Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I hope I get rain and not snow, who wants snow when its going to be 13 or 14c in a few days time? Its almost like an insult after all that chasing of exciting charts for weeks now.
    The Irish climate is like having salt rubbed into your wounds! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Only woke a few mins ago, without opening the curtains I could hear a gale blowing hard with driving rain (with a little sleet mixed in I now see by looking at my velux window in the attic). A truly awful morning here. No shortage of precipitation though and thus, given snow reports from Tipp, I reckon a lot of ye further North are in for a treat. Enjoy! (can I ungrit my teeth yet?)

My three year is asking why I keep standing and looking out the window. I think it’s time to give up on this sleety mess.

Are you north of, south of, or in Mallow? Thought by Mallow this would be snow....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭topcat72

Some very fine windblown snow Limerick city suburbs. Horizontal with the wind..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Grim morning in East Cork, has looked marginal for us in recent days and unsurprisingly that’s how it turned out.

The spell of cold sunny weather late December early Jan was far superior to this past week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

Temp has risen to 3.2c with a DP of 0.6c here in Waterford City. Very windy with gusts to 50km/h. To be honest not liking those temps for our snow chances later but hopefully the colder upper air temp and precipitation help bring that colder layer to the surface.

https://www.waterfordcityweather.com
    https://meteologix.com/ie/model-charts/french-hd/dewpoint.html
    There seems to be a tongue of above 0 dewpoints in the vicinity of Waterford City. Hopefully, that passes. My rainfall phone app is confidently predicting rain for West Waterford but turning to snow for East Waterford so fingers crossed! I'm in the far South of Co. Kilkenny so I think we'll both of us see either rain or snow. The big positive is that, looking at the rainfall radar,
    https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/observation/rainfall-radar#?map=Rainfall&fcTime=1612990800&zoom=5&lon=-4.00&lat=55.01
    there seems to be decent intensity in the precipitation which gives it a better chance of making it to the ground as snow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Dry here but a bitter gale. Even my semi feral cats have gone into hiding.

Darkening skies. And loud loud wind gusts.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,875 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

lastsnowradar_uk.gif

Exepct this front to start to weaken as it move further northeast. It is expected to reinvigorate somewhat over the southeast later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Probably the nicest day of the year so far here in North Kildare. Cold, Crisp and dry

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Are you north of, south of, or in Mallow? Thought by Mallow this would be snow....

Just north of it. It’s sleety rain. With some intensity it might be snow I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

no more snow on my weather app now for cork. officially a bust here.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Feels much colder than yesterday in Dublin 15...still some snow lying in the garden.... If the front gets up here it will definitely snow....

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

Snowing in Shannon at the moment, looks fairly heavy out there, but will it continue! 🙂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

pp_me wrote: »
    Thinking its gonna be rain in Waterford City.. Not overly surprised, but still sad.

Agreed, sleety mix in here in mid Waterford. Frontal snow is a tease.

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    Feels much colder than yesterday in Dublin 15...still some snow lying in the garden.... If the front gets up here it will definitely snow....

Definitely in West Dublin. As you say, your only challenge is getting the precipitation in the first place bit given the intensity here it bodes well for ye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭topcat72

Straight to snow limerick city north, large fluffy flakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ThaitaniumM

Dry snow blowing about in Limerick Suburbs, sticking to the soil and roof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭RoisinD

JCX BXC wrote: »
    It's beginning, and it's snowfall. Nice flakes but still quite light, blowing around in the wind.
    Just hitting NW Clare coast (not famous for snow :D) and it is the same. Definite snowflakes blowing in the wind. More than likely change now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

I hope I get rain and not snow, who wants snow when its going to be 13 or 14c in a few days time? Its almost like an insult after all that chasing of exciting charts for weeks now.
    The Irish climate is like having salt rubbed into your wounds! :(

I understand the disappointment because a week ago this period was looking like it could be something epic. However, I don't understand not wanting the snow because it only lasts a day or two. Look on the bright-side. Adults and Kids get to enjoy some decent snow for a day or two and before they have a chance to get bored of it, its gone and the country didn't have to grind to a total halt for a week or more. That'd be like me in Bray and Slashermcgurk in Clontarf?? saying we wished we didn't get the 5cm of snow on our respective Seafront locations back in January that lasted 2 more days because whats the point if we didn't get 15cm that stayed on the ground for more than a week? On the contrary, that Ninja Snow Bray got back in January will have saved this Winter for me if this current period turns out to be a total damp squip here in Bray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,218 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

RoisinD wrote: »
    Just hitting NW Clare coast (not famous for snow :D) and it is the same. Definite snowflakes blowing in the wind. More than likely change now.

About 2/3cm settled here now in West Clare, much worse for snow, I reckon you'll be fine!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

This sounds to be working exactly as forecasted. Rain sleet for southern coastal counties before turning to snow across Inland South East/West Munster

Clare/Limerick might be doing better than expected which would be in line with MT believing it could over perform :D

Edit: Anyone around Mitchesltown or Cahir?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    This sounds to be working exactly as forecasted. Rain sleet for southern coastal counties before turning to snow across Inland South East/West Muster

Clare/Limerick might be doing better than expected which would be in line with MT believing it could over perform :D

Keep us updated on your location in the next couple of hours. You should see some good accumulations.

Front maybe seems to be slowing down a small bit in the last 20 minutes

A bit more of a wet snow / sleet mix now. Snowflakes clearly visible, but ground saturated from the original rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Keep us updated on your location in the next couple of hours. You should see some good accumulations.

Front maybe seems to be slowing down a small bit in the last 20 minutes

Been out for my walk. Very strong winds and clouds rolling in the last hour after a fantastic sunrise.

I would say after 11am before I see a few flakes.

But yeah, thanks will do :D

Where is Robertkk, has he a weather station?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

froog wrote: »
    no more snow on my weather app now for cork. officially a bust here.

If snow was not forecast, how do you class it as a bust? Did you read any forecasts, or just hope for snow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,442 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Very cold with a biting breeze in Dublin but dry as a bone. Funny to see the ground drying out as it has the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    This sounds to be working exactly as forecasted. Rain sleet for southern coastal counties before turning to snow across Inland South East/West Munster

Edit: Anyone around Mitchesltown or Cahir?

I think where the precipitation has some intensity it turns to snow. Here in north cork so far it more like snizzle with no power to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

If snow was not forecast, how do you class it as a bust? Did you read any forecasts, or just hope for snow?

the same weather app was predicting a few hours of snow today until an hour ago, as well as various models, the news, blogs, newspapers and posters on here.

Some nice dry snowflakes floating down like Forest Gump's feather in and amongst the sleet and wet snow.... God bless it but its trying to snow all the same...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,885 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Just had 15 seconds of graupel in D24

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement