Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

A tiny bit of snozzle here too

A bit of snizzle in Dublin 16 too, although with the wind, it could well be sea spray! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Just sleety rain falling and nothing sticking in my location south of Cork city.. This cold spell has been very disappointing in terms of snowfall or lack of same. We actually had some lying snow which lasted for a few hours in a brief cold snap a few weeks ago which is more than anything we got this last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

So Cork City, on the south coast, was always going to struggle to get snow, from anything I read anyway , turning to snow the further north it travelled.

not sure what you were reading. there's been a yellow alert for all of munster for a good few days now, 5cm snow predicted. cork city council issued a severe weather warning for today and were salting roads all day yesterday. all weather models were predicting snow for cork up until a late change this morning.

https://corksafetyalerts.com/news/cork-city-council-issues-severe-weather-warning/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    Cork City never fails to dissapoint...... No longer the 'Real Capital' but the 'Rain Capital' ����

Good one!

Up to a centimetre here, all expectations surpassed. Delighted for you JCX BXC, West Clare coastline rarely witnesses such scenes. I wonder if a certain poster will come bounding back into the thread, after the longest goodbye in recorded history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭the2hurdys

Coming down very nicely now in Tipp!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 2L of Urine

Unlucky with the tectonic plate movements over the last couple of billion years here in north Kildare, Wicklow looks to be steeling our 2cm later.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Front moved about 55km east in the hour between 7:40 and 8:40. In the hour between 8:40 and 9:40 it has moved 25km so a definite slowdown now as the cold air puts up a fight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

Snowing in cork city ...not sticking :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Speak Now wrote: »
    Consistently gusting up to 35knots here in Waterford, real feel very cold despite the mercury reading!

Raining though in waterford , what's the chances of snow accumulating today here .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 TeaCup2

We have sleet in South Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Rain/sleet go away. Come back another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,875 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Rain/sleet go away. Come back another day.

Is today inconvenient? It might be back tomorrow night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

TeaCup2 wrote: »

I would be hopeful that that will turn to snow as the real precipitation hasn't arrived yet. I've had graupel this morning so I'm counting today as another day with snow falling!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Delighted for people in Clare and limerick, they often miss out on snow so great to see it deliver this time around. Further proof that Cork is a bit of a disaster for snow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

TeaCup2 wrote: »

It's unusual that it was snow from the get go in Limerick and West Clare but not in South KK......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Where in South Kilkenny?

Nothing yet Tullaroan Kilkenny

That offshore wind quite helpful to many Atlantic coasts as the radar shows.

lastsnowradar_uk.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Gizit

Moderate snow in East Clare started about 10 minutes ago. Was impressive watching the wall of snow roll over Moylussa

I would be hopeful that that will turn to snow as the real precipitation hasn't arrived yet. I've had graupel this morning so I'm counting today as another day with snow falling!

I hope so squid, I really do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I can't say i am surprised at what happened in parts of Cork. Its tough on the kids, both big and small, who were hoping for a snow day. Hopefully before the winters out snow will happen there.
    Anyway very blustery here at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭weisses

small bit of rain in w kerry ... nothing major

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    Where in South Kilkenny?

Nothing yet Tullaroan Kilkenny

About half way between Waterford and Mooncoinn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭RoisinD

• Registered Users Posts: 26 T2Pauly

Every forecast with this front seems different with the timing, should we expect it to hit the greater Dublin area this evening if at all ? Location is Rathcoole co Dublin ? TIA

I can't say i am surprised at what happened in parts of Cork. Its tough on the kids, both big and small, who were hoping for a snow day. Hopefully before the winters out snow will happen there.
    Anyway very blustery here at the minute.

I've taken a half day today, thought we'd get something that might stick for a few hours, think I'll just go back to bed when I'm finished. ☺️☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Just had the rain turn to heavy snow and had a blizzard like condition for a minute in cork city, what could have been! Far to wet for any of it to stick though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

149309147_281378550073127_5669042489388340205_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&ccb=3&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=8wiHGJfENtsAX-bXy_1&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=d95b28527d10d6215745d0445309be64&oe=604AB7DA
    Snow Askeaton Co. Lmerick this morning.

T2Pauly wrote: »
    Every forecast with this front seems different with the timing, should we expect it to hit the greater Dublin area this evening if at all ? Location is Rathcoole co Dublin ? TIA

May be light to moderate snow in Co Dublin overnight. Not expecting anything during daylight hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,218 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Up to 0.8°c (min of 0.3°c) and noticeable melt on some surfaces. Snowfall much lighter. Marginality creeping in. Ah well, a good 3/4cm covering on most surfaces, much more where the wind has collected it against walls and stuff.

Lovely to see, only real snowfall of note since March 2018. Still falling as pure snow, perhaps if precip intensifies again it'll cover some more.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement