Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

amor3 wrote: »
    After waking up to a good dusting in D.24, it ended up being a lovely bright, sunny day. Snow didn't melt much in the shaded spots but lots of sun, so much so, my solar lights are lit up out the back garden now!

Mine too, didn’t last long but so good to see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Exactly yes, you can’t get up to the top it with the snow today. Scenic part of the country.

My aunt lives right up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ZeroSum76

AuntySnow wrote: »
    I'd rather you didn't eat yellow snow but down here in Arklow, I have a dew point of minus 6c all day and an air temp of around 2c with a wetbulb temp of minus 1.3c
    That is despite a wind off the sea
    Weather models are consistently showing 2 fronts one tomorrow night and a 2nd Friday night falling as snow in East wicklow
    The wind off the sea has little to no marine layer today
    Ditto tomorrow and Friday
    So that precipitation is in my opinion primed for snow and could get heavy
    Id expect Certainly plenty to build large snowmen

Love the optimism but the general consensus (if there ever is such a thing on boards) on the technical thread coupled with Met forecast seems to indicate this one is done. Again hope that's inaccurate. Time too log off methinks and just see what happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Snow forecast for Thursday and Friday one of the lead stories on rte.ie home page

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0210/1196315-snow-forecast-by-friday-for-most-counties/

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭irishlad.

Snow forecast for Thursday and Friday one of the lead stories on rte.ie home page

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0210/1196315-snow-forecast-by-friday-for-most-counties/

If this snow does nothing else, at least it has diverted attention from Covid for just a little while.

Bring it on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭bazlers

Beautiful crisp clear evening. About 17. 50 before it was nearly dark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Council in North Cork getting ready with snow ploughs apparently, a bit of an over reaction?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Villain wrote: »

So, going by the scale on the bottom, green is snow and rain :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭aisling86

irishfeen wrote: »
    Council in North Cork getting ready with snow ploughs apparently, a bit of an over reaction?

I can almost guarantee it will snow either side of me in macroom and miss us! Its been so dry here all week hope we get even a small bit tomorrow.

• Advertisement

So, going by the scale on the bottom, green is snow and rain :confused:

The green is heavier snow where it has white around it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Temperature dropped like a stone in the space of a couple of hours here in meath, -2.2c from +2.5c, frosty night ahead and dry sunny day tomorrow hopefully

The green is heavier snow where it has white around it :D

:D Ah yeah, I'm just messing around, nothing better for doing while we wait for this, surely they have more colours they could use though.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭EnzoScifo

You've obviously never been on the road to Nad!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

EnzoScifo wrote: »
    You've obviously never been on the road to Nad!

I have actually :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Sorry for being a burden are we talking what we seen back 2 weeks ago in north Dublin or less ?

In your situation I would hope for the best BUT prepare for the worst? No one can give an exact forecast so far more sensible to assume there will be snow? Better than getting caught out.

And I hope all goes well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭EnzoScifo

I have actually :)

Then you should know it's not an overreaction!

ECM snow depth charts aren't great but the upgrade on last few runs is obvious:

https://twitter.com/CarlowWeather/status/1359574698485575685?s=20

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

ECM/Harmonie seems to be out on its own with regards timing of the event. Majority of the other models have the front arriving later by a number of hours. We will see tomorrow who is right.
    I'm still surprised Met Eireann haven't called this an Orange Level Warning especially if they are using Harmonie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The sun on the windows warmed the place wonderfully. Very still and silent now.

About the forecasts. And my groceries! Leaving it to the ferry folk as they know what they are at as the community bus folk do. I have plenty of supplies in and can make bannocks etc.

OK? OK!

Good night!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭KingJeremy

No snow forecast on the met app for my location tomorrow - but 12 hours of sleet from 3pm to 3am. Does sleet ever accumulate to anything? Or can I just expect a wet slushy mess on Friday morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Quite inclement weather indeed Gerry...

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Fingers, toes, knees, eyes crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭bazlers

ECM/Harmonie seems to be out on its own with regards timing of the event. Majority of the other models have the front arriving later by a number of hours. We will see tomorrow who is right.
    I'm still surprised Met Eireann haven't called this an Orange Level Warning especially if they are using Harmonie.

It could be a higher elevation event yet. Its touch and go. They will call it closer to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Graces7 wrote: »
    The sun on the windows warmed the place wonderfully. Very still and silent now.

About the forecasts. And my groceries! Leaving it to the ferry folk as they know what they are at as the community bus folk do. I have plenty of supplies in and can make bannocks etc.

OK? OK!

Good night!
    Keep warm Grace. I’m cold thinking of you out there

ECM snow depth charts aren't great but the upgrade on last few runs is obvious:

https://twitter.com/CarlowWeather/status/1359574698485575685?s=20

I guess we will build those snowmen in the dark on Thursday incase the rain comes afterwards.

KingJeremy wrote: »
    No snow forecast on the met app for my location tomorrow - but 12 hours of sleet from 3pm to 3am. Does sleet ever accumulate to anything? Or can I just expect a wet slushy mess on Friday morning?

Better looking at your lamp post than going by that app

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Friday night and Saturday is looking like a more notable event than tomorrow. Good cross model agreement at this range also. Could see a early warning issued by Met Éireann tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

With a wind warning now for tomorrow as well, i presume there will be some drifting if snow is falling. Thoughts anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

I guess we will build those snowmen in the dark on Thursday incase the rain comes afterwards.

I did that in 2012. I got the kids (9 and 7) out of bed at 10pm on a Tuesday night. Great craic. Snow was all gone in the morning but the snowman survived !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement