Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Much calmer here now wind wise. Be interesting to see what the low temperature will be over night. Every little helps for tomorrow night's snow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

All of the snow is now melted despite a frozen ground and 1-2c temps. It amazes me that we had snow lie in March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,951 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

It's a beautiful sunny day here, Laois , but that wind would cut through you , it's bitterly cold .

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Surprisingly here, not all the snow has melted, some good snow still pocketed on the grass and in sheltered areas like my shed roof. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭highdef

North Kildare and there is a decent looking shower approaching from the east. Plenty of scud beneath which is always a good sign. Measured the snow level on the lid of a wheely bin - 34mm....could be worse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

TTLF wrote: »
    Surprisingly here, not all the snow has melted, some good snow still pocketed on the grass and in sheltered areas like my shed roof. :)

Still some in sheltered parts here as well.

That's the snow. The graupel is gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    It's a beautiful sunny day here, Laois , but that wind would cut through you , it's bitterly cold .

I have forgotten what feeling warm is. Just …. chilled to the very marrow. Longing for this to end now. Yearning!

Yes we had snow here this morning, not graupel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭whippet

some nice proper snow flurries here on the louth coast just north of drogheda - not very intense but a nice feel to it

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭R.F.

Graces7 wrote: »
    I have forgotten what feeling warm is. Just …. chilled to the very marrow. Longing for this to end now. Yearning!
    I do love the snow. But I am with you. Roll on warm weather and BBQ's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭piplip87

Nice snow shower here in Virginia now. Big fluffy flakes dont think it has the intensity to stick again though

Graces7 wrote: »

Throw a bag of turf on the fire, Grace.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Much calmer here now wind wise. Be interesting to see what the low temperature will be over night. Every little helps for tomorrow night's snow.

The funny thing is the past hour has seen the best showers since Monday, there was actually some moderate intensity and even a few flakes floating through the graupel. It tried it's best to stick but unfortunately the ground temperatures are relatively mild so everything melts on impact and the ground conditions here are no longer dry like they were from Sunday to Monday. Air temperatures too high as well so it's all just a damp mess here at this stage. The only thing that can maybe save tomorrow night's snowfall will be a proper frosty night tonight and the ground to harden a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭snowgal

yew was just coming on to post this. The best snow shower I have seen all week here near Trim, and it happening when nothing was supposed to! nice to see it, but like others, not sticking.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Yeah no complaints here, much rather the sun over a bit of graupel which I barely got a dusting overnight. Can see the shower clouds gazing to my north towards the Balbriggan area. So glad to see the sun shining and not just very briefly either.

Clear blue skies here all morning but stratocumulus invading once again now. Was nice to see I have to admit. Yesterday's snow cover still lingering in the back garden and other sheltered spots like the sides of kerbs and stuff, but mostly gone thank Christ.

New Moon

Agreed, I had a moderate/heavy shower about 2 hours ago while I was studying and I just looked in awe at the proper flakes like the period of time I had last night.

Anyway, bright and sunny here with sheltered snow in places, I looked up at the sky to see two planes and their contrails**, I actually forgot planes existed with such reduced air traffic and I think this was the first real contrail** I've seen against a lovely blue sky in about 7 or 8 months. :pac: it made me smile, it was actually very beautiful looking, made me feel like it was a specially crafted cloud. :p

The temperature here has fallen to 1c since clouding over. Definitely a very cold airmass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,218 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

TTLF wrote: »
    Agreed, I had a moderate/heavy shower about 2 hours ago while I was studying and I just looked in awe at the proper flakes like the period of time I had last night.

Anyway, bright and sunny here with sheltered snow in places, I looked up at the sky to see two planes and their chem-trails, I actually forgot planes existed with such reduced air traffic and I think this was the first real chemtrail I've seen against a lovely blue sky in about 7 or 8 months. :pac: it made me smile, it was actually very beautiful looking, made me feel like it was a specially crafted cloud. :p

CONTRAIL**!

Haven't seen one of them myself in ages!

JCX BXC wrote: »
    CONTRAIL**!

Haven't seen one of them myself in ages!

It's a contrail? LOL whoops... :D I'll fix that now, odd, I always heard of it the other way. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ZeroSum76

Not in Cork anyway!

But you have hit upon an interesting divergence between weather forecasting v weather chat. Computers and algorithms would no doubt be a more accurate format, but then we wouldn't have Jean Byrne.
    I learned a few years ago, after warning family and friends of an impending storm that didn't arrive, that Boards is for chat and Met Eireann is for weather forecasts.
    And there's nothing wrong with that.

This.

I just checked the Met Eireann forecast for my location and she don't look pretty if you're a snow lover (in Wicklow). :eek:

Nothing until Sat and then only rain.

I'm officially giving up. :(

50929564801_69b0a56bb0_o.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I find those daily forecasts for your area as useful as a chocolate teapot. Maybe others will disagree but I don’t find them very accurate

ZeroSum76 wrote: »
    This.

I just checked the Met Eireann forecast for my location and she don't look pretty if you're a snow lover (in Wicklow). :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

I find those daily forecasts for your area as useful as a chocolate teapot. Maybe others will disagree but I don’t find them very accurate

Indeed, it changes constantly. As I mentioned before I compare it with a phone app for reliability.
    It currently shows 12 hours of sleet for me tomorrow evening, cant wait :cool:

That's what I keep hearing... however, and I'm probably going to get lashed out of it for suggesting this given the amount of model speculation that happens on here… (and granted that’s mostly on the other technical thread) it appears that, certainly for my location, the more the interpretation of these models ramps up and then backtracks over and over and they get firmed up closer to the time, the more they start to reflect what the mainstream weather forecast and weather apps were forecasting all along. No more than 1 to 2 intermittent hours of light (sub 3mm precip) snow and which only kicks off in the wee hours of Saturday morning and is quickly followed by rain.

Some people will see this as a troll but trust me it isn’t. I will gladly eat yellow snow on Friday if I’m proven wrong but the weather apps have been forecasting nothing much snow-wise all along and it's looking like they will stay right. Maybe it’s just dumb luck?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Munster, Connacht and Leinster
    Met Éireann Weather Warning

Strong to gale force southeast winds in conjunction with rain, sleet and snow will lead to poor visibility and hazardous conditions.

Valid: 08:00 Thursday 11/02/2021 to 08:00 Friday 12/02/2021

Issued: 15:00 Wednesday 10/02/2021

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Proper snow shower in Louth over the last few minutes. Like proper snowflakes none of that graupel mullarkey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Snowing here in Carrick on Shannon but not much 1c

ZeroSum76 wrote: »
    This.

In Ashford?
    It will be snowing late tomorrow night and into Friday morning and probably Friday night
    You better be on here reporting

AuntySnow wrote: »
    In Ashford?
    It will be snowing late tomorrow night and into Friday morning and probably Friday night
    You better be on here reporting

"Yellow Snow Update..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Just seen a met office forecast for saturday, snow in the early hours for much of the night in the midlands and east followed by rain during day light hours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

It currently shows 12 hours of sleet for me tomorrow evening, cant wait :cool:

Same for here. I'm dribbling with excitement already.

New Moon

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement