Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

I'd say South-east Tipp south Kilkenny and parts of Waterford may be the sweet spot judging by most of the hi res models. Will be interesting to see how the radar matches up to the models as the day progresses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Part of MTs' forecast...
    The ballpark estimate where it does snow would be in the range of 3 to 8 cms, but some places could get just traces to 3 cms. Higher terrain may see 10-20 cm falls, in particular the eastern slopes of the Wicklow mountains look to be primed, as there could be sea-effect snow falling on higher slopes there. Coastal areas all around the south and east are going to be subject to some melting or just a change to cold rain at times.

Don't like the sound of that for Bray but I fear it will come to pass. In 2018 right on the Seafront and a few hundred meters back, during the Gale-force winds of EMMA, the Blizzard Snow was melting as fast as it fell. Started with 5cm of dry snow from a streamer a day or two before Emma and ended Emma with the same 5cm of now wet slushy snow.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I'm aware proof is imperative, so here it is.

Some melt noticeable in the foreground, that's residual heat from the house.

542960.jpg

Becoming more and more noticeable by the minute, roads, paths, grass, it's quite indiscriminate. Intensifying and sticking better.

Did you attach the wrong photo?? :D

56b05dea1800002c0080b120.jpeg?cache=p5t4iwsxc4&ops=1778_1000

I have no idea what I'm looking at!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

[IMG]https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=542960&d=1613031913 Becoming more and more noticeable by the minute, roads, paths, grass, it's quite indiscriminate. Intensifying and sticking better.[/img]

I have no idea what that is :confused::)

Oh I think I can make out something if you turn it clockwise 90 degrees...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Starting to snow in Tipperary now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Sleety rain near Mallow and very cold. Typical Atlantic muck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,218 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

542960.jpg

Becoming more and more noticeable by the minute, roads, paths, grass, it's quite indiscriminate. Intensifying and sticking better.

That was extremely premature to post, sticking much much better now, rapidly becoming white out conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭topcat72

That was extremely premature to post, sticking much much better now, rapidly becoming white out conditions.

was it preceded by rain or sleet, or straight to snow?

You still haven't explained WTF we are looking at. That could be the side of your Zanussi Fridge for all we know? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26 T2Pauly

Calibos wrote: »
    You still haven't explained WTF we are looking at. That could be the side of your Zanussi Fridge for all we know? :D

Hahahaha cracker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

542962.jpg

35 mins of snow, Abbeyfeale 860ft

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Very fine snow started now, blowing over concrete like salt and not melting. SE Tipp 150m

• Registered Users Posts: 26 T2Pauly

Rathcoole Co.Dublin , strong southeasterly winds. Overcast from all the Atlantic grey matter on the way hopefully we get snow ❄️ ❄️

topcat72 wrote: »
    was it preceded by rain or sleet, or straight to snow?

Straight to snow.

You're looking at the roof of an extension!

All surfaces an unblemished white now, temp down to 0.9°c and dropping. Visibility down quote low. Holds well for anywhere further inland, quite coastal here. Lack of onshore breeze being the big difference between here and cork. Precip may faulter soon, much to my disappointment. For now, it's quite something to look at.

Straight to snow.

You're looking at the roof of an extension!

All surfaces an unblemished white now, temp down to 0.9°c. Visibility down quote low.

Must be intensify which is turning it to snow. Light sleety rain where I am.

Hold on it’s turning into bigger flakes now! Snowing near Mallow lightly.

Graces7 wrote: »
    A window with snow on it.

No. It’s a roof.

Just as an idea of how well it's begun to settle. Currently 0.6°c.

542963.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Temp has risen to 3.2c with a DP of 0.6c here in Waterford City. Very windy with gusts to 50km/h. To be honest not liking those temps for our snow chances later but hopefully the colder upper air temp and precipitation help bring that colder layer to the surface.

https://www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

No. It’s a roof.

I was nearly right! Deleted that idea now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Shower of graupel here in waterford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

It's just lashing rain in Cork city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Nothing but dirty sleetly rain here in the south side of Cork City.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 TeaCup2

Temp has risen to 3.2c with a DP of 0.6c here in Waterford City. Very windy with gusts to 50km/h. To be honest not liking those temps for our snow chances later but hopefully the colder upper air temp and precipitation help bring that colder layer to the surface.

https://www.waterfordcityweather.com

Oh no Mick don't say that. I hope we get something out of this but it's so marginal down here I'm not holding my breath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

That wind would cut ya in half and quarter ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

ch750536 wrote: »
    542962.jpg

35 mins of snow, Abbeyfeale 860ft

Ohhh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Snowing has halted, hope its just taking a tea break

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

Very few tiny flakes in the freezing wind in D15. Sky is quite grey though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Woke up to heavy sleety rain and puddles in cork city :(

My three year is asking why I keep standing and looking out the window. I think it’s time to give up on this sleety mess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pp_me

Thinking its gonna be rain in Waterford City.. Not overly surprised, but still sad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement