Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Snowing in Cork City!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

froog wrote: »
    meanwhile, in russia...

"This is a real snow storm, snow Armageddon, snow apocalypse, this not a drill, but combat," Mr Tishkovets was cited by the RIA Novosti news agency as saying.

https://www.rte.ie/news/weather/2021/0210/1196362-weather-world/

I wonder do kids in Russia or the American Mid West get all winter joy out of snow ball fights, sledging and building snow men, or are they bored of it by mid November.

I was always amazed in Australia, in the height of summer you didn't see kids playing outside until the very last bit of sun went down like we would here til night fall on one of those really great long summer nights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

3.4°c in West Clare now and almost all remnants of snow are gone. Extremely fast thaw considering the low temps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Graces7 wrote: »
    conditions in west mayo,

Not a speck out here.. cannot get warm so closing a while . Chilled to the very bone

Throw a bit extra on the fire Graces! Keep well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

That initial push of precipitation amounted to nothing here in Wexford. Seems to be breaking up now. A further wave of precipitation heading east from cork but looking at the speed of the front and what came of the first one I'm not holding my breath

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

METAR: EINN 111300Z 11014KT 9999 -RA FEW005 BKN012 BKN020 02/01 Q1015 TEMPO 2000 BKN003

Shannon at 1pm, 2 deg and light rain..

JCX BXC wrote: »
    3.4°c in West Clare now and almost all remnants of snow are gone. Extremely fast thaw considering the low temps.

Proximity to the sea maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Seymour20

conditions in west mayo,

Doesn’t seem to be sticking too well for yourself either. Coming up on two hours of snow here now but we have less snow now than we did about 30 mins into it.
    Outside Westport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,565 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Heavy snow in Galway west. Beautiful.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

bazlers wrote: »
    A good asses cart load of it in here at times too:)

That Carlow Weather lad was on the radio earlier in the week saying if there was any it could well only be confined to the East and Dublin in particular.

It seems if anything everywhere is getting a bit of it bar Dublin!

• Advertisement

Seymour20 wrote: »
    Doesn’t seem to be sticking too well for yourself either. Coming up on two hours of snow here now but we have less snow now than we did about 30 mins into it.
    Outside Westport.

Jaysus, it will have to come down sometime :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Snowing in Cork City!

That’s an optimistic description of it :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,202 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Whatever about the snow its been a long time feeling windchill like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Interesting, that snow warning must suggest the front is moving further north east than was expected. Perhaps Leinster and ulster coming into play now. Just shows these precipitation models are a lottery

Its a different Atlantic front on Saturday noting to do with todays frontal system. Saturday looks a more notable day for snowfall than today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭highdef

natc wrote: »
    I can confirm it has started snowing in Carlow town in the last 10 minutes. It’s snowing sideways but it’s still snowing!

Have you got much in the way of accumulation going on? Would be good to get a few reports from a few of the other towns I mentioned.....Athlone, Tullamore, Portlaoise.

I see that Met Eireann shows that there may be some light snow falling in Portlaoise now, very/quite light though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I wonder do kids in Russia or the American Mid West get all winter joy out of snow ball fights, sledging and building snow men, or are they bored of it by mid November.

I was always amazed in Australia, in the height of summer you didn't see kids playing outside until the very last bit of sun went down like we would here til night fall on one of those really great long summer nights.

No as it is a normal part of life. When I lived in Orkney no one made a fuss as it happened for weeks every winter.

Here it is hype! We enjoyed it at a calmer level .I remember once standing at my cottage door during a power cut when there were feet of snow everywhere and just thinking that this is how it has been for generations . Calmness and normality. And of course we were equipped for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭KingJeremy

Our for a walk and while it’s been continuous snow for almost 3 hours, it’s not accumulating to much. Still, pretty to see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

sjb25 wrote: »
    Very light snow just starting co Wexford :)

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,091 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

High winds and flurries the last hour and a half in west Mayo. No accumulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭BrandonBay86

Gonzo I hope you get pleasantly surprised later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

highdef wrote: »
    Unless someone from the likes of Portlaoise or Carlow towns can confirm that there is a decent fall of snow occurring now, I wouldn't be too keen to believe those radar returns for the leading edge. This has happened numerous times in the past when (usually a warm) front is approaching from the west or southwest and the non-Met Eireann radar sites report falling snow/precipitation well ahead of where it's actually reaching the ground.

Whilst what is shown may well be technically correct, it would only be so because the radar is picking up falling precipitation but where it picks it up, it's at quite a height and may well not be reaching the ground. This would be more exaggerated at the moment due to the very dry air ahead of the front so a lot of the snow will be evaporating before it reaches ground level.

Met Eireann radar suggests that the precipitation has not yet reached towns such as Athlone, Tullamore, Portlaoise and Carlow. Can anyone there confirm that it is snowing in any of those areas? And not just a bit of dandruff in the wind but at least moderate snow (and most likely accumulations) as suggested in the Meteociel/non Met Eireann radar sequence.

The Met Eireann radar shows the front still making very slow progress however it looks to be slowing further as the leading edge is weakening. Mid-western regions look to be still doing very well but there appears to be a good bit of weakening and fragmenting along with a near stall of the front in the eastern third of the country.

Just started the past 10/15 mins in Carlow town. Nothing of note really. Very fine stuff, light, sideways in a strong wind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It's not too far away now from here. It certainly seems like the front is going to stall given the time its taking to get here

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

Very heavy snow now just outside Galway city. Been snowing now since 10 am.

That Carlow Weather lad was on the radio earlier in the week saying if there was any it could well only be confined to the East and Dublin in particular.

It seems if anything everywhere is getting a bit of it bar Dublin!

He was talking about earlier in the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I know there is a separate system for Saturday morning to hit us but met eireann saying we may get something later today too
    Its a different Atlantic front on Saturday noting to do with todays frontal system. Saturday looks a more notable day for snowfall than today.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

Biggest let down ever in Waterford 🀦ðŸ»*♀️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

SpitfireIV wrote: »
    Just started the past 10/15 mins in Carlow town. Nothing of note really. Very fine stuff, light, sideways in a strong wind.

Getting heavier now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

leahyl wrote: »
    That’s an optimistic description of it :-D

Dandruff I suppose! It's raining again :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

It's not too far away now from here. It certainly seems like the front is going to stall given the time its taking to get here

If it's anything like here, the leading edge of it will be heavier than the main body of it, but having said that, pepping up a little in intensity here again with an increasing growl to the wind.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

Heavy snow now, starting to stick.
    5k south of Tuam.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement