Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭highdef

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Is met.ie the best place to look at radars?

Absolutely, maybe....lol. What's your location?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

RobertKK wrote: »
    A light dusting, if one was putting a light dusting of icing sugar onto a cake they would be proud.

Building very slowly due to being light snow.

The New Years snow was definitely more kind to us here North Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

Front maybe not stalling over the city but it is definitely pepping up over Galway Bay.
    The heavier bursts should be getting to Athenry and Craughwell soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Banarol

Snowing heavily in the Thurles area since 10 this morning. No sign of easing. Whiteout

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Birtles

Water John wrote: »
    Birtles, west of cork city also but at 230m, the snow is staying.

ahh, im on the way with the kids!

you are on the right side of marginal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

The Eastern half of the front looks to be to be thinning out a lot on the Met E radar :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

highdef wrote: »
    Absolutely, maybe....lol. What's your location?

Cork :)

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Mimon wrote: »
    The Eastern half of the front looks to be to be thinning out a lot on the Met E radar :(

Nooooooooooo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Thewife wrote: »
    Biggest let down ever in Waterford 🀦ðŸ»*♀️

Yeah I though we were nailed on for snow :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Probably is, but it could also just be the Wicklow Mountains Radar shadow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Struggling to make much impact into Leinster. Pity.

Nooooooooooo

More coming behind but not sure if what we have heading to the midlands is the main part of the front?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭netbeatz

Yeah I though we were nailed on for snow :(

Looked that way all along and then we end up with the mess we have outside

Snow Shield holds again

Calibos wrote: »
    Probably is, but it could also just be the Wicklow Mountains Radar shadow.

No where near there yet. It's heading into the midlands now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

But we knew that would happen

These fronts very rarely make it to Dublin with Snow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

kegg wrote: »
    Hope they keep coming in the foxford direction.

You are probably going to get some of the ones that landed here in Ballyvary as I have seen them land and take off again in that wind!
    Flakes blowing about in the wind here on and off over the past hour but no real intensity yet to any snowfall. Ground still bone dry. The front has really struggled to make real progress here and it seemed to be stopped in its tracks for a good while. Will see what the next hour or two brings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭squarecircles

heavier,starting to stick,west mayo,baltic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Not so in the states Grace. Snowball fights, snowmen, outdoor ice skating and sledding are the norm.

Snowsports yes as they are the norm, and there are always the means for them , j but not the kind of hype we see here....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Struggling to make much impact into Leinster. Pity.

Yeah, Tipperary robbed Kilkenny again
    I'm not sour at all :mad::o:p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Viz the Mayo snow video just now, being honest we have had about 4 hours during the last hours of conditions like that here in Cork, but it just doesn't stick. If all of it had stuck....but I suppose that's up there with if my aunty had balls she'd.....

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Grogu1983

The snow had reached Tinahely Co wicklow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭brookers

I have my own views, don’t want to derail the thread so won’t say any more

Still no snow in north Kildare - bitterly cold though.

You are completely wrong, all week he is telling everybody that this is NOT THE BEAST, Janey just shows how social media can take a man's rep away. He also has told his followers to ignore tabloids, if anything he is very cautious. I see no difference in his model watching, most of it is no different from RTE and sometimes they get it wrong too. If he gets on radio, fair play to him, he takes leave from his job to do a bit of harmless model watching.....Snow is extremely hard to predict, lived all my life in the wicklow mountains and know that at times the experts got it totally wrong and we ended up snowed in for days.....

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭watlantic

Proper snow falling near Westport and starting to stick.
    Sky getting darker, which I take as a good sign...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I think it will be Friday night/Saturday morning before any snow reaches Dublin/Meath, then the mild pushes through later on Saturday afternoon and evening. The frontal snow is decaying quickly on it's way to central and northern Leinster. Tomorrow should be a mostly dry and cold day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

Some flakes falling in Kildare now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Whilst your point is valid , I have to pull you about weeks of snow on Orkney , that has never ever been the case . Yes , we do get snow most years but it’s a couple of days or more at best but certainly never weeks of snow

I lived ten years in Orkney! We had weeks of snow most winters.

Outer Northern Isles though so maybe that is the difference . I think we have spoken before and you are Stromness which is tucked in very close to the Scottish mainland whereas we were deep out in ocean and sea. It makes a climatic difference .

Have a look at a local map? eg at North Ronaldsay's position?

It lasted weeks almost every year. Deep snow. My Home Help would arrive on a tractor. And looking after my livestock in deep snow was interesting .

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Seymour20

In a bizarre turn of events the snow has started to stick to all surfaces here after earlier sleet. Really pelting down snow now. Was not expecting that at all.
    Outside Westport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Snow has just started outside Roscommon Town. Very windy also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

He was talking about earlier in the week.

Well he was wrong then as well I guess. You wouldn't have built a snow man here unless you wanted to let your kids climb on the roof and scavange for what bits and pieces the rain missed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement