Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

watlantic wrote: »
    Looking at the radar sequence, the front seems to be stalling and intensifying in NW Connemara/SW Mayo.
    Back to light 'snizzle' here, rel. hum up now to 88%, temp. down to 0.6ºC from previous report. Wind almost unchanged.
    BTW I'm at about 80 metres asl, above Westport town.

Much heavier now just NW of Galway city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

I decided to screenshot the weather predictions throughout the week from about Sunday on Google weather for Dublin.

Snow kept getting pushed out a day, but at various points we were meant to be getting it

Monday, through the night from 7pm to 1pm Tuesday
    Tuesday 7pm onwards
    Thursday 1pm continous through the day
    Friday morning until 11pm, again by night time

Of all of the above, there were brief periods of dusty light falls that didn't stick even on dry ground, a rapid downfall of snow that caked the ground in 2 minutes but was gone with the morning rain, and a few bouts of soft snow that looked more like hail on Monday afternoon and didn't stick.

All of the above snow has now been pushed out to an 8 hour period up to noon Saturday.

I wouldn't hold my breath. Some amount of nonsense talked in the media this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Very heavy in Galway now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Heavy snow in Galway, Mayo and Clare. .

It's not heavy. Nice to watch blowing in the wind though. Reminds me of the wake of Emma. Light snow blowing in the wind for hours but not amounting to anything.

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Radar getting patchy, precipitation breaking up, very light here now. Best get out and build a snowman!

Spoke too soon, heaviest it has been all day! Blizzard like conditions!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Heavy snow in Galway, Mayo and Clare. Didn't see many predicting that. Just goes to show, with all the technology of sattelites, charts, hirlams, ecms, my mother having an ache in her big toe is still just as reliable a forecast.

In fairness, wasn't this morning's event forecast throughout the last week by many posters using the models, to spread right up across the country from the south west with accumulations of up to 5cms or more depending and a nationwide yellow warning issued by ME? The counties you listed got exactly that...the only downgrade seems to be eastern coastal counties that may not now get anything of note from today's front along with much of Kerry and Cork.

sean555 wrote: »
    GFS, ECM, ICON, WRF and even the Arpege all predeicted snow in the West for the last 5 or so days. So technology beats chiropody!

Ah feck, I must have missed it. Why didn't anyone mention it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Strongest winds we've had this winter. We're exposed to the Southeast but it's blowing near gale to gale force at times. Bitter cold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭finlma

Anyone north of Kilkenny in the east be prepared for disappointment. Its really light snow, tiny flakes swirling around. Not even a dusting after an hour of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

It says valid for today in met Éireann website

quote="DOCARCH;116243879"]That's for Saturday.[/quote]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Very windy, bordering on stormy now. The battle is well and truly on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Gah, very heavy snow showers now in Cork City but everything is soaked and its sticking nowhere. At least its prettier to look at then rain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Did the beast from the East become a guest in the West? There's a wind that would strip the skin off your face up here only getting cloudy now I think it might snow.

Sligo
    90m asl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Frontal zone looks a little more active at this point than modelled.

The initial push intensity should be further declined by now which means this part may get a bit further north than originally forecast. It's one county away from Dub land.

lastsnowradar_uk.gif

Yes :), should be arriving on Meath/Westmeath border just when I'm home from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭bazlers

I decided to screenshot the weather predictions throughout the week from about Sunday on Google weather for Dublin.

Snow kept getting pushed out a day, but at various points we were meant to be getting it

Monday, through the night from 7pm to 1pm Tuesday
    Tuesday 7pm onwards
    Thursday 1pm continous through the day
    Friday morning until 11pm, again by night time

Of all of the above, there were brief periods of dusty light falls that didn't stick even on dry ground, a rapid downfall of snow that caked the ground in 2 minutes but was gone with the morning rain, and a few bouts of soft snow that looked more like hail on Monday afternoon and didn't stick.

All of the above snow has now been pushed out to an 8 hour period up to noon Saturday.

I wouldn't hold my breath. Some amount of nonsense talked in the media this week.

A good asses cart load of it in here at times too:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Heavy snow in Galway, Mayo and Clare. Didn't see many predicting that. Just goes to show, with all the technology of sattelites, charts, hirlams, ecms, my mother having an ache in her big toe is still just as reliable a forecast.

Spoler alert: read the thread title

Spoke too soon, heaviest it has been all day! Blizzard like conditions!
    Show off... :P

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Heavy snow in *parts of * Galway, Mayo and Clare.

They are very big counties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Wind and more wind here outside Newport, Mayo. Seen some small bit of snow blowing in the wind but nothing to get excited about.

Edit: squarecircles video below this post is nothing like where I am, which is about 20 miles north. I'm hoping it makes it way to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭squarecircles

conditions in west mayo,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

meanwhile, in russia...

"This is a real snow storm, snow Armageddon, snow apocalypse, this not a drill, but combat," Mr Tishkovets was cited by the RIA Novosti news agency as saying.

https://www.rte.ie/news/weather/2021/0210/1196362-weather-world/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭highdef

Frontal zone looks a little more active at this point than modelled.

The initial push intensity should be further declined by now which means this part may get a bit further north than originally forecast. It's one county away from Dub land.

lastsnowradar_uk.gif

Unless someone from the likes of Portlaoise or Carlow towns can confirm that there is a decent fall of snow occurring now, I wouldn't be too keen to believe those radar returns for the leading edge. This has happened numerous times in the past when (usually a warm) front is approaching from the west or southwest and the non-Met Eireann radar sites report falling snow/precipitation well ahead of where it's actually reaching the ground.

Whilst what is shown may well be technically correct, it would only be so because the radar is picking up falling precipitation but where it picks it up, it's at quite a height and may well not be reaching the ground. This would be more exaggerated at the moment due to the very dry air ahead of the front so a lot of the snow will be evaporating before it reaches ground level.

Met Eireann radar suggests that the precipitation has not yet reached towns such as Athlone, Tullamore, Portlaoise and Carlow. Can anyone there confirm that it is snowing in any of those areas? And not just a bit of dandruff in the wind but at least moderate snow (and most likely accumulations) as suggested in the Meteociel/non Met Eireann radar sequence.

The Met Eireann radar shows the front still making very slow progress however it looks to be slowing further as the leading edge is weakening. Mid-western regions look to be still doing very well but there appears to be a good bit of weakening and fragmenting along with a near stall of the front in the eastern third of the country.

Gah, very heavy snow showers now in Cork City but everything is soaked and its sticking nowhere

Which is testament to how crap this easterly was the last few days.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

If it is to get milder it will be some jolt to the system,it is Baltic out there,temps dont reflect it but that's the coldest its felt for a long while

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭natc

highdef wrote: »
    Unless someone from the likes of Portlaoise or Carlow towns can confirm that there is a decent fall of snow occurring now, I wouldn't be too keen to believe those radar returns for the leading edge. This has happened numerous times in the past when (usually a warm) front is approaching from the west or southwest and the non-Met Eireann radar sites report falling snow/precipitation well ahead of where it's actually reaching the ground.

Whilst what is shown may well be technically correct, it would only be so because the radar is picking up falling precipitation but where it picks it up, it's at quite a height and may well not be reaching the ground. This would be more exaggerated at the moment due to the very dry air ahead of the front so a lot of the snow will be evaporating before it reaches ground level.

Met Eireann radar suggests that the precipitation has not yet reached towns such as Athlone, Tullamore, Portlaoise and Carlow. Can anyone there confirm that it is snowing in any of those areas? And not just a bit of dandruff in the wind but at least moderate snow (and most likely accumulations).

The Met Eireann radar shows the front still making very slow progress however it looks to slowing further as the leading edge is weakening. Mid-western regions look to be still doing very well but there appears to be a good bit of weakening and fragmenting along with a near stall of the front in the eastern third of the country.

I can confirm it has started snowing in Carlow town in the last 10 minutes. It’s snowing sideways but it’s still snowing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I have no interest in rain / snow events, snow only please . Would rather dry weather any day of the week. Freezing but dry day in Dublin and great to see the garden dried out
    Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Which is testament to how crap this easterly was the last few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭sunbeam

corsav6 wrote: »
    Wind and more wind here outside Newport, Mayo. Seen some small bit of snow blowing in the wind but nothing to get excited about.

Same here in Achill now. Mountains are blanketed in cloud so I imagine they will be getting a pasting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

conditions in west mayo,

Not a speck out here.. cannot get warm so closing a while . Chilled to the very bone

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Birtles

snowing here for last two hrs, sticking to all verticial surfaces, due to the wind, but alas not the ground.
    unless the kids learn to build horizontal snowmen, we are done!

140m ASL, west of cork city

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

This week had nice weather up here. Sunny days and average frosty nights. Ground nice and dry.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement