dublin of course but most parts

That is just the way it is I am afraid...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Famine, HIV, global warming, poverty, malaria etc etc are also all heartbreaking but we are still allowed to be upset over no snow.

Jesus,the poster merely pointed out that snow no matter how little is giving people some joy in light of Covid,yet you add everything else into the mix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Getting heavier in Cork city now.

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    Rebel browser,

I lived in Glamire gor nearly four years from 2004 -to 2008.

Never saw a covering of snow once during that period... Not once.

While up in Dublin there were frequent snowfalls during that period.... Just like this week and January in Dublin.... Not everywhere in Dublin of course but most parts

That is just the way it is I am afraid...

To be fair you wouldn't have seen a whole lot in the east or Dublin at that time either :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭Archeron

I'm taking Friday off in anticipation of building an army of snowmen. If it doesn't happen, I'll just enjoy a nice crispy spring walk instead :)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭EMPotatohands

Jaysis why are some of yous so moany all the time. It’s weather, if someone wants to find joy in 3 flakes of snow let them. If it’s annoying you that much just don’t look at the forum.

• Advertisement

Speak now.. Obviously you are not living in Dublin 15.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭highdef

TTLF wrote: »
    Last night was absolutely epic. I can't upload video's to boards, but the sheer volume that was coming down was amazing. I have the video here on Twitter

https://twitter.com/vxlks/status/1359447259646197761

That's my snow fix fulfilled :D:D

Snow still around now too... although melting :p

I'm guessing you haven't seen too many proper snow events? That snow looks to be moderate at best. The video below is an example of heavy snow, about 40km west of you during the big snow of 2018 when visibility sometimes dropped to below 50m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭circadian

Jesus, no need to be so dour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

It's almost like we are all in denial that this has been a complete disaster from a snow lover's and forecasters' perspective. As much as I love the cold and snow, I have never wished for an early spring as much as I have this morning. The thoughts of people staring out windows tomorrow and Friday, picking out one or two flakes of wet snow falling amongst rain and somehow trying to convince themselves and others that we will get the elusive 10cm is heartbreaking.

Speak for yourself.
    South East will be doing a good more than picking 1-2 flakes tomorrow.

scamalert wrote: »
    doubt many are checking here for snow, its been obvious that given current temps it simply cant be sustained, some still have to commute, and that fluff when frozen on backroads can do enough damage, given its been freezing temps around most of the country due to winds.

Would people stop quoting he/she/it and join the rest of us putting he/she/it on ignore
    You can specify a username in the ignore list in your user cp and their posts no longer show
    However people who haven't discovered the magic ignore function who still quote unwanted pest posts basically publish what the ignore button has hidden for most everyone else
    Thank you!

AuntySnow wrote: »
    To be fair you wouldn't have seen a whole lot in the east or Dublin at that time either :)

Well a whole lot more than down there.... Every winter it snows in Dublin 15... Ranging from a few centimeters to several centimeters and sometimes very heavy snowfall.....

Show me photos of heavy snowfall i.e. Drifts 5/6 feet high in Cork city or suburbs from any decade and I wil leave this forum.....???

Dublin suburbs has has quite a few of these events

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Looks a like a weak streamer developing to the south of the main streamer (currently running into north Dublin/Meath).

Very light snow flurries on and off in Dublin 16. 1.8c atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    Speak for yourself.
    South East will be doing a good more than picking 1-2 flakes tomorrow.

We shall see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭screamer

Hoping for some snow for the kids tomorrow to lighten the lockdown boredom. We’re 150m asl on the kk Laois border, so hoping we’re in a good spot, we get a couple of snow events most winters. So, I’ve the yard cleaned up so any snow that falls will be pristine for snowman making. I’ve the sleds out of the shed since the last snow a few weeks ago, and the snowsuits and mittens for the kids are washed and ready to go. Bring it on! I hope

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭westcork blue

Much lying snow? There is a lot of precipitation hovering over Carnsore Point this morning!
    Not much lying snow at sea level but starting to stick on the hills around the village. Very heavy graupel falling currently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

The streamers seem to be just missing out Swords and Donabate but pasting Rush and Skerries .... C'mon streamers .. move south about 10 km :D

As usual Bettystown gets f.**k all but a few sporadic flakes of empty promises. Could be day after tomorrow level snow up the road and we’d still be just getting rain or miserably dour weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,705 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Speak now.. Obviously you are not living in Dublin 15.....

What are you talking about :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭BrandonBay86

Snowing just outside Ardee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Mooro wrote: »
    Sunshine and blue skies in Tullamore. If we are not going to have snow this is a nice consolation prize after the grey muck of the last few weeks.

Add 10 degrees to the temperature and I'll be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Not going to stick at all in cork city I'd say. Bah

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Think most with little kids are welcoming of any snow,my two wee ones are in their element with what we have,if they're happy the parents are also,if anything else comes and gives them more time out and about in the snow,brilliant,just let folk be happy if its 2 flakes or a blizzard :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Well a whole lot more than down there.... Every winter it snows in Dublin 15... Ranging from a few centimeters to several centimeters and sometimes very heavy snowfall.....

Show me photos of heavy snowfall i.e. Drifts 5/6 feet high in Cork city or suburbs from any decade and I wil leave this forum.....???

Dublin suburbs has has quite a few of these events

These good enough :D .. carrigaline March 2018

20180228-165635.jpg

20180302-091425.jpg

20180302-104813.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭BrandonBay86

Add 10 degrees to the temperature and I'll be happy.

I don’t think you’ll ever be happy

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

highdef wrote: »
    I'm guessing you haven't seen too many proper snow events? That snow looks to be moderate at best. The video below is an example of heavy snow, about 40km west of you during the big snow of 2018 when visibility sometimes dropped to below 50m.

Oh no, I've seen quite a few events, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2013, 2018 and I guess this 2021... although it's not a "big" event.

2010 and 2018 had way better snow, I was absolutely dumped upon in 2018 and 2010, I don't think we had much thaw in 2010 before the reload here, and I had no thaw in 2018, im pretty sure it snowed from Thursday afternoon until Saturday morning, I got about 40-45cm. Even the Mini beast on March 18th gave me about 5cm. Sure, there isn't much here, but my standards for snow/snow falling are just very low, I've loved snow all my life

Photo taken on Feb 27th, night 1 of the streamers, as seen I think that night I got about 10-12cm. This was taken at about 3am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Snowbie wrote: »
    Heaviest of the streamer between Skerries and Rush atm. Balbriggan was under this streamer earlier on and now it may get another pasting from this in the next hour if the radar loop is correct. Pity, so close to here. Only light snow falling atm

It's snowing here. Actual snow.:D There is plenty of graupel on the ground to help it stick. It's snowing at least 10 minutes now and it's a steady stream. It doesn't look like stopping for a bit.

I'm in East Meath - 3km inland from the coast.

I'll post photos in a while if there is enough snow to show off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement