Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,825 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

He was talking about earlier in the week.

That lad is the biggest ramper/hype man going

More cynical ppl than I would say he deliberately hypes up weather events to boost his own profile...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    If it's anything like here, the leading edge of it will be heavier than the main body of it, but having said that, pepping up a little in intensity here again with an increasing growl to the wind.

How long has it been snowing there?

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

Graces7 wrote: »
    No as it is a normal part of life. When I lived in Orkney no one made a fuss as it happened for weeks every winter.

Here it is hype! We enjoyed it at a calmer level .I remember once standing at my cottage door during a power cut when there were feet of snow everywhere and just thinking that this is how it has been for generations . Calmness and normality. And of course we were equipped for it.

Whilst your point is valid , I have to pull you about weeks of snow on Orkney , that has never ever been the case . Yes , we do get snow most years but it’s a couple of days or more at best but certainly never weeks of snow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭smallgarden

Just started very lightly snowing in Portlaoise

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

Best snow for me since 2018 and 2nd best since 2010. Not too often we get 4 hours of continuous snow near Galway city. With possibly 2 or 3 hours still left in the front.
    Also looking at the radar it seems to be intensifying just over Galway Bay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,745 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Birtles wrote: »
    snowing here for last two hrs, sticking to all verticial surfaces, due to the wind, but alas not the ground.
    unless the kids learn to build horizontal snowmen, we are done!

140m ASL, west of cork city

Birtles, west of cork city also but at 230m, the snow is staying.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭watlantic

If it's anything like here, the leading edge of it will be heavier than the main body of it, but having said that, pepping up a little in intensity here again with an increasing growl to the wind.

Let's just hope it doesn't fizzle out, eh sorry, snizzle out:D

Currently in Robertstown co Kildare

plenty wind but no snow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

sean555 wrote: »
    Best snow for me since 2018 and 2nd best since 2010. Not too often we get 4 hours of continuous snow near Galway city. With possibly 2 or 3 hours still left in the front.
    Also looking at the radar it seems to be intensifying just over the Galway Bay.

yep

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭molly dolly

More cynical ppl than I would say he deliberately hypes up weather events to boost his own profile...

He is actually very balanced and had at all times downplayed the tabloid type headlines which are hardly his fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,949 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

We have snow !'
    Am happy !

Eta , Portlaoise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Artane2002

snizzling in Dublin 5 again

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Brz555

sean555 wrote: »
    Also looking at the radar it seems to be intensifying just over the Galway Bay.

Blizzard like here in the city, be great if the front stalled over us for another few hours

He is actually very balanced and had at all times downplayed the tabloid type headlines which are hardly his fault.

I have my own views, don’t want to derail the thread so won’t say any more

Still no snow in north Kildare - bitterly cold though.

And so it begins... a few flakes in the wind:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

How long has it been snowing there?

Since about 11.30am. It's the kind of snow that blows as much up as it does fall down.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Is met.ie the best place to look at radars?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

And he posts on here too. He often gets confused with the tabloid types unfairly.

Looks like the front is dying out around Carlow... hasn't progressed north much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

@Villain meet @Beechwoodspark

@Beechwoodspark meet @Villain

:eek:

:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Snowing here in south Laois since just before 1pm, generally light but persistent. Occasional moderate intensities. Too windy for sticking yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭kegg

Hope they keep coming in the foxford direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,091 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Graces7 wrote: »
    No as it is a normal part of life. When I lived in Orkney no one made a fuss as it happened for weeks every winter.

Here it is hype! We enjoyed it at a calmer level .I remember once standing at my cottage door during a power cut when there were feet of snow everywhere and just thinking that this is how it has been for generations . Calmness and normality. And of course we were equipped for it.

Not so in the states Grace. Snowball fights, snowmen, outdoor ice skating and sledding are the norm.

Since about 11.30am. It's the kind of snow that blows up as much up as it does fall down.

It's very small snow here, and dancing around in the wind as you say.
    Hopefully it will get heavier and become blizzard like soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭fattymuatty

We are in Loughrea and my daughter just measured the snow outside. She reckons the average is 6cm deep at the moment. It has been snowing nonstop here since half 10/11ish.

Getting a bit heavier now. I love the way you can see it coming in the distance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Lucky you to have flakes in the wind .. only flakes I have seen today are cornflakes in Portmarnock ! Not a white one insight!

Danno wrote: »
      Snowing here in south Laois since just before 1pm, generally light but persistent. Occasional moderate intensities. Too windy for sticking yet!

Won't stick at all in Arklow so,gusting 50kmh if it ever gets here...
      Currently 1.9/-3.9c

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

Carlow town just the front edge of it now. There's a good wind and just light snow but should hopefully get better in the next few hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Patchy wet snow was all I hard here in kilkenny

Very jealous of those pics in Cappawhite etc

Will there be more showers? I remember this was one spoke about as a near 12 hour event

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

A light dusting, if one was putting a light dusting of icing sugar onto a cake they would be proud.

Building very slowly due to being light snow.

This discussion has been closed.
    Advertisement