Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

ZeroSum76 wrote: »
    "Yellow Snow Update..."

I'd rather you didn't eat yellow snow but down here in Arklow, I have a dew point of minus 6c all day and an air temp of around 2c with a wetbulb temp of minus 1.3c
    That is despite a wind off the sea
    Weather models are consistently showing 2 fronts one tomorrow night and a 2nd Friday night falling as snow in East wicklow
    The wind off the sea has little to no marine layer today
    Ditto tomorrow and Friday
    So that precipitation is in my opinion primed for snow and could get heavy
    Id expect Certainly plenty to build large snowmen

• Registered Users Posts: 22 cold.stream

Partly cloudy, wind from the E. Occasional sleet very light flurries (Co. Dublin Coast). Will be interesting too see how that front interacts with the Irish sea tomorrow eve & night. Here on the Dublin Coast I'm expecting light and patchy showery graupel with max accumulations of 2/3cm. Friday A.M. should be somewhat more interesting, possibly a few hours of full on light to moderate snow with temps hovering around 0-1 C.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Artane2002

there is a light snow shower with a bit of sunshine here in Dublin 5, pretty to look at. the flakes aren't melting on contact but they're too light to do much. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,804 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Iv asked the question and people have given out but I shall ask again do we expect any heavy snow in Dublin north ?

I only ask because iv two elderly parents one of whom suffers from dementia and I want to make sure there not caught out ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭BigMoose

AuntySnow wrote: »
    I'd rather you didn't eat yellow snow but down here in Arklow, I have a dew point of minus 6c all day and an air temp of around 2c with a wetbulb temp of minus 1.3c
    That is despite a wind off the sea
    Weather models are consistently showing 2 fronts one tomorrow night and a 2nd Friday night falling as snow in East wicklow
    The wind off the sea has little to no marine layer today
    Ditto tomorrow and Friday
    So that precipitation is in my opinion primed for snow and could get heavy
    Id expect Certainly plenty to build large snowmen

I really hope you're right - enough to throw some at the kids and build a large snowman and we'll be happy! But some of the models seem to show little or worse rain for right on the coast in wicklow. Others of course are showing a right dumping at hours we'll be awake to notice...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,875 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Iv asked the question and people have given out but I shall ask again do we expect any heavy snow in Dublin north ?

I only ask because iv two elderly parents one of whom suffers from dementia and I want to make sure there not caught out ,

Light to moderate snow. Possibly heavier for a time Friday night.

Somewhere between 1 and 5 cms so nothing too disruptive.

Hope that helps.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Edit: What KDF says above.

Also a chance there may be no snow if front does not make it or fizzles out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Looking at those charts it shows hardly any snow for me. These frontal systems never bring snow here despite being in a far northern location

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

Status Yellow - Snow/Ice warning for Dublin, Louth, Meath, Cavan and Monaghan

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Update: Scattered hail or snow showers continuing for a time this evening with some accumulations in places and icy stretches on untreated surfaces.

Valid: 16:00 Wednesday 10/02/2021 to 20:00 Wednesday 10/02/2021

Issued: 16:43 Wednesday 10/02/2021

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Looking at those charts it shows hardly any snow for me. These frontal systems never bring snow here despite being in a far northern location

Does being in a ‘far northern location’ guarantee snow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,804 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Light to moderate snow. Possibly heavier for a time Friday night.

Somewhere between 1 and 5 cms so nothing too disruptive.

Hope that helps.

Sorry for being a burden are we talking what we seen back 2 weeks ago in north Dublin or less ?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Inmate2020

I posted this in the wrong thread but a bit unsure why Bray Town Council are preparing for coastal flooding - never seen this before down there . I presumed it was just snow falling in the forecast

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Sorry for being a burden are we talking what we seen back 2 weeks ago in north Dublin or less ?

No one knows. Just read the thread for a couple of minutes and you will get a decent understanding. It's an inexact science.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Just watched Gerry Murphy on RTÉ , Some of the maps showing precipitation reaching S Donegal tomorrow night, I might get some snow from it yet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

pad199207 wrote: »
    Does being in a ‘far northern location’ guarantee snow?

Obviously it provides colder atmospheric conditions and a longer time in the colder air..quite clearly Pad.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Donegal Ken

UPDATE

Status Yellow - Snow/Ice warning for Dublin, Louth, Meath, Cavan and Monaghan
    Met Éireann Weather Warning

Update: Scattered hail or snow showers continuing for a time this evening with some accumulations in places and icy stretches on untreated surfaces.

Valid: 16:00 Wednesday 10/02/2021 to 20:00 Wednesday 10/02/2021

Issued: 16:43 Wednesday 10/02/2021

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Picky owner

Just came across the thread,very interesting,when do you think the snow will arrive in Waterford, am I right in saying we won't have it for long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Temp taking a nose dive in the last hour.
    Currently 0.9C Dp -4.3C

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Obviously it provides colder atmospheric conditions and a longer time in the colder air..quite clearly Pad.

Very good. Thanks for clearing that up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

No one knows. Just read the thread for a couple of minutes and you will get a decent understanding. It's an inexact science.

I think we all know its not an exact science, but reading back through this thread doesn't help anyone who has no knowledge. We had people thinking Thursday could be red warning for tomorrow for the south.

There is alot of extremes going on and mainly due to models switching.
    I think what most are looking for is a rough forecast for the next two days.

I understand this is a technical thread but seems to have better info than the other thread, that started 72 hours too early

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Finally after 3 days of temperatures generally just above freezing and a lack of freezing conditions, it is beginning to get much colder here now in Meath. The winds have died down completely and frost/ice is taking hold quickly and the ground is turning harder rapidly. This was very much a missing ingredient up to now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Gonzo wrote: »
    Finally after 3 days of temperatures generally just above freezing and a lack of freezing conditions, it is beginning to get much colder here now in Meath. The winds have died down completely and frost/ice is taking hold quickly and the ground is turning harder rapidly. This was very much a missing ingredient up to now.

Agreed. Went out in Lucan earlier and first time I felt a proper chill during this cold spell. The ground would want to harden up a bit for any snow to lie. We have had two dustings the past two nights but both times largely melted by midday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭circadian

Seeing some very heavy showers just to the southwest of Beaumont D9, nice and bright here but wherever that is it looks like there's a big dumping at the minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m66i0TPCPhc
    Look at the graphics for tomorrow morning/afternoon

Anyone want to hazard a guess if there will be Amber warning counties?
    Tipperary/Kilkenny/Carlow/Laois for me

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

circadian wrote: »
    Seeing some very heavy showers just to the southwest of Beaumont D9, nice and bright here but wherever that is it looks like there's a big dumping at the minute.

the last of the showers. Just as the cold air starts to get going proper and the ground freezes over. Those showers should start dying out now with high pressure killing off any shower activity. It is very important we now get a dry, clear and very frosty night for ground conditions to be optimal for tomorrow night/Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I've looked at different models and radars for tomorrow for me, snow wise I'm hoping for 10cm before it turns back to rain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,661 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Danno wrote: »
    I think it was either 2006 or 2007 but an atlantic front came through and dumped quite a lot of snow, and all the front fell as snow.

It was certainly a surprise and I remember Evelyn Cusack being surprised by it too on the Six-One weather that evening. There was no deep pool or prolonged easterly before the event, it kind of came out of the blue in a mild winter!

7/8 February 2007 by any chance Danno?

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Gonzo wrote: »
    the last of the showers. Just as the cold air starts to get going proper and the ground freezes over. Those showers should start dying out now with high pressure killing off any shower activity. It is very important we now get a dry, clear and very frosty night for ground conditions to be optimal for tomorrow night/Friday.

I'm getting sooooo excited!!!!
    It'll be the highlight of my week/month/year...

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

After waking up to a good dusting in D.24, it ended up being a lovely bright, sunny day. Snow didn't melt much in the shaded spots but lots of sun, so much so, my solar lights are lit up out the back garden now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,368 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

OP you got to let me know
    Will it rain or will it snow

It's always tease tease tease
    You're happy when we're beggin please
    One day it's 'Snow'' and next its slack
    So if you want me off your back
    Well come on and let me know
    Will it rain or will it snow

Will it rain or will it snow now?
    Will it rain or will it snow now?