Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

I can hear rain on the roof of the conservatory, but its still snowing too. Getting windy as well. Who do I pray to for a blizzard?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,875 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I can hear rain on the roof of the conservatory, but its still snowing too. Getting windy as well. Who do I pray to for a blizzard?

Location?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

Still light to moderate snow. Had a brief covering earlier but melting faster than its snowing at the moment.
    5k south of Tuam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭mulbot

BullBauld wrote: »
    It's too cold to snow!

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

BullBauld wrote: »
    It's too cold to snow!

All of the Dubs are saying this. Patience needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Seymour20

Sticking to the grass here, suspect it’s taken on a more sleetly composition but such is the nature of frontal snow events anywhere near the coast.
    Outside Westport, Mayo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,153 ✭✭✭pauldry

Still sunny in Sligo.

Wed be better off getting this snow at night. If it comes today it will just blow all over the place and melt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

It's cold rain outside cork city now but occasional white flakes ....

Location?

Sorry! My biggest bugbear, people not adding their location. I had added it a few posts up.

East Galway. Near Craughwell. 4 miles east of Athenry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

Very light snow just starting co Wexford :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

Few miles south of Nenagh in North Tipp.

Snowing since just after 9.00 am and still coming down.

This was at 11.53:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Dry, overcast and breezy today. Enjoy the snow those that have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

While I don't expect much in Dublin 9 myself for a variety of reasons (front weakening, will the Wicklow Mts. bugger it up etc), there is still a 'big' feel to the weather out there.

A biting gusty wind. Feels oh so cold. Between 1.5-1.9 degrees max so far today but real feel is low than that.

It feels like something big is on the way but the computer models say mostly no :P Round 2 tomorrow night looks better for now.

Will take a 100% 1cm ground coverage tbh. Despite falling snow on several occasions since, only the snow of Jan 6th/7th actually put down snow fully on every surface here. Patchy dustings the theme since then.

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Dry, overcast and breezy today. Enjoy the snow those that have it.

I'm feckin' loving it.

Heavy snow in Galway, Mayo and Clare. Didn't see many predicting that. Just goes to show, with all the technology of sattelites, charts, hirlams, ecms, my mother having an ache in her big toe is still just as reliable a forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,875 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Frontal zone looks a little more active at this point than modelled.

The initial push intensity should be further declined by now which means this part may get a bit further north than originally forecast. It's one county away from Dub land.

lastsnowradar_uk.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭molly dolly

Baltic outside Carlow, some very whispy flakes. Just meet a council truck all set up with snow plough so they must be expecting a fun afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Donegal Ken

SATURDAY - NEW WARNINGS

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Cork, Kerry and Waterford
    Met Éireann Weather Warning

30 to 40 mm of rainfall with strong to gale force onshore southeast winds. River and coastal flooding risk.

Valid: 00:01 Saturday 13/02/2021 to 12:00 Saturday 13/02/2021

Issued: 12:00 Thursday 11/02/2021

Status Yellow - Snow/Ice warning for Connacht, Leinster, Cavan, Monaghan and Donegal

Snow accumulations of 5 cm possible (more on higher ground), accompanied by fresh to strong southeast winds.

Valid: 02:00 Saturday 13/02/2021 to 12:00 Saturday 13/02/2021

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Radar getting patchy, precipitation breaking up, very light here now. Best get out and build a snowman!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

It's one county away from Dub land.

:P

How many sleeps away?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Very big flakes in Galway now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

Can't believe there isn't a flake of snow in SoCoDu while my mate in Galway is getting a blizzard.

:mad::mad::(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Interesting, that snow warning must suggest the front is moving further north east than was expected. Perhaps Leinster and ulster coming into play now. Just shows these precipitation models are a lottery
    SATURDAY - NEW WARNINGS

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Cork, Kerry and Waterford

30 to 40 mm of rainfall with strong to gale force onshore southeast winds. River and coastal flooding risk.

Valid: 00:01 Saturday 13/02/2021 to 12:00 Saturday 13/02/2021

Status Yellow - Snow/Ice warning for Connacht, Leinster, Cavan, Monaghan and Donegal

Snow accumulations of 5 cm possible (more on higher ground), accompanied by fresh to strong southeast winds.

Valid: 02:00 Saturday 13/02/2021 to 12:00 Saturday 13/02/2021

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

Heavy snow in Galway, Mayo and Clare. Didn't see many predicting that. Just goes to show, with all the technology of sattelites, charts, hirlams, ecms, my mother having an ache in her big toe is still just as reliable a forecast.
    GFS, ECM, ICON, WRF and even the Arpege all predeicted snow in the West for the last 5 or so days. So technology beats chiropody!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Cork City drowned out of it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

DOCARCH wrote: »
    :P

How many sleeps away?

"so close, yet so far" :p:D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Interesting, that snow warning must suggest the front is moving further north east than was expected. Perhaps Leinster and ulster coming into play now. Just shows these precipitation models are a lottery

That's for Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭watlantic

Looking at the radar sequence, the front seems to be stalling and intensifying in NW Connemara/SW Mayo.
    Back to light 'snizzle' here, rel. hum up now to 88%, temp. down to 0.6ºC from previous report. Wind almost unchanged.
    BTW I'm at about 80 metres asl, above Westport town.

Highest dew point temp. so far today was minus -1.1ºC

• Registered Users Posts: 22 cold.stream

Dublin coast about 3 degrees, very windy. Sky very dark but only occasional very light spits of sleet. Not expecting much in the way of precipitation this evening/tonight but you never know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

What's the bets the clouds will run out of snow as soon as they make it to Tallaght.

Can't BELIEVE I bought new snow gloves for the kids for this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement