Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

blizzard like conditions claregalway unreal amount has fallen down the back. pics soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Viz the Mayo snow video just now, being honest we have had about 4 hours during the last hours of conditions like that here in Cork, but it just doesn't stick. If all of it had stuck....but I suppose that's up there with if my aunty had balls she'd.....

Far too windy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Ice cream van coming around. Is he f*cking joking? :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

So glad to hear that some locations are getting decent snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Looking at the radar it does begin to look like a primarily west of the Shannon event. Didn't see that happening. Thought, for example, Waterford was a shoe in for snow and KK would be the sweet spot, but no. Looks like Tipp managed to masquerade as west coasters though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The snow has become very light again and is small.
    Nothing sticking so far either.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

Whats the story with Carlow? We were suppose to be getting the best of this yet it's just specs of snow floating around in the wind, is the best yet to come or something?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

It’s really windy here, 30-40 mph gusts! It was sunny and has clouded over.

Such a pity as it was a lovely day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Took a snow break to get out of the house with one of the kids, its actually very nice snow where it has settled on the grass and paths, lovely crunch under foot and makes a mean snowball.
    Atlantic muck it is not.

Any snow we scraped up was quickly filled in during the heaviest bursts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Ice cream van coming around. Is he f*cking joking? :pac:

Thats drugs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Grogu1983

Light snow falling in Tinahely co wicklow now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Graces7 wrote: »
    I lived ten years in Orkney! We had weeks of snow most winters.

Outer Northern Isles though so maybe that is the difference . I think we have spoken before and you are Stromness which is tucked in very close to the Scottish mainland whereas we were deep out in ocean and sea. It makes a climatic difference .

Have a look at a local map? eg at North Ronaldsay's position?

It lasted weeks almost every year. Deep snow. My Home Help would arrive on a tractor. And looking after my livestock in deep snow was interesting .

I can't even imagine!

I like my snow, pretty to look at or romp around in for a day or so, but my God, I could not live in a harsh weather climate!

Orkney has an average high of 6c and average low of 2c. So can’t see weeks of snow

For that I would think you would need an average high of 3c.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭screamer

In fairness to villain, he did an in depth model analysis on his Facebook account 2 days ago and went through the models and likely outcomes. There was no ramping or false promises, it was very much a take what you will out of the models and time will tell which got it right.
    I enjoy his dedication to the weather and Carlow!!

Here in north KK south Laois it’s snowing the past hour or so, but miserable little bits, not big enough, and not enough of it to give accumulations. It’s sticking to rough surfaces, but it’d want to stay like this for days to make anything significant. So far it’s a bust! Ah well. Ordering a swimming pool for the kids later this week, bring on the better weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Just as i said that it's becoming a bit heavier again, but it's all melting on impact. I thought the ground would have cooled down enough over the last few days but obviously not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Any snow we scraped up was quickly filled in during the heaviest bursts.

when did you have the last snow shower?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Orkney has an average high of 6c and average low of 2c. So can’t see weeks of snow

For that I would think you would need an average high of 3c.

:rolleyes: Have you even been to Orkney?

Kamili wrote: »
    :rolleyes: Have you even been to Orkney?

NO I have not but I’m well aware of what you need to keep snow on the ground for weeks on end, and it’s not going to survive at 6c, especially if the min is 2c.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,091 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Graces7 wrote: »
    Snowsports yes as they are the norm, and there are always the means for them , j but not the kind of hype we see here....

No surprise with the hype here though, it's such a novelty for kids (and adults).

Picked up here in west Mayo last half hour, hopefully it will continue so we can get some snowmen made.

• Advertisement

Well he was wrong then as well I guess. You wouldn't have built a snow man here unless you wanted to let your kids climb on the roof and scavange for what bits and pieces the rain missed.

He wasn’t any more wrong than anybody else, ME included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭mojesius

Snizzly stuff just started, south Wicklow 130m asl

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭bazlers

Very heavy.......cloud here.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

Still snowing here just outside Galway city. Getting lighter though and looking at the radar it looks like we may be in the last hour or so of the front.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I can't even imagine!

I like my snow, pretty to look at or romp around in for a day or so, but my God, I could not live in a harsh weather climate!

Also we had around 4 hours of daylight in the depths of winter - and almost no darkness in summer. It was an interesting and challenging life and I was sorry to leave in many ways. Out here is the nearest I could get!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Brendan offaly

Started to snow here in Tullamore.
    Light snow but extremely gusty.
    By far the coldest day of the year( feel wise) .
    According to yr weather it’s only light snow for us for a few hours then stop until around midnight, a heavy burst then for a few hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Acosta

Fairly blizzard like conditions on high ground outside Cork city for the last hour or two. Too wet from all the rain earlier to stick, although it's trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭snowgal

Cw85 wrote: »
    Whats the story with Carlow? We were suppose to be getting the best of this yet it's just specs of snow floating around in the wind, is the best yet to come or something?

still to come in next hour or 2 I think.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,332 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Cw85 wrote: »

No, its a bust. The front is breaking up, I imagine due to the higher pressure and ultra low humidity or something.

Can we say now, basically nothing in store for the east and north except a cold wind?

• Advertisement

No surprise with the hype here though, it's such a novelty for kids (and adults).

Picked up here in west Mayo last half hour, hopefully it will continue so we can get some snowmen made.

lol.. I agree!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement