Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,218 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Yeah, Cork is the same. From 7 to 11 it's rain snow but from 11 to 3 its snow rain? I know you understand Airport TAFs JCX BXC but for dummies like me a spelled out version is at https://en.allmetsat.com/metar-taf/united-kingdom-ireland.php?icao=EICK

It's a strange one indeed, Gaoth Laidir has referenced it in either this thread or one in this forum. The parts referencing precip are as follows.

BECMG 1105/1107 4000 -RASN BKN008
    TEMPO 1107/1121 2500 -RASN BKN003
    PROB40 TEMPO 1107/1121 1500 RASN
    PROB30 TEMPO 1107/1112 0800 SNRA
    PROB40 TEMPO 1112/1115 0800 SNRA

To spell it out, that translates as

Becoming 5am-7am 4000m vis with light rain/snow
    Temporary 7am-9pm 2500m vis with light rain/snow
    Probability 40% Temporary 7am-9pm 1500m vis with moderate rain/snow
    Probability 30% Temporary 7am-12pm 0800m vis with moderate snow/rain
    Probability 40% Temporary 12pm-3pm 0800m vis with moderate snow/rain

It appears that they're expecting it to start off with more rainy sleet at 5am, with the possibility of snowier sleet from 7am, and this chance increasing at 12pm!

Strange one, however it's very much splitting hairs and not likely to reflect actual conditions tomorrow.

Stuck in a train of cloud here in West Clare from the light showers moving up over Cork. Temp stubbornly at 1.6°c.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭pauldry

Think most of the Southwest will get rain tomorrow but the rest of the country should get snowfall 3 to 5cm

More in Ulster and on mountains

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Stuck in a train of cloud here in West Clare from the light showers moving up over Cork. Temp stubbornly at 1.6°c.

Light dandruff blowing around now, up to 1.8°c however it's sticking on the BBQ cover.

Altnaharra Saws
    -17.7c

According to NW.

Normally carn gorm is the coldest part of these island, summer or winter. It’s only -9 tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Currently -18.6 at Altnaharra and perhaps more impressive, -11 at both Glasgow and Edinburgh airports. At lower elevations of England and Wales some readings around -6 in several different regions. Lowest in Ireland is -3 at Knock and Mountdillon (at 01z, rose to -2 at 02z). Another impressive reading is -11 at Eindhoven, NL. Many readings in central Germany -15 to -20 range. This was a frigid air mass that underwent considerable moderation over the Irish Sea,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭Mr Bumble

I'm 5k back from Greystones on the eastern side of the glen of the downs at about 75masl and I've had light snow for the last few hours. All graupel since Sunday, first proper flakes. Broken cloud and stars. Temp @ 0 deg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

It’s only 20 miles from NI to Scotland. The poor minima is caused by wind. If you examine the temp maps you will see the low temps are in regions of no wind.

This evening my station had a rapid drop in temperature down to -2c by 7pm. By 8pm a stiff wind kicked in and rose the temp to -1c. Since then it’s been -0.5c with a strong SE wind.

We also had an opportunity for a low minima scuppered last night.. temps were falling rapidly, we had reached -3c only for a streamer to roll in and raise the temps.

There have been so many nights that could’ve been <-5c this winter scuppered by wind and cloud.

I am ready for this cold spell to be thrown into the dustbins of history and to move onto the next “event”. I have had enough of easterlies, they never deliver here. The only way to get genuine, proper and reliable cold is from the north. Northerlies do not have a bias to GB and often produce far more snow in NI than anywhere in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

Snowbie wrote: »
    ECM 18z upgrades precip again and moves it quicker up the island. Midnight run will be interesting

That's good, can you post this chart if possible please.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

It’s not good it means quicker entrainment of warmer air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    It’s not good it means quicker entrainment of warmer air.

I was referring to the precip upgrade, the mild is coming anyway .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Raining in west cork now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭bassy

Wind has picked up here in north kilkenny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭Thepillowman

Windy this morning in East Clare, haven't ventured out yet. Think it could be a day for doing the bare minimum outdoors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Bit worried about the northward reach of the snow, cannot see too much falling here before the rain returns. Luck of the draw I guess. The end game is nearing for this spell and I'll be glad to see the end of its sorry ass...

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

Just stepped outside and my god the wind and cold would cut through you it's absolutely baltic. Carlow Town

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

Dewpoint of -6.6 at my weather station in Carlow Town. Strong gusts of wind presently with temperature at 0 degrees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

I have really enjoyed this weather and I will be sad to see it go!

I am ready for this cold spell to be thrown into the dustbins of history and to move onto the next “event”. I have had enough of easterlies, they never deliver here. The only way to get genuine, proper and reliable cold is from the north. Northerlies do not have a bias to GB and often produce far more snow in NI than anywhere in England.

That was some change in about 8 hours.

Holding steady at 0oC here after a low of -2 over night. Dewpoint of -6.5oC.
    Sporadic gusts that would cut the face off you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Cw85 wrote: »
    Just stepped outside and my god the wind and cold would cut through you it's absolutely baltic. Carlow Town

Just got to work. Have to say the wind makes it unbelievably cold. Wrap up well anyone heading out

• Registered Users Posts: 23,875 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

lastsnowradar_uk.gif

Some models this morning struggle to see snow in North Leinster today but elsewhere away from immediate southwest coastal areas should be OK. This is a nowcast from now on so be interesting to see the observations from boardsies.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

That heavy band of precipitation is now over west Cork and Kerry.

Any reports from there?
    I am expecting nothing more interesting than cold rain :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

igCorcaigh wrote: »

Any reports from there?

In my location (Mid-Kerry) its just Cold rain

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭TopOfTheHill

Heavy rain here in West Cork :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DanielL18

igCorcaigh wrote: »

Any reports from there?

Raining all the way between macroom and cork city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

Poxy morning in Clontarf, Wind, Rain and cold :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭quartz1

Cork City cold dry and breezy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Very windy and cold near Mallow with what looks like cold rain imminent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Morning
    Am I right in thinking that this has arrived in the West a lillte bit ahead of time?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Ish66 wrote: »
    Poxy morning in Clontarf, Wind, Rain and cold :mad:

Rain in Clontarf???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    Morning
    Am I right in thinking that this has arrived in the West a lillte bit ahead of time?

It’s looking a bit ahead of time and moving faster.

It’s going to be slushy mess/rain. The Atlantic push is mixing out the cold with ease.

Once Met Éireann said snow we were doomed from then.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement