Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Rain in Clontarf???

Doesn't sound right !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Very cold here but dry. I'm not a big fan of snow so seems we got lucky this week as it looked like we might have got big accumulations. However I think we did get enough to give the snow lovers their fix however. So it was a bit of a win win for everyone

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Doesn't sound right !

Sea spray maybe! :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Very cold here but dry. I'm not a big fan of snow so seems we got lucky this week as it looked like we might have got big accumulations. However I think we did get enough to give the snow lovers their fix however. So it was a bit of a win win for everyone

Reported. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭flower tattoo

Just brought the dogs out in North kilkenny
    Dry,not desperately cold and no wind. Pretty high up here also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭matc66

As dry as as bone here in Clontarf, Dublin.

Sea spray maybe! :)

Ha weirdly might be, used to work up there and you would get soaked sometimes by the seafront !

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

We? Speak for yourself! :)

As a snow lover unless my house is buried I am not happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,875 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Inland Cork Kerry should be see that rain turning to snow. Conditions are good for this away from windward coasts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    Morning
    Am I right in thinking that this has arrived in the West a lillte bit ahead of time?

Based on Met Eireann Harmonie animation posted last night it looks almost bang on time.

www.meteireann.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

Doesn't look like much on satellite. Is it going to convect in a southeast to northwest flow?

Never quite sure if you are for real?

Like saying at Christmas that it looked like he might, but we got lucky that Santa didn't come!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭topcat72

Dry cold morning Limerick city, ground is very dry , so IF we get snow it should settle. Hefty wind chill this morning, winds have increased over the last hour. Heavy overcast sky, no precipitation of any sort as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Sounds odd because I am in D5 and it’s been bone dry since yesterday evening and we had very light snow in the past hour.
    Rain in Clontarf???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Windy and dry in Swords... The wind is cold but not as biting as I was expecting
    And of course as expected not a flake in sight

Windy and dry in Swords... The wind is cold but not as biting as I was expecting
    And of course as expected not a flake in sight

As forecast you mean....

Wind/cold would take your breath away in Dublin 16.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I continue to think this could overperform (in terms of most model guidance) because there is such a reservoir of cold over Britain and once the southeast wind flow begins to pull some of that out over the Irish Sea and Celtic Sea, there could be considerable enhancement. Temps may look marginal but dew points are low so saturation points for this air mass are close to -2 C. As some have commented, it's coming in fairly fast but will run into that wall of cold within the next hour or two, should turn readily to snow inland at elevations of 50m and higher, so Cork city could have mixed and variable precip types, further inland it could be all snow for several hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Just brought the dogs out in North kilkenny
    Dry,not desperately cold and no wind. Pretty high up here also

I'm going to do the same Im within 5km of the crag, just about haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

I continue to think this could overperform (in terms of most model guidance) because there is such a reservoir of cold over Britain and once the southeast wind flow begins to pull some of that out over the Irish Sea and Celtic Sea, there could be considerable enhancement. Temps may look marginal but dew points are low so saturation points for this air mass are close to -2 C. As some have commented, it's coming in fairly fast but will run into that wall of cold within the next hour or two, should turn readily to snow inland at elevations of 50m and higher, so Cork city could have mixed and variable precip types, further inland it could be all snow for several hours.
    Sounds promising for the Athlone area:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

As forecast you mean.....

Yes, as expected as I said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Shytey cold easterly blowing rain here, just outside of cork city (west) at 120m asl.

I'm off to bed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

Thank god for M.t was starting to panic looking at some reports
    https://images.app.goo.gl/JafYYTz4YHJpPWGj8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,639 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    I'm going to do the same Im within 5km of the crag, just about haha.

OMG !! I hate that hill !!!!!! :eek:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The cold is appalling and shocking out here.

I had to go outside as one of my outdoor cats did not come for food. and I was beaten back by the vicious icy wind. I will try again when it gets fully light.

Dangerously cold though, so please take care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Yes, as expected as I said

You do realise how it sounds? Unless that's what you intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Birtles

mikeecho wrote: »
    Shytey cold easterly blowing rain here, just outside of cork city (west) at 120m asl.

I'm off to bed

same here, rain lashing down

130m asl, 20 mls west of Cork City

Cork AP reporting sleet at 0730. 2c DP 0c.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Cork City....looks like rain Ted :-(

• Advertisement

Snow being reported nowhere?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement