Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ZeroSum76

garyha wrote: »
    The Met Eireann forecast was correct.

This is citing a lack of human input as an issue with weather apps. Surely that's a positive in favour of a weather app? I would trust a machine learning led interpretation of data over a humans. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭BrandonBay86

Road between Collon & Analogue Cross impassable due to snow & ice.

-0.5c

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭garyha

ZeroSum76 wrote: »
    This is citing a lack of human input as an issue with weather apps. Surely that's a positive in favour of a weather app? I would trust a machine learning led interpretation of data over a humans. :confused:

Shake a snow globe and predict where all of the snowflakes will end up. That's kind of as complex as weather modelling is. It's computationally extremely difficult and requires qualified people to make use of various models and their own knowledge to provide a forecast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Proper snow in my area of meath, none of that old graupal stuff, but temp has risen sharply from 0.6c to to 4.8c, so its not settling

Edit: Temp back down to 2.5c

Road between Collon & Analogue Cross impassable due to snow & ice.

-0.5c

Im not far from collon, is that towards Ardee?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

ZeroSum76 wrote: »

This is 100% wrong , weather reports or forecasts blend Data from differing models and meteorologists own experience , one day maybe AI maybe can do this but rite now it does not match the expertise of a professional meteorologist .

Some weather Apps use data from only one input either the GFS or ECM , and you may have noticed just how much most models have struggled with this period of weather , wild swings day by day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Artane2002

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Yeah no complaints here, much rather the sun over a bit of graupel which I barely got a dusting overnight. Can see the shower clouds gazing to my north towards the Balbriggan area. So glad to see the sun shining and not just very briefly either.

I can see some pretty big clouds to the south/southwest too from here. it's good to have a bit of sunshine after the extremely dull weather of the last few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Where are you?
    Portrane

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Manitoban

Yep towards Ardee

• Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Just light snow here atm.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

We had a small covering of snow overnight but all melted rapidly. Really bizarre considering it’s only 1c and the snow stuck around to ages in other cold February’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

When is the snow due for westmeath?

Cracking day here so far - sunshine!

Yes back road from Collon to Ardee up by the wind farm

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

carq wrote: »
    When is the snow due for westmeath?

Cracking day here so far - sunshine!

Met Eireann are going for a light fall of snow in places from tomorrow evening which may last into Friday or Friday night before the mild takes over in all areas on Saturday.

Status Yellow - Snow/Ice warning for Munster, Connacht and Leinster
    Met Éireann Weather Warning

A band of sleet and snow spreading northeastwards during Thursday giving snow accumulations of up to 5cm in some areas (higher over the mountains), but transitioning to rain in the west and south on Thursday night.

Valid: 08:00 Thursday 11/02/2021 to 08:00 Friday 12/02/2021

Issued: 10:00 Tuesday 09/02/2021

garyha wrote: »
    Shake a snow globe and predict where all of the snowflakes will end up. That's kind of as complex as weather modelling is. It's computationally extremely difficult and requires qualified people to make use of various models and their own knowledge to provide a forecast.

Not in Cork anyway!

But you have hit upon an interesting divergence between weather forecasting v weather chat. Computers and algorithms would no doubt be a more accurate format, but then we wouldn't have Jean Byrne.
    I learned a few years ago, after warning family and friends of an impending storm that didn't arrive, that Boards is for chat and Met Eireann is for weather forecasts.
    And there's nothing wrong with that.

Yes back road from Collon to Ardee up by the wind farm

Around mount oriel?, pretty hilly up there alright, many a summers evening spinning round there on the bike before heading back to county meath

Around mount oriel?, pretty hilly up there alright, many a summers evening spinning round there on the bike before heading back to county meath

Exactly yes, you can’t get up to the top it with the snow today. Scenic part of the country.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Looks like Irish Sea showers are dying away now as pressure rises.

Mostly clear, sunny and spring like in Dublin 16 now. 3.5c atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ZeroSum76

This is 100% wrong , weather reports or forecasts blend Data from differing models and meteorologists own experience , one day maybe AI maybe can do this but rite now it does not match the expertise of a professional meteorologist .

Some weather Apps use data from only one input either the GFS or ECM , and you may have noticed just how much most models have struggled with this period of weather , wild swings day by day

To clarify in case any serious meteorologists on here feel as though I was being completely dismissive of their profession... what I meant was 'in general' I would trust a machine learning led interpretation of data over a humans. In general. I was inviting a perspective from someone better in the know than I about how that might not be applicable to weather forecasting in general. So it sounds like technology still has plenty of ground to cover in this space.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 johnny45

Well this week has been a big letdown.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

johnny45 wrote: »

It's only Wednesday....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Heavy graupel shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭R.F.

johnny45 wrote: »

Ive been following the thread since last week. Most of them sugested mon-wed would nto see much and the main event will be from tomorrow. So I think its going as predicted so far.

Although I think most are suggesting tomorow will be good but not great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭AllForIt

AllForIt wrote: »
    If feels odd to be so cold but I didn't see a bit of frost or ice anywhere. Today is as cold as I've felt outdoors for a long time. (West).

Ha! I'm just after doing a summersault on the pavement after walking on a leaking manhole. Good inch of thick solid ice. Thankfully no damage done, to my surprise, just a bruised ego. Thank god so few ppl around to see it.

“Ignores all posts about lying snow”

“Even though it’s only Wednesday this week has been a letdown”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

AllForIt wrote: »
    Ha! I'm just after doing a summersault on the pavement after walking on a leaking manhole. Good inch of thick solid ice. Thankfully no damage done, to my surprise, just a bruised ego. Thank god so few ppl around to see it.

To quote an old friend, you were rather more surprised than pleased! Made me chuckle though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Absolute glorious sunshine in Shankill D18 today. Still cold but makes a nice change for a few hours not to be looking at grey skies with nothing falling from them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

Its been a really strange few days here in Mid Cork. Calm and overcast, but cold like I've never experienced before, it just cuts to the bone. Tiny individual snow flakes falling now and then with the last two days.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Belting of snow here in D15,10 minutes ago the sun was splitting the trees :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭noplacehere

Today was lovely. Woke up to a decent covering of snow in north Kildare. Kids were in the garden by 8am and the estate has all the kids out. Bit of an ice rink getting out this morning with the car but roads all melted and dried now so it’s perfect. Just enough to be pretty and white but not enough to flood the place!

We seem to be on the shadow’d side tomorrow so I’m glad I had two days awaking to lovely white stuff

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement